Awarding bonus experience

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Awarding bonus experience

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

The game I'm running with my kids will shortly have them completing their first mission for the Wolfen Empire, delivering two chests full of books and scrolls to Bletherad. They had several run ins with Zealotry agents, discovered the old home of a Changeling from the age of the Prestida Kings, rescued a dragon egg from some harpies and returned the egg to its mother. Now the're on the boat to Bletherad.
Progress experience wise has been somewhat slower than I'm accustomed to. I've been tossing around the idea of giving them a bonus for completing the quest (it took up about 6-8 sessions). Does anyone else give experience in this way that can give a bit of a guideline that you use for determining the amount?
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Awarding bonus experience

Unread post by kiralon »

slow experience gain is ok as the game is best at level 1-7. Rather than giving xp how about rewarding them in other ways, like having the Blethorad protectors having heard of them and their run ins with the zealotry and giving them a permanent discount at the library of %20, or a as a reward for their efforts a treasure map to lost/sunken treasure.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

When I GM a game (online) I gave out bonus exp. for showing up 1st, showing up at all, and in game RPing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:slow experience gain is ok as the game is best at level 1-7. Rather than giving xp how about rewarding them in other ways, like having the Blethorad protectors having heard of them and their run ins with the zealotry and giving them a permanent discount at the library of %20, or a as a reward for their efforts a treasure map to lost/sunken treasure.

For an example of experience, last session exp ranged from 100-275. So they're going up quite slowly. I'm not sure if it's just how I dole out experience or just the game in general, but I remember going up faster when my buddies and I played regularly.
As for other rewards, they've discovered a crystal gateway and several crystal devices in a facility built into the Algor Mountains, earned the enmity of the Zealotry, earned the respect of the scholar they are travelling with which will get them some special treatment at Bletherad, earned the goodwill of an adult dragon who also gave them some magical rewards, and impressed the Faustus in charge of their mission. So they're pretty covered in that regard so far.
I've played other games that had exp amounts for finishing major quests and would like to try it out, but am looking for some people who have done it for a guideline.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

When I give out bonus xp its usually 250 - 500 xp for each side mission successfully done plus 500 xp per level for end of scene/adventure is successful..
Hmm that does seem low for a session, I average about 800-1200 per session but I do double the skill xp if used when needed and if successful. (50 rather than 25)
but in saying that some people think I don't give enough xp.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

This session was without combat, but I'm trying to add in a few like that regularly to give them a better feel for the role aspect. When we have combat they are generally getting around 5-800 depending on what the character does.
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

I personaly am fan of quest/arc xp awards
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Saitou Hajime wrote:I personaly am fan of quest/arc xp awards

Do you have any guidelines that you follow for determining the amount?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'm a fan of bonus experience; I find the leveling in PF to be too slow, such that GMs tend to handwave it.

I'd almost be tempted to import 3.x's experience system, just for the simple mathematics of it.

However, I don't think bonuses of 1000+ XP, if you want a faster-leveling game, are out of line. Maybe 1000*average party level? It means that many completed adventures will result in a level, but you might ping in the middle of an adventure if you work hard and well.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm sort of the opposite. I think it's better for people to level slowly. It allows the player to have experience commensurate with the character. I am, however, fine with material rewards. I think it's always a good idea for the PC's to have some tangible reward they can take with them.

-Vek
"Not a power gamer."
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I'm not looking to bump them a level from bonus experience alone. I was thinking in the 5-750 range for completing an average multi session quest. Maybe more if they get into a truly epic quest that is especially tough, like 1000-1500 when they are higher level.
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Whiskeyjack wrote:
Saitou Hajime wrote:I personaly am fan of quest/arc xp awards

Do you have any guidelines that you follow for determining the amount?

Depends on the system or arc, six sessions would likely be 300 for 1 - 5 levels, another 50 per sessions until ten then 100 per session past ten.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'm sort of the opposite. I think it's better for people to level slowly. It allows the player to have experience commensurate with the character. I am, however, fine with material rewards. I think it's always a good idea for the PC's to have some tangible reward they can take with them.

-Vek
"Not a power gamer."

Low levels can be a lot of failure which frustrates people. I find around five to be reasonable chance of using ones skills and the like.

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

I'd definitely give out xp for completing a quest. The xp system from palladium always gave progression that was too slow for my taste.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”