Map Project: The Eastern Territory: 100% Done!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Re: Map Project: The Eastern Territory (Sculpting the Land)

Unread post by Hotrod »

Update: Happy Halloween! The land sculpt is done, and in my frenzy of work yesterday and over the weekend, I threw in some other features to boot. The only natural features left to add in now are the forests. Then come icons, labels, ley lines, and all the peripherals.

Please take a good, hard look at the map and let me know if you see any issues. I'll probably do one final revision of this land sculpt in a week or two.
Here is the wood-less, bare geography.

New features:
+Climates! The map now includes a grassland-type climate and some prairie coloring in canon-appropriate areas. Additionally, the Howling Lands are colorless and dead, per the canon description. I also gave the Old Kingdom grasslands, Froud Grasslands, and Highbacked plains a smeared, eroded look.
+Bathymetry! The map now includes water depths (other than the shallows by the coast, they're random, since there's no canon info on them)
+I reduced the height of the Shattered Mountains. These mountains are described as not as high as the major mountain ranges of the world and don't appear on many world maps, so this seemed appropriate. They're still tall, just not quite the snow-capped peaks of the Belimar or Old Kingdom Mountains.
+The Great Canal/River now stretches from the Inland Sea to the ocean.
+I added a whole lot of small waterways and lowered the land to create a recognizeable Wyndglade Marsh in the Peningshir Peninsula.
+I fixed many small rivers to be consistent with canon and my earlier maps, especially down in Timiro. There will be a few small discrepancies, especially with my earlier maps, since the rivers are generated from the terrain sculpt.

Despite this being the 7th draft of this land sculpt I've put together, a few minor issues remain that I'll fix when I feel like it:
-I made a minor mistake on the Old Kingdom River at the north side of the big bend in it. It's barely noticeable, but it's there.
-The Great River is supposed to flow East all along its length, but since rivers don't naturally flow through mountains, the erosion program split it in the Shattered Mountains. I connected the river manually, but the tributaries west of the mountains seem to flow west, not east. Again, barely noticeable, but it's there, and it annoys me.
-There's supposed to be a small lake where the Great Canal joins the Great River. I didn't draw one in.
-I messed up a little with the White Mountains in East Timiro. The lake is supposed to be in the Copper Hills, not in the middle of the White Rock Mountains. The White Rock Mountains are supposed to run a little to the north of that lake. Oops.
-Many of the river valleys in Timiro are over-defined and steeper than they probably should be, which makes that area look a bit too hilly.
-All the volcano craters are the same size, which isn't realistic. It's as if some lazy map-maker copied and pasted the same volcano shape a couple of times.
-The woods need some refinement, especially around Timiro. (this is a note to self for one of the later versions, just keeping my to-do-list in one place)

There are also a few minor issues that I have no intention whatsoever of fixing.
-I made no effort to match up the bathymetry for this map with the bathymetry from my Northern Wilderness map or my unreleased Inland Sea map. Apologies to all you submariners of Palladium Fantasy, but I only care about this feature for its aesthetics.
-There are some tiny islands in the Inland Sea that aren't in previously-published maps. These maps are in my unreleased Inland sea map that I made with input from Glen Evans, so they're not canon, but they might be someday.
Last edited by Hotrod on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Map Project: The Eastern Territory (Land Sculpt Complete

Unread post by Glistam »

Looks amazing so far!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Map Project: The Eastern Territory (Natural Geography DO

Unread post by Hotrod »

The natural geography is done. Here is version 1 of the map.It's essentially the same as the last version, but this one includes trees. I may come back and take another look at the trees, but for now, I'm satisfied enough to continue on.

Next, I'll put in some regional and natural feature labels.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

The map looks amazing so far Hotrod!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thanks!

I've been on a roll today waiting for some simulation results to come in (dissertation research can be like that sometimes) and I basically had most of the day and evening available to work on this map.

This evening's labor is complete, and here is the labeled natural geography map!

One more big push will finish this long-delayed project. The final version will probably take a few weeks, and it will include:
+Icons for all settlements in the Eastern Territory.
+Political borders and labels
+Thematic frame with a inscription
+Possibly, some heraldry and/or special icons for some of the different factions/cities on the map (Dominion cities, non-Dominion cities, Timiro cities, Wolfen cities, et cetera).

I'm undecided about whether I should make the final result an 11x17 inch creation with a large legend section (like my Northern Wilderness map) or just keep it at 8.5x11 like I have. That will probably depend on how much new heraldry I create.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Look god man. Quality just keeps on getting better. I find it fascinating that based on real world
geology and erosion that Palladium water system doesn't make sense.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

So I went through the Eastern Territory and Wolfen Empire book last night and made some notes in an effort to categorize the different types of settlements. There appear to be five different categories of settlements on this map:

1. 11 canon Members of the Dominion of Man: Southwatch, Llorn, Hadrian's Cove, Haven, Greenbough, Williamshire, Peningshir, New Crest, Wisdom, Lopan (including two towns that are on the map), and Phi (which is totally off this map).

2. 3 canon not-official-members-but-friendly-or-allied-to-it: Dain-Rurga, Northolme, Neven

3. 2 totally unaffiliated settlements: Kaash, Yeahk-Nark, Badd Land

4. too small to be important settlements: Sweet Creek, Glade, Yggdrasil,

5. Foreign Settlements that show up on the map: Everything in Timiro, two major Wolfen cities, 5-6 trading posts, Y-Oda's towns,

6. Settlements of Unknown affiliation: Raf-Chalon, the Elf Kingdom mentioned once in the ET book. There's also a colony on the north coast of the Inland Sea that falls on the map. I think it's a Lopan colony, but I don't know its exact allegiance.

Most of the members and friendly settlements have their own distinctive heraldry, which is an element that I'd like to include in the icons, rather like I did with the Northern Wilderness map (maybe with a kite shield, rather than the round bucklers I did for the Wolfen Empire). I could do a distinctive shape for Dominion settlement icons so that you can easily see which settlements are members of the Dominion and which aren't.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Looking good, is it possible for you to do the water like you did gnw, then I can get a massive map up on the wall of the RPG room. The icons are an easier way for the players to see where they are.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:Looking good, is it possible for you to do the water like you did gnw, then I can get a massive map up on the wall of the RPG room. The icons are an easier way for the players to see where they are.

I'm not quite sure what you mean; I tried to take the same approach to the water here that I did in GNW. Do you mean color balancing? The water is a bit darker in this version than in the final versions of the GNW map I made. I suppose I could try to match them up if that's what you're looking for.

I'll have a go at a new series of icons for this map based on a small kite shield design. I'm using the outline of Link's shield from the Zelda games as a starting point, so it's distinctive from the round heraldic shields of the Wolfen Empire, but it still fits in a compact area and isn't overly tall.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
kiralon wrote:Looking good, is it possible for you to do the water like you did gnw, then I can get a massive map up on the wall of the RPG room. The icons are an easier way for the players to see where they are.

I'm not quite sure what you mean; I tried to take the same approach to the water here that I did in GNW. Do you mean color balancing? The water is a bit darker in this version than in the final versions of the GNW map I made. I suppose I could try to match them up if that's what you're looking for.

I'll have a go at a new series of icons for this map based on a small kite shield design. I'm using the outline of Link's shield from the Zelda games as a starting point, so it's distinctive from the round heraldic shields of the Wolfen Empire, but it still fits in a compact area and isn't overly tall.

I was hoping for when I join them together there wouldn't be a noticeable water colour change where they join :)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

I was hoping for when I join them together there wouldn't be a noticeable water colour change where they join :)

I can match the colors fairly well, but you'll have to be careful how you join them, as they won't be at the same scale, and there are some small differences. If this is something that's important to you, I could probably redo the water in my Land of the Damned map at some point, too.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
kiralon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

I can match the colors fairly well, but you'll have to be careful how you join them, as they won't be at the same scale, and there are some small differences. If this is something that's important to you, I could probably redo the water in my Land of the Damned map at some point, too.

I was just mostly worried about the join lines, I like how the colder northern climates are a rich deep blue and the warmer climates are lighter and I think that works well, but if you were happy to blend the colours at the joins that would be better than watching drop bears jump tourists.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

This is just some of the thing that I have done to give the map a bit more validity with my players (as we have done a lot in Timiro and the southern part of ET) was to put Raf-Chalin on the map and move New Crest,to where it no longer invades space with what is on the Timiro map. Add in a few things, like a lighthouse at the small point east by northeast of wisdom. Also added some towns, villages, ports, etc to support the capitals.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I've been working on the heraldry for the past week, and now I'm pleased to present the heraldry of the Dominion of Man. I opted to take more of a kite shield shape to make the Dominion and its allies and friends stand out a bit more against the round shield heraldry of the Wolfen Empire.

All of these designs are made to match their canon descriptions. I have not done anything special for Phi or Lopan, as I am not aware of any descriptions of their flags or heraldry in canon (oddly, Eastern Territories omits this information, and so does High Seas). The Lopan cities that fall on the map will therefore get the default Dominion shield.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Those are pretty amazing looking Hotrod!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Update: I've placed the ley lines and icons on the map. Here's the current state of the map. I'm working on national and regional borders next, but I'm not fully satisfied with the settlements and ruins icons on the map.

One thing that bugs me a bit about Eastern Territory (the book) is how vague and undefined it leaves much of its area. The text describes villages, ruins, forts, and towns in vague terms describing a region, but only about a dozen are specifically located and described in detail. There are also a handful of "oh by the way" location mentions in the text: Raf-Chalon was mentioned, but there's also the cities of Ironshod and Adriana and the castles of Wyndglade Keep and Shading Fortress, a collection of unnamed and undescribed villages/ruins around Greenbough, and an inhabited ruin southwest of Kaash. I respect that Kevin likes to give GMs flexibility in what they include, but the details are very uneven.

It's difficult to decide what to throw in and what to keep out in some of these cases. In general, if I can fit in the icon and there's room for a label, I'm putting it in, but the ruins and villages in Greenbough county are too densely packed for me to map. This is compounded by the fact that the Greenbough County map does not match up with the map of the overall territory at all (the two maps show river systems that feed and flow in opposite directions). From Timiro, I'm only keeping the 10 cities and outlying forts, because if I put everything in, that area will be more crowded with icons and details than the focus of the map (I may change this later). On the flipside, there are large regions along the Old Kingdom River that are completely bare (just about everything downstream of Wisdom), which doesn't match the region's description, but since the regional description doesn't detail any specific places in that area of the river, I don't feel right just throwing something in.

I am throwing in all the city locations from the Elf/Dwarf War maps in Bletherad as ruins, which provide a few dots in an otherwise fairly bare area of the Old Kingdom. I hope to have a draft with political borders/labels within a few days.

tl;dr I'm making progress, and published canon on this region is a bit uneven and in places inconsistent.

pblackcrow wrote:This is just some of the thing that I have done to give the map a bit more validity with my players (as we have done a lot in Timiro and the southern part of ET) was to put Raf-Chalin on the map and move New Crest,to where it no longer invades space with what is on the Timiro map. Add in a few things, like a lighthouse at the small point east by northeast of wisdom. Also added some towns, villages, ports, etc to support the capitals.

All good ideas. I generally like to keep things as canon-compliant as possible, but the text is so vague that I could probably throw in a lot of smaller settlements. I should probably re-think some of my icon population scaling, too.
Last edited by Hotrod on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The map does look a little more bare than expected, but barring canon information on specific locations it feels like the right call. Maybe the political borders will make it seem less sparse.

Were you planning on adding any of the cities on Y-Oda, such as Bletherad?

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Glistam wrote:The map does look a little more bare than expected, but barring canon information on specific locations it feels like the right call. Maybe the political borders will make it seem less sparse.

Were you planning on adding any of the cities on Y-Oda, such as Bletherad?

How's this?

New issues:
-The compass rose' central symbol is wrong; it should be a boar. Piggy power!
-I plan on adding some flat symbols to the nations there (paw print, boar, and griffon for the Wolfen Empire, Eastern Territory, and Timiro)
-The Timiro label doesn't quite look right to me. "Kingdom" needs a shallower curve.
-Llorn has some forts along the Old Kingdom River I should add in.

Still to do:
-Frame
-Legend
-Thematic Text
-Edits of all three versions to fix the issues identified.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: Map Project: The Eastern Territory: Political Geography

I see there are four new Wolfen towns named. Are these canon names? They don't ring a bell when I read them, and they aren't on the Northern Wilderness map.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I see there are four new Wolfen towns named. Are these canon names? They don't ring a bell when I read them, and they aren't on the Northern Wilderness map.

Sort of? They come from Glen Evans, who has written the manuscript for Lopan and Phi, and has some insight into some of what's around the Inland Sea. They're not published canon yet, but they have a decent chance of becoming so, hence my decision to include them. I can edit them easily enough if they don't make the final cut in the (hopefully) upcoming product.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

looking forward to printing this out and putting up on the wall !
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I hope they stay canon and we get some information on them!
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

@Hotrod - You might want to recheck the map on Pg 42 of Eastern Territories book... it seems you have the Groff Estates on the wrong side of the peninsula (should be on the Eastern Coast, not the Western Coast; they are to either side of New Crest which is the Capitol of the Estates... not easy to be when it is on the other side of the peninsula)... plus there are a few marked towns there that you were asking about... Ironshod is on the southern tip of the peninsula (further south than you have it), while Luna Beach and Myrth are where you have the Groff Estates currently.

I know the first paragraph of the description says it is on the Western half... but the rest of the section makes mention of the Eastern portion of the peninsula... suggesting that the direction in that first paragraph was a missed editing error... especially given the maps provided in the book.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Razorwing wrote:@Hotrod - You might want to recheck the map on Pg 42 of Eastern Territories book... it seems you have the Groff Estates on the wrong side of the peninsula (should be on the Eastern Coast, not the Western Coast; they are to either side of New Crest which is the Capitol of the Estates... not easy to be when it is on the other side of the peninsula)... plus there are a few marked towns there that you were asking about... Ironshod is on the southern tip of the peninsula (further south than you have it), while Luna Beach and Myrth are where you have the Groff Estates currently.

I know the first paragraph of the description says it is on the Western half... but the rest of the section makes mention of the Eastern portion of the peninsula... suggesting that the direction in that first paragraph was a missed editing error... especially given the maps provided in the book.

This is why I like doing these progress threads. Thanks! Your interpretation of the text makes a lot more sense. I'll put those adjustments on the to-do list for revisions.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Razorwing
Hero

Hotrod wrote:
Razorwing wrote:@Hotrod - You might want to recheck the map on Pg 42 of Eastern Territories book... it seems you have the Groff Estates on the wrong side of the peninsula (should be on the Eastern Coast, not the Western Coast; they are to either side of New Crest which is the Capitol of the Estates... not easy to be when it is on the other side of the peninsula)... plus there are a few marked towns there that you were asking about... Ironshod is on the southern tip of the peninsula (further south than you have it), while Luna Beach and Myrth are where you have the Groff Estates currently.

This is why I like doing these progress threads. Thanks! Your interpretation of the text makes a lot more sense. I'll put those adjustments on the to-do list for revisions.

Your maps are some of the best I have ever seen... and I just want to help make it as accurate as it can be given the information available (we can't expect you to memorize every little detail with 100% accuracy now can we?). No one is perfect, but with the help of other fans like us, your maps can be as perfect as the information we currently have can be. :D We don't want another mistake like you made with the first map of the Shadow Coast (where the Kiridin lands were much larger than they should have been... and you've since corrected).

Also just noticed you have the Old City Ruins north of Wisdom along the Old Kingdom River... when it appears it should be west of Wisdom and north of Peningshir (with the same map as before). Given that Wisdom claims this site (according to the text), having where you do may make more sense, but I just wanted to point out the inconsistency (and that again, this might be an editing error and that Peningshir was meant to claim it). Your call on this one.

Any thoughts of doing a map of the Western Empire soon?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I very much appreciate the insight and the kind words. Though I am of course a big fan of the setting, I've never gotten into the Eastern Territory in depth before this. The ambiguity of location information in the text makes this one something of a challenge, but that's not unusual for maps based on Palladium's IPs. By all means, please keep the scrutiny and the feedback coming.

Given that Raf-Chalon (and some other minor places) lie betwen Wisdom and the Peningshir-controlled areas, and given that the Old City Ruins are on the "east and west" sides of the river(p187), and given that the Old City Ruins site needs to be in an area where the river is running relatively north-south, there don't seem to be a lot of options on where to place it. There's also a ferry to the west side of the Old City Ruins that's in Wisdom, which also suggests the ruins should be close to Wisdom (along with the fact that Wisdom claims it, as you mention. Putting the ruins just southwest of Wisdom would probably work, too, though it would crowd the labels together. I'll play with it a bit and see if I can make it work.

Regarding the Western Empire, I would love to take a crack at mapping it at some point. I've been doing a lot of Fantasy maps lately, and I rather like the idea of doing another Rifts map next if I'm just doing a map for fun (or maybe something totally unrelated to a Palladium property), so I'm not planning on making it soon. That said, I prioritize commissions, and Palladium Fantasy fans seem to be more interested in commissioning maps than Rifts fans, so it's possible.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Zy has 5 ley lines and two nexus points (one with just two lines, the other joins all five).

Otherwise, outstanding work as always!
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Braden Campbell wrote:Zy has 5 ley lines and two nexus points (one with just two lines, the other joins all five).

Otherwise, outstanding work as always!

Good call, I'd missed that bit in High Seas. I'll figure something out. Of course, there is a problem: it's geometrically impossible to draw five lines such that all five intersect in one point and two intersect in another. I'll fiddle around and see what I can come up with.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Razorwing
Hero

Hotrod wrote:I very much appreciate the insight and the kind words. Though I am of course a big fan of the setting, I've never gotten into the Eastern Territory in depth before this. The ambiguity of location information in the text makes this one something of a challenge, but that's not unusual for maps based on Palladium's IPs. By all means, please keep the scrutiny and the feedback coming.

Given that Raf-Chalon (and some other minor places) lie betwen Wisdom and the Peningshir-controlled areas, and given that the Old City Ruins are on the "east and west" sides of the river(p187), and given that the Old City Ruins site needs to be in an area where the river is running relatively north-south, there don't seem to be a lot of options on where to place it. There's also a ferry to the west side of the Old City Ruins that's in Wisdom, which also suggests the ruins should be close to Wisdom (along with the fact that Wisdom claims it, as you mention. Putting the ruins just southwest of Wisdom would probably work, too, though it would crowd the labels together. I'll play with it a bit and see if I can make it work.

Regarding the Western Empire, I would love to take a crack at mapping it at some point. I've been doing a lot of Fantasy maps lately, and I rather like the idea of doing another Rifts map next if I'm just doing a map for fun (or maybe something totally unrelated to a Palladium property), so I'm not planning on making it soon. That said, I prioritize commissions, and Palladium Fantasy fans seem to be more interested in commissioning maps than Rifts fans, so it's possible.

To be honest, there are likely many ruins along the Old Kingdom River that putting the Old City ruins closer to Wisdom (which is mentioned in the text as claiming them) probably makes more sense than where it is in the book (Wisdom would have to claim a very large area for them to have such a claim with that map). Just goes to show that we need both the maps and text to properly determine where something should be. It would be nice if Palladium Books could spend a little more time on editing to catch these minor glitches and contradictions... but then that would likely slow the time table for new books too... unless Kevin decides to delegate a little more of the responsibilities for quality to others (rather than try to do everything himself, but that is a whole different issue).

Keep up the great work Hotrod... and looking forward to the Western Empire when you are able to get around to it (out of curiosity though... what are your prices for commissions... or where can that be found?).
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Palladium can't spend the time to edit for basic grammar and spelling. I think ensuring all the actual info lines up is asking WAY to much of them.

I'm still of the mind that we should all pitch in $10-15 and get Hotrod to map the entire world.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Palladium can't spend the time to edit for basic grammar and spelling. I think ensuring all the actual info lines up is asking WAY to much of them.

I'm still of the mind that we should all pitch in $10-15 and get Hotrod to map the entire world.

I occasionally have to remind myself that interactive storytelling doesn't require a setting free of errors or contradictions. Even with their warts, Palladium's books set stages that are quite compelling to me. Although I try to sort out mistakes and inconsistencies as I go, my main goal with these maps (and the NPC generators) is to make and provide tools that improve the playing and reading experiences.

A couple of people have suggested I do something akin to a small Kickstarter for future map projects. I'm open to the idea, but I'm not sure how I'd want to work out the details. I'll think on it.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Razorwing wrote:To be honest, there are likely many ruins along the Old Kingdom River that putting the Old City ruins closer to Wisdom (which is mentioned in the text as claiming them) probably makes more sense than where it is in the book (Wisdom would have to claim a very large area for them to have such a claim with that map). Just goes to show that we need both the maps and text to properly determine where something should be. It would be nice if Palladium Books could spend a little more time on editing to catch these minor glitches and contradictions... but then that would likely slow the time table for new books too... unless Kevin decides to delegate a little more of the responsibilities for quality to others (rather than try to do everything himself, but that is a whole different issue).

Keep up the great work Hotrod... and looking forward to the Western Empire when you are able to get around to it (out of curiosity though... what are your prices for commissions... or where can that be found?).

I'm confused. Where is it's canon location in the book detailed? I was going by tangential hints, not by specifics in the book. Did I miss something?

As for commission prices, it's complicated, and I generally work out the details with the commissioner on a case-by-case basis. I made my Regnum map in exchange for a re-enactment grade kite shield handcrafted and painted to match the shield on my family's coat of arms (great birthday gift for my son). That was probably my favorite "price" I've been paid. For the Palladium Fantasy maps I've made, I've been paid around $70 each. That kind of payment is more of a "steer my hobby time this way" fee than a "Get this thing done to my exact specifications by the first of next month" fee, so the delivery time has varied from a couple of months to (in this case) 10 months (I've had many more professional and personal demands on my time this year, so my progress has been slower than usual).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Razorwing
Hero

The only evidence of exactly where it is with the map I mentioned... though the text does suggest you have it in a better place... much closer to Wisdom than it is on the map in the ET book. Unless Wisdom controls a much larger area of the Eastern Territories than reasonably can be assumed, having the Old City Ruins where the ET map put it doesn't seem feasible (it seems to be closer to Peningshir than to Wisdom).

Having it where you put it, much closer to Wisdom now makes their claim to the ruins more plausible. This is a case where going with just the text instead of the map (or trying to resolve the two) makes more sense. Having it also located on a portion of the river that flows north to south to allow for an eastern movement of said river (as the text says is happening) also makes more sense than where the ET map has it.

It is inconsistencies like this that makes me think that Palladium Books really needs to invest more in editing... but even with them, the quality is still higher than most other companies that try for quantity (something Palladium Books has tried to avoid... quality books rather than quantity of books on the market). One of the reasons I keep coming back to them for new games.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Wow, there it is, staring me in the face. I can't believe I missed that on the source map. Well, that's a pretty easy fix. I'll move Raf-Chalon west a bit and put Old City Ruins in between them. That should solve the space issue. Distance-wise, I don't see a major issue with Wisdom claiming it; they are the strongest city in that region and they would probably be extra interested in the place thanks to all the nerds living there. I'll have it closer to Wisdom than it is in the ET map, but upstream.

I've also got to add in Luna Beach and Myrth. Luna Beach will get a Peningshir icon and Myrth will get an unaligned town icon.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Razorwing
Hero

I agree that it should be closer to Wisdom than it is presented in the ET book... from the looks of things (going by the scale of the ET map) it is some 250 miles west of Wisdom (which claims the rights to it)... and 150 miles north of Peningshir (don't have a ruler to be sure of the distances, but my estimates should be close).

I never intended to suggest you didn't have it in a good place... merely that it wasn't where the map in the book suggested. That the map and text are in a little conflict also doesn't help things. To be honest... anywhere along the river closer to Wisdom (north or south of it) would likely make sense since the text doesn't specify exactly where it is.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

The map looks amazing- your work keeps improving!
Are you joining us at the Open House again next year?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Hotrod wrote:Wow, there it is, staring me in the face. I can't believe I missed that on the source map. Well, that's a pretty easy fix. I'll move Raf-Chalon west a bit and put Old City Ruins in between them. That should solve the space issue. Distance-wise, I don't see a major issue with Wisdom claiming it; they are the strongest city in that region and they would probably be extra interested in the place thanks to all the nerds living there. I'll have it closer to Wisdom than it is in the ET map, but upstream.

I've also got to add in Luna Beach and Myrth. Luna Beach will get a Peningshir icon and Myrth will get an unaligned town icon.

No, do it East of the runes. Wisdom only claims a 100 mile radius. And they can still have a salvage claim to the city, that is quite easily enough to do! if it goes west anymore it will be in Timiro.

However, YOU NEED TO move Peningshir, east. Otherwise you will have over lap with Timiro's Fort Isib.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

zyanitevp wrote:The map looks amazing- your work keeps improving!
Are you joining us at the Open House again next year?

That depends on a lot of factors. I'm writing a dissertation that will need defending sometime in the next 4-5 months; if I'm defending the following week, then I probably won't go. I just changed National Guard Units, so if that month's drill overlaps, then I won't be able to go. I may have a new full-time job then, and if that job requires me to work that weekend, then I won't be able to go. Finally, my wife and I are expecting our fifth kid sometime in early January, and if that kid is colicky (which has happened to us before), it may be a bit too much to ask her to take care of them all for a full weekend for the sake of my hobby.

I've mentioned it to the wife, but at this point, there's just too much up in the air for me to commit. If I can go without compromising my other commitments, I will.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I've been struggling to come up with a wraparound thematic text for the Eastern Territory for the last few days; it's hard to capture the themes of a region as splintered and diverse as this one. Anyway, here's what I have for the wraparound script:

Humanity flourishes in the Eastern Territory. Amid the hundreds of villages, scores of towns, and a dozen petty kingdoms that dot this vast land, pioneers settle the wilderness, merchants ply the rivers and roads, priests convert heathens, and scholars ponder the mysteries of long-forgotten ruins. The opportunity of this land is rivaled only by the ambition of its would-be rulers. The Dominion of Man's loose alliance keeps a fragile peace between its members, but their expansion north is met with the ascendant Wolfen Empire as it presses south into the Disputed Lands. Amid the gathering storm, warriors flock to the region, eager to spill blood for coin, gods, and race. Time will tell whether the city-states of the Dominion will rule the east or become fresh ruins among many others.

As always, suggestions are welcome; I'm not particularly fond of this thematic summary.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Razorwing
Hero

Hotrod wrote:I've been struggling to come up with a wraparound thematic text for the Eastern Territory for the last few days; it's hard to capture the themes of a region as splintered and diverse as this one. Anyway, here's what I have for the wraparound script:

Humanity flourishes in the Eastern Territory. Amid the hundreds of villages, scores of towns, and a dozen petty kingdoms that dot this vast land, pioneers settle the wilderness, merchants ply the rivers and roads, priests convert heathens, and scholars ponder the mysteries of long-forgotten ruins. The opportunity of this land is rivaled only by the ambition of its would-be rulers. The Dominion of Man's loose alliance keeps a fragile peace between its members, but their expansion north is met with the ascendant Wolfen Empire as it presses south into the Disputed Lands. Amid the gathering storm, warriors flock to the region, eager to spill blood for coin, gods, and race. Time will tell whether the city-states of the Dominion will rule the east or become fresh ruins among many others.

As always, suggestions are welcome; I'm not particularly fond of this thematic summary.

Why not go with the summation blurb on the back of the ET book... the bit describing the nature of the book (not the points describing the contents)? May not be quite enough to go around the map, but a larger font and spacing could fix that (not sure how big of a border you are going for), yes? At the very least, it can help you set the tone for what the Eastern Territories should be like.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Razorwing wrote:Why not go with the summation blurb on the back of the ET book... the bit describing the nature of the book (not the points describing the contents)? May not be quite enough to go around the map, but a larger font and spacing could fix that (not sure how big of a border you are going for), yes? At the very least, it can help you set the tone for what the Eastern Territories should be like.

That's a good idea, and as I read it, it seem thematically consistent with what I've written. On the downside, it's a bit too short to fit in the space I've made, so I tweaked the wraparound script today with the following result:

The Revised Wraparound Text wrote:Humanity flourishes in the Eastern Territory, building hundreds of villages, scores of towns, and a dozen petty kingdoms among and atop the ruins of failed nations that dot this vast land. Pioneers settle the wilderness, traders journey by river and road, priests convert heathens, and scholars ponder the mysteries of ancient ruins. The opportunity of this land is rivaled only by the ambition of its would-be rulers. The Dominion of Man's loose alliance keeps the peace between its members, but their expansion north is met with the ascendant Wolfen Empire as it presses south into the Disputed Lands. In the gathering storm, warriors flock to the region, eager to spill blood for coin, gods, and race. The coming struggles will decide whether the proud cities of the Dominion will rule the east or join the ruins of their own foundations.

The big change with this revision was to tie the first and last sentences together thematically so that, just as the reader comes around it full circle, they come back to the idea building upon the ruins of the past. I'm no Shakespeare, but this works well enough for me.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mini-update: the framed map is nearly done. I had to do a total redesign of the legend area because, thanks to all the different heraldry on the Dominion icons, I ran out of space. In the new version, I'm only giving a couple of examples of Dominion icons and providing a little text to explain them.

By explaining the system, rather than specifically identifying every variation, the legend gets a lot less cluttered, and I can blow up a few select representative icons to show their detail.

Anyway, it's close to done now (minus the revisions). I would have finished the framed version sometime in the last week, but real life struck, and my wife gave birth last night, a couple weeks little earlier than we planned, so I've been a little busy (the baby boy and the wife are fine, and we're going home tomorrow).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Awesome work and congratulations.
Razorwing
Hero

Hotrod wrote:
The Revised Wraparound Text wrote:Humanity flourishes in the Eastern Territory, building hundreds of villages, scores of towns, and a dozen petty kingdoms among and atop the ruins of failed nations that dot this vast land. Pioneers settle the wilderness, traders journey by river and road, priests convert heathens, and scholars ponder the mysteries of ancient ruins. The opportunity of this land is rivaled only by the ambition of its would-be rulers. The Dominion of Man's loose alliance keeps the peace between its members, but their expansion north is met with the ascendant Wolfen Empire as it presses south into the Disputed Lands. In the gathering storm, warriors flock to the region, eager to spill blood for coin, gods, and race. The coming struggles will decide whether the proud cities of the Dominion will rule the east or join the ruins of their own foundations.

The big change with this revision was to tie the first and last sentences together thematically so that, just as the reader comes around it full circle, they come back to the idea building upon the ruins of the past. I'm no Shakespeare, but this works well enough for me.

I like it... gives a sense of adventure and foreboading that hits at great possibilities and tragedies to come... on both sides of the coming conflict.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Congratulations!

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thanks for the kind words. Whilst the little guy slept on my chest for a few hours today, I finished the framed version of the map. Here it is.

Changes to the previous version:
+The map has a frame and new dimensions scaled to print on 11x17 inch stock rather than the standard 8.5x11 of the normal map.
+The frame includes the thematic text I mentioned earlier and a guide to the map markers.
+I tweaked several of the non-Dominion map markers. They're now color-coded to indicate their allegiance: yellow for independent, red for criminal, purple for Timiro, the standard paw print for the Wolfen, and green for a few settlements that didn't quite seem worthy of a Dominion marker, but seemed to have some alignment with it. I also changed the town and fort icons to have a color piece in the middle to make their allegiances clear as well. The only settlement icon that doesn't go by this system is Glade, as I opted to use a "magic site" icon instead.

Still to do:
-Revisions to the bare geography map.
-Revisions to the political map
-I may tweak the colors or change the wood texture in the frame. I'm going for a region-specific yellow wood, and I'm not sure if the result is as aesthetically pleasing and easy to use as it could be.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Damn, there goes another hundred bucks ;)

Looks great.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The map looks amazing Hotrod.
It really drives home just how uninhabited the Eastern Territory actually is.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:Damn, there goes another hundred bucks ;)

Looks great.

Is that how much your prints cost? How do you get them done?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
kiralon wrote:Damn, there goes another hundred bucks ;)

Looks great.

Is that how much your prints cost? How do you get them done?

That's how much it costs for the A0 print on the special mapping paper in full colour.

I take them to a local printing shop. I might try a full gloss one as well this time now that the roleplaying room is ready enough.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”