Male ogre breeding slavers and female human PCs

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Male ogre breeding slavers and female human PCs

Unread post by Axelmania »

Has anyone ever dealt with these interactions in a campaign? They seem difficult to deal with. They would want to take live captives but the combat system isn't big on grappling so not many options exist.

I figure for the most part they would use nets or bolas. If they were very low tech and lacked weapons the option exists to beat captives into a coma (unless you have a boxer, 11th expert, 13th martial artist or 7th assassin who can do pulled punches until a knockout) if you had a magic or psychic healer who could bring them back once at the lair. Easiest would be if your low level guys entangled while experienced guy with automatic knockout from behind (level 13 basic or expert) did this.

In the case of the entangle maneuver if you were much stronger would it make sense to allow a drag/carry followup?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Male ogre breeding slavers and female human PCs

Unread post by kiralon »

Check the bounty hunter/enforcer occ from yin sloth jungles book.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Average Ogre PS without any skill bonuses: 18
Average human female PS without any bonuses: 9
Not to hard for them to just throw a woman under their arm and carry her away. Of course, the threat of death, or a couple demonstrated deaths, would likely convince the rest to just go along quietly.
Axelmania
Knight

Ogres have low MA so probably no 'intimidate' roll, but the HF10 can substitute nicely. Although the more thorough HF system in other games, not sure if it made its way to PF.

Average on 3d6 is 10.5, where's 9 come from? It sounds reasonable but I'd love something to cite and Palladium usually avoided that gender issue.

Found the Slaver on page 31 of WB7, dat PS15 req seems highly suited to Ogres. Seems designed for Palladium RPG, anyone know what changes would be needed to play them in PF2?

The HTH is cool even though needing to wait til 13th for a body flip kinda stinks. I'd mostly be using sweep kick from 7th.

Problem is no access to Wrestling or Entangle here... wait... *sees "Stalk and Capture" on page 40* NICE

Since this was 1st edition, I guess Ogres could have started out as Nomadic Tribesmen prior to changing OCCs to Slaver and then they could have stacked page 30's Hand to Hand: Nomadic Tribesman on top of Hand to Hand: Slaver/Enforcer Bounty Hunter since it gave lower level access to judo flips.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Might not even been nomadic tribesman, could have been caught when young themselves and then trained as a slaver.
If you search these boards you will find a couple conversions already im pretty sure.
But they work out fairly well just doing them straight as they are in the book and then giving them extra attacks per round and sdc, I give them the same sdc that merc fighters get, also give em boxing for the ko chance.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Axelmania wrote:Average on 3d6 is 10.5, where's 9 come from? It sounds reasonable but I'd love something to cite and Palladium usually avoided that gender issue.

Sorry, I meant to type 10 for that.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think Whiskeyjack has it right. This is probably something that doesn't need to follow the rules. The prospective captives are probably worried about physical harm and pain. Players don't feel the pain of their characters so that's often forgotten. It's a huge motivator, as is the threat of pain or physical harm. There will probably be a lot of surrender involved. If someone is determined to fight to the death, there isn't a lot that can be done to deter them without a chemical or device to stun them.

-Vek
"Only use the rules when you absolutely must."
RavenStarver
Explorer

Unread post by RavenStarver »

Going off what people have already said, your average peasant is not going to be trying to fight back against an Ogre.
The average Ogre will not only have an 18 or so strength, they'll also have about 30 SDC whereas a peasant only has about 3 (non Men-At-Arms classes only getting 1d6). So the Ogre has about 45-50 total health, combining SDC and HP, and the Peasant only has 13 total on average. Then the Ogre has claws that deal short sword level damage (2d4+PS) and can Kick for great sword level damage (3d6+PS), so the Ogre could easily kill your average peasant with literally nothing but his bare hands.
I really can't imagine a peasant trying to fight an Ogre unless they have a significant numbers advantage. Even an average Orc would easily overpower a peasant.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Assuming they are not using lassos, nets, or the like.

Ogre makes a grab attack, rolling d20+strike bonuses.

Target tries to dodge or parry, rolling d20+appropriate bonuses.

If the ogre succeeds, the target is grabbed. Each round, the target can try to escape, or try to convince the ogre to release them by causing them pain (punching, stabbing, etc.)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

If a frail human were slung over the shoulder I'd wonder if that would prevent the punch or kick maneuver. No target actually exists in front of the shoulders and hips.

There's also the possibility of, when bringing the arm around the torso to stabilize them when slung over the shoulder, that the big ogre arms could hold the 2 human arms in place. Not sure how to do that mechanically though. Hold maneuvers in N&SS are traditionally 2-armed things but that assumes same-size opponents. Giants should be able to do it 1-armed just like they could hold a 2-handed human size weapon 1-handed.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Have the Ogre slavers use holds pg45 of the second addition. They deal no damage and have the ogres work in groups of two to three when taking the captives. City of kaash pg 142 of the eastern territories see the leather shop for some items for your ogre slavers.
Panomas II
Explorer

Unread post by Panomas II »

Axelmania wrote:If a frail human were slung over the shoulder I'd wonder if that would prevent the punch or kick maneuver. No target actually exists in front of the shoulders and hips.

There's also the possibility of, when bringing the arm around the torso to stabilize them when slung over the shoulder, that the big ogre arms could hold the 2 human arms in place. Not sure how to do that mechanically though. Hold maneuvers in N&SS are traditionally 2-armed things but that assumes same-size opponents. Giants should be able to do it 1-armed just like they could hold a 2-handed human size weapon 1-handed.

Biting, gouging and thrashing...

Or...

One time we're at a park with a church group. Someone's daughter (not mine) who was seven at the time got obsessed with a ride, but it was time to go. She has already ridden it five times. This was her first time a major park. We we're all having a great time. Despite being three times her size, when her mother picked her up to take her away, that didn't go so well. She threw a fit. Despite being five times her size, when the father got a hold of her it was a similar result.

The situation you describe isn't really in the rules. Mark had a decent suggestion.
Axelmania
Knight

Biting would be interesting if the data for human bites was easily found.

I guess it would be easier to carry someone off if you knocked the wind out of them first, like in the opening scene of the Double Dragon arcade game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQ-Nbinx78&t=12

I don't know if any dice RPGs have any decent rules for covering this though. Heck not even GURPS with all its hit locations has anything special for abdominal hits knocking the wind out of you :(
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Rolemaster probably does however.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Axelmania wrote:Biting would be interesting if the data for human bites was easily found.

I guess it would be easier to carry someone off if you knocked the wind out of them first, like in the opening scene of the Double Dragon arcade game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQ-Nbinx78&t=12

I don't know if any dice RPGs have any decent rules for covering this though. Heck not even GURPS with all its hit locations has anything special for abdominal hits knocking the wind out of you :(

I'd say d6 has some decent rules on that... if you do only slightly more damage than someone is able to resist, then they are "Stunned", taking a 1D penalty to their actions until the next round. Savage Worlds also has "Shaken", where you can't pass a Spirit test to overcome it and still act, or take a round to overcome it. Hackmaster has the "Threshold of Pain" and trauma saves... if you take more than x% of your maximum HP in a single blow (monsters are 40%), then you have to make a save v. half your Constitution or be rendered incapable of action for 5 seconds per point you failed by... if you Trauma Save is 5 (for a 10 Con), and you roll a 7, you're down for 10 seconds... enough time for the average person to Coup de Grace you. Roll a natural 20? You're down for several minutes.

They're not specific to abdominal hits, of course.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Panomas II
Explorer

Unread post by Panomas II »

Also, and speaking from experience... When someone bites down on you. It's really a matter of... "Do I want to loose that part of flesh?" Which really isn't in the rules but trust me, can certainly cause the grabber to let go of the person...
Axelmania
Knight

I dunno. That assumes.the biter will let go. When I am teasing my cat and she bites me the first thing I do is solidify my grapple so I can prevent her from pulling her head back rip along the flesh she has bit into..the problem with bites isn't just the crushing/piercing aspect of the jaw and teeth but also how now the skull is anchored and the powerful spinal muscles can pull horizontally to cause further damage.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

You're all discounting the psychological aspect here. The ogres grab several humans to bring back as slaves. Ones resists, they disembowel her. The others are going to think twice about trying to fight.
Axelmania
Knight

That exists, sure, but the option of doing a non-coma-inducing gut-punch which knocks the wind out of someone should probably still exist.

I think N&S had 'save vs pain' rules where if you failed you fell unconcious, maybe they could be more broadly applied to all attacks?

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”