Necromancer O.C.C. and optional fast casting rule:

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

XarXar
D-Bee

Necromancer O.C.C. and optional fast casting rule:

Unread post by XarXar »

I am an incompetent rule lawyer and I was wondering if there would be any impact to the Necromancers abilities to use his\her transformations if our campaign is using the optional rule for fast casting. It is stated in the duration section that “the entire incantation and the tying of the limbs to the subject takes one full melee round.”

So with Fast casting speeding up all spells would that impact the incantation? Also what if the limb is already tied to the Necromancer?

thanks
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Necromancer O.C.C. and optional fast casting rule:

Unread post by Library Ogre »

IF the limb were already tied, he might be able to use some of the fast-casting options (I can't remember which of the ones I wrote that got in).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
XarXar
D-Bee

Unread post by XarXar »

Thank you for your replay.

To be clear I am referring to the optional fast spell casting rule as defined in the Mysteries of magic book one page 55. To summaries level 1-5 spells take 1 melee action 6-10 take 2 melee actions and so on.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

No, that sounds more like a specialized mini-ritual to me, and the fast casting rules don't apply to rituals.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have just reviewed both the high seas text and the text in Byzantium.

The First thing, I am presuming that we are talking about both the class power #1 and #2.

While the text says the necro has an incantation to make these magics happen, both texts in each of the books is clear, it takes 15sec or a full melee to complete the magic. The Byzantium text was published after the MoM1 text so it is clear that the full melee round is a static time requirement/a time requirement that cannot be changed.

The last thing I would point out is that the casting times in MoM1 (and RUE) are level based. As such an incantation needs a level score to be used with them.

If I was to set a level to the necro #1/#2 class powers incantations they would be at a level where they would cost a full melee to cast. The other option would be to consider them to be quasi rituals as Glistam has suggested.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I can't believe we don't just accept Mark's word as gospel on this. He literally wrote the book.

-Vek
"Then again, he did waffle a bit."
Library Ogre

Veknironth wrote:Well, I can't believe we don't just accept Mark's word as gospel on this. He literally wrote the book.

-Vek

TBH, I'm not sure which speed-up he's talking about. I had two in the manuscript.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
XarXar
D-Bee

Unread post by XarXar »

Mark Hall wrote:
Veknironth wrote:Well, I can't believe we don't just accept Mark's word as gospel on this. He literally wrote the book.

-Vek

TBH, I'm not sure which speed-up he's talking about. I had two in the manuscript.

To be clear I am referring to the optional fast spell casting rule as defined in the Mysteries of magic book one page 55. To summaries the rule level 1-5 spells take 1 melee action 6-10 take 2 melee actions and so on. not the rapid-fire spell casting with the casting result table.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

-Vek

If his manuscript was what we were talking about I would agree. But it's been brought up before that the published book was different in many ways from the submitted manuscript.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre

XarXar wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

-Vek

To be clear I am referring to the optional fast spell casting rule as defined in the Mysteries of magic book one page 55. To summaries the rule level 1-5 spells take 1 melee action 6-10 take 2 melee actions and so on. not the rapid-fire spell casting with the casting result table.

I haven't looked at that book since shortly after it came out... certainly not to page numbers. My guess is that those rules bring them up to speed with the RUE, and so would lean towards the spell or power description taking precedence over them, especially since it's tied to a concrete physical action. If everything were tied in place beforehand, then maybe you can go with the faster method... but especially as those are class abilities and not proper spells, I wouldn't argue too hard with a GM who said they were out of bounds for the general speeding of magic that the RUE offered in.

All Palladium Articles
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I like the idea of stacking both rules you put in HoM, I think the other was you could double-time it (not sure if that means 2 low levels in 1 attack, that would be cool) but in exchange you roll on some random mishap table.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”