Gnome Summoner not possible in 2nd Edition

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lukterran
Adventurer

Gnome Summoner not possible in 2nd Edition

Unread post by Lukterran »

I was converting an very old character from 1st edition to 2nd edition which was a gnome summoner. However, I just realized that the changes in the stats from 1st to 2nd made it impossible for gnomes to become Summoners. They used to have a 2D6 roll for ME which meant you could get an 12 and roll an additional die to make the minimum attribute requirement to be a summoner which is 14. Now it is 1D6+6 which makes the bonus roll impossible.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Gnome Summoner not possible in 2nd Edition

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yep. I tend to house-rule the possibility.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Don't forget to house rule that at first level you can actually summon something. Make
no sense to be called a summoner if at first level the only thing you can use is
protection circles?
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Reagren Wright wrote:Don't forget to house rule that at first level you can actually summon something. Make
no sense to be called a summoner if at first level the only thing you can use is
protection circles?

I was always ok with it. You start off sucking badly but you get way better in later levels. 1st level goes really fast. So you just use your protection circles or summon something that you don't need to control (just a little convincing to join you is all that is needed).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Since you are converting an existing character I would just bump the ME up to the Summoner minimum by fiat. And then make sure the GM knows this situation with the char. As a GM 'I' would allow it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Reagren Wright wrote:Don't forget to house rule that at first level you can actually summon something. Make
protection circles?

You can ALWAYS summon something. However, at 1st level, you can't control it, which can make it problematic. ;-)

That said, I believe MOM had my spellbook rules, which let you use prepared magics (including summoning circles) at 1 level higher.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

Lukterran wrote:I was converting an very old character from 1st edition to 2nd edition which was a gnome summoner. However, I just realized that the changes in the stats from 1st to 2nd made it impossible for gnomes to become Summoners. They used to have a 2D6 roll for ME which meant you could get an 12 and roll an additional die to make the minimum attribute requirement to be a summoner which is 14. Now it is 1D6+6 which makes the bonus roll impossible.

To me that change makes a lot of sense. It raises the average ME of the Gnomes without having about 0.5% of Gnomes with ME 18.
Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
While you were all arguing over the glass of water, I just drank it.

Sincerely,
an opportunist.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

There are multiple species of Gnome, the ones from the slow-combat SDCless world of the Palladium RPG full of daily-cast magic have greater potential for mental fortitude than the fast combat SDC-loaded world of the Palladium Fantasy RPG 2nd Edition full of PPE magic.

protection circles?

You can always summon things at first level, you just can't automatically control them via a battle of wills. You need to find other means of influencing them, such as making contracts, or having enemies in the immediate area who are a more likely target.

Sad the lack of psionics means no Gnome Psi-Healers, but you can always choose the Healer OCC from the Palladium RPG since it doesn't require psionics. I would figure that's a good choice for a Gnome trying to be a good person and help others. Also good for healing yourself if you do a lot of blood-sealed summoning circles or wards.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”