Limited Invulnerability

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Limited Invulnerability

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I already asked about the issues with kinetic force and this spell, but I thought of another question. This is regarding the glowing aura. The book states the spell creates "a form fitting energy field which appears as a dimly glowing aura around the body..." (Main Book p 202). How tight is this field? Is it skin tight, or does it cover clothing as well? Would it go over armor or thick, cold weather clothing? If you cast it and then put something on, like a cloak, would it expand to cover the cloak, or would the cloak cover it?

-Vek
"Vulnerable to musings."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Limited Invulnerability

Unread post by kiralon »

Another question would be does it go over your sword/weapon as well and stop actual contact between enemy and your weapon.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Personally I play it as it only goes over the person and doesn't protect your items from damage and it gives you temporary sdc (hp for first ed), so in second ed it makes you immune to deathblow and the like which normally go straight to hp, but now still have to take the magic sdc off first.
This also means any strike that doesn't penetrate your armour still does damage to your armour.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, the spell starts off by saying "makes the individual" (does not say individual and what they're wearing, or anything like that). The part you quoted says "around the body." Clothing, armor, and other items are not part of your body. Some of that may sound like nitpicking, and I might see the possibility for it covering more if we didn't keep reading. However, when we go further we get lines like: "Once the magic S.D.C. is exhausted, the person will suffer normal damage to his own S.D.C. and hit points ..." This mentions the person, and the character's "own S.D.C. and hit points," which tells us this is what the magical S.D.C. was protecting (not the armor's S.D.C., or clothing's S.D.C., or any other S.D.C. between your "body" and the attack). This, to me, would rule out armor. You might be able to still try to argue for clothing, but this starts to become the point where you need to provide support for that claim instead of just wild speculation.

Yes, the magic appears as an aura. That line does NOT tell us how large the aura is, nor does it say that everything within the aura is protected. To state a different way, the field creates a visible aura, that does not mean the aura is the field. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My rule of thumb for such things is that they generally conform to the aura of what cast them... for most mortals, that's about a handsbreadth from their skin, enough to encompass armor.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The way I treat the effects of this spell is that it gives a few immunities and a magic ff to absorb things that would of gotten through the immunities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Letting it protect clothes is munchy, just the skin makes mages more balanced. If you want to protect your armor you should uses Energy Field.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

This simplest solution is probably the correct one. It covers the person and their cloths and armor. No need to nitpick.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My personal handling is that it protects clothing. This is just because I have a high portion of players playing minors and don't want to deal with the issues generated there.
However it protects clothing not armor, not battle-suits, just regular old, no SDC no AR clothing. If you want to protect anything other than basic light clothing... use a different spell.

Just my house thoughts on the issue.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Maybe to deal with the nudity problem in PF there are undergarments which are magically considered part of the person?

Sometimes nudity just comes up. A werewolf in a fire for example.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”