Inaccessible fort meets breakable object..

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Inaccessible fort meets breakable object..

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I've just crushed an orc, kobolds, and goblin army that had taken over an volcanic island and quickly constructed a fort/keep in a very inaccessible place. Cliff walls on all sides, a well guarded cavern entrance below...By asking if there was any large chunks of obsidian around and essentially teleporting about a 5,000lb chunk of obsidian from about 4 miles in the air over the keep. I had done out of body travel, and seen essentially the arrowhead leaf vines growing on this walls and thinking, well done Richard. By the way, this was player vs player.

Logically, it was the only way I saw to do it...the keep was quite difficult to access. I knew the cave entrance would be heavily guarded.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Re: Inaccessible fort meets breakable object..

Unread post by Lukterran »

Everything about this post seems random as hell without context.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Luk, meet crow. These are not uncommon posts from Crow.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

pblackcrow wrote:I've just crushed an orc, kobolds, and goblin army that had taken over an volcanic island and quickly constructed a fort/keep in a very inaccessible place. Cliff walls on all sides, a well guarded cavern entrance below...By asking if there was any large chunks of obsidian around and essentially teleporting about a 5,000lb chunk of obsidian from about 4 miles in the air over the keep. I had done out of body travel, and seen essentially the arrowhead leaf vines growing on this walls and thinking, well done Richard. By the way, this was player vs player.

Logically, it was the only way I saw to do it...the keep was quite difficult to access. I knew the cave entrance would be heavily guarded.

The engineer inside me is skeptical of this approach. My issues with it:
1. You'd miss. Ever try long-range target shooting? How about shooting without any sights to go on? You're talking about trying to hit a target 4 miles away with a chunk of rock. Unguided munitions, even with a Norton Bomb Sight, tend to have a lot of uncertainty as to where exactly they hit the ground (hence the carpet bombing approaches of WW2), and those are munitions that are designed to fly predictable paths, without tumbling. You're describing a giant chunk of rock, which doesn't sound aerodynamic to me.
2. The effects would be minimal. Human beings have been dropping heavy objects from several miles in the air for some time now. The ones that don't explode tend to make relatively small holes in the ground and smash their way through a few meters of ground before coming to a halt or porpoising back up and out of the ground (which tends to happen from time to time with aerodynamic designs). Objects that are in the path of a 5,000 lb rock are going to be smashed, but 5,000 lbs isn't a very big projectile when you're talking about using it as a 1-shot weapon against a army or a fortress. Obsidian has a density of about 2.6 grams per cubic centimeter, which means that your 5,000 lb rock is going to be a little under 1 cubic meter. That's not going to wipe out an army. If you're lucky, it might kill or wound a half dozen people. Granted, some shattering and fragmentation from the impact could injure or kill nearby people, but the one-large-chunk approach you've taken will likely drive most of the mass into the mountain or fort.

Here's a little article on the concrete bomb, explaining how it's useless without a modern guidance system.
Here's an article on the Lazy Dog bomb, a more practical anti-personnel approach in which a great many small aerodynamic slugs are dumped at altitude by dispenser/bucket/whatever, which then fall down as literal steel rain on troops below. Anyone in their path who doesn't have a couple feet of sandbags or the equivalent overhead is likely to be killed. It was used in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. The idea was originally used in WW1.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Mark Hall wrote:Luk, meet crow. These are not uncommon posts from Crow.

That's true.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

:lol: knowing Shannon (PBC) like I do, you sneaky little **** (said with the utmost respect)...you probably used more then 1 and probably put a seal of wards around them to go off when it shattered.

one thing about Shannon, practically never us gives the full details in the first post. he likes to keep people guessing. it is a just a game with him sometimes. I have learned how to read between the lines. he's really a genius. and that's no lie.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”