Dwarven and Elven styles?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

Dwarven and Elven styles?

Unread post by RavenStarver »

Kind of a silly question really, but has it been mentioned anywhere what the styles of these ancient empires where?
Are Elven ruins these grandiose, soaring, gothic style structures?
Where the Dwarves super blocky and geometric in their designs?
Also what level of magi tech did they have? It's mentioned the Elves had flying ships, did the Dwarves? They seem to have managed magic nukes.
Just looking for opinions or canon sources if they exist.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Dwarven and Elven styles?

Unread post by kiralon »

RavenStarver wrote:Kind of a silly question really, but has it been mentioned anywhere what the styles of these ancient empires where?
Also what level of magi tech did they have? It's mentioned the Elves had flying ships, did the Dwarves? They seem to have managed magic nukes.

no, yes, sorta, pre-industrial, no, yes, dirty little buggers

Just google the architecture types and that's how I imagine in with the elves liking wide open space and lots of greenery and living things where dwarves coaxed beauty from the rock.
oh and the other main difference is dwarves make their chambers just big enough for a balrog to wander around without trouble
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

when in doubt, turn to Tolkien? or at least the movie versions, which have great visual elements for each.
https://middleeartharchitectures.wordpress.com/

elves as a kind of Art-Nouveau with lot of organic themes, looking much thinner and spindlier than should actually support buildings of that type and size.
Dwarves being one for the gothic styles.. with lots of solid, angular aesthetics instead of curves.

and IIRC.. Dwarves are the ones implied to have been the ones with the biggest experience in Rune magic.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like to think of dwarves as less "gothic" and more "art deco". Elves as art nouveau works.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Just go with look and feel of Tolkien. Everything in PF is ripped from something else anyways. Old Ones = H.P Lovecraft. Elves/Dwarf and most fantasy themes = Tolkien. Gods and monsters = Ancient Mythology.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I use Japanese styling for elves, for dwarves i prefer Roman styling. That's just me though.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RavenStarver wrote:Kind of a silly question really, but has it been mentioned anywhere what the styles of these ancient empires where?

No.
Elf city ruins are above the ground and dwarf city ruins are tunnels

At least all the canon dwarf city ruins are tunnel cities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

Lukterran wrote:Just go with look and feel of Tolkien. Everything in PF is ripped from something else anyways. Old Ones = H.P Lovecraft. Elves/Dwarf and most fantasy themes = Tolkien. Gods and monsters = Ancient Mythology.

I disagree. No hobbits in Palladium. No wolfen in Middle Earth. The Palladium "feel" is different, otherwise just play the various Middle Earth RPGs.

Yes, most RPGs written when PFRPG was published and "ripped" or were inspired from fiction. Read Lovecraft and your Old Ones will become more terrifying. Read Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books and your players may not even know they are walking past an elven fortress because it blends into the land. Dwarves the same beneath the surface. Add a bit of law or chaos "alien" into your design and make your game your own.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

mirithol wrote:I disagree. No hobbits in Palladium. No wolfen in Middle Earth. The Palladium "feel" is different, otherwise just play the various Middle Earth RPGs.

You are correct Wolfens are complete new. However, heavily inspired by the Roman Empire.

And thank God there are no Hobbits/Halflings in Palladium Fantasy.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I do not think it is a silly set of questions at all. Quite the contrary.

I agree with a lot that has been said above. There is not really a canon answer yet (and aren't we all waiting for the Old Kingdom).

As I see it:
    - Dwarves built mainly underground, elves built mainly above ground.
    - Dwarves use mainly stone, earth, and metal. I can see them using imposing underground structures, less natural caverns. Dwarven architecture will show that they are builders, masons, and smiths (not to forget, they are also rune mages).
    - Elves use lighter, apparently flimsy structure, using living material, wood, and glass. I can see them building a glass tower or bridge. I can see them live in tree houses. Some elves will have liked to blend into the surroundings, others may have been haughty and show offish. Elven architecture will show that they are artisans and naturalists (not to forget they are also proud warriors). I see them using bronze and noble metals like gold and silver, but not steel or much iron but for where they must.
    - I can see gnome art (jewels, carvings and other such fine work) in both places.
    - Palladium fantasy reflects many influences from fantasy literature but I do not see it as a rip-off or hodgepodge. That said, I think one may default to Tolkien for a pleasant architecture set.
    - I do not see elves using art noveau or anyone using art deco, but that is a matter of taste.

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Like others have said, I don't think much has been said within canon. I can't say I've ever really given the architecture much thought in my games either. But, for my opinion (most of which I'm making up off the top of my head, based and expanded upon from my other pre-existing notions of Elves and Dwarves) ...

-----

Elves
First, I've never been a fan of the elves are all tree-loving hippies. So I won't be going with trees and nature, etc.

Some of it I can see being kind of Japanese-esque. I view them as liking curved edges, so possibly a roof like this: http://pictures.4ever.eu/buildings/japa ... use-164990 I'm also fond of the concept of them using things such as paper doors.

Designs will be carved into the actual buildings. An interesting shape, an ornate carving into the frame, etc. Items such as gold, silver, and jewelry don't have much meaning. These can be bought. The beauty comes from the skill taken to craft it and the history that lies within. So older buildings will often have the most meaning because they have the most history.

While there are wide main roads, many passageways will be narrow with buildings close together forming a close/intimate type of feel. The narrow passages are only big enough for a single person to walk. This includes narrow bridges over rivers and other hazards. Elves believe in grace/balance and patience, which these help reflect. They also serves as a basic defensive measure.

Dwarves
Subterranean, as many have already noted.
Though thought of as a city built underground, their buildings are actually built within and from the earth itself (so effectively one piece with the ground, not something built on it). In this way, a Dwarven city can be viewed as just one giant and flowing structure (instead of several buildings in one city, each building is literally a part of the city). As such, each Dwarf is part of a larger whole, no matter how far apart.

Their caverns are far larger than needed. Very roomy and very showy. Giants can easily enter and walk their streets. If the Dwarves ever run out of room they can just carve out more space. Because these cities are carved from the earth, cities often have more levels than they are long/wide like surface cities. They can simply expand down, instead of just out. Each level may be different sized, as long as it fits the needs for that level and retains general structural integrity.

Buildings are utilitarian for the most part. Thick and sturdy, designed to last and function instead of look pretty. Standard buildings are tall enough for a human and maybe an Elf to stand with little headroom, but not large enough for a giant (though there are exceptions). Large entry ways (such as into the city, to another level, or even to key buildings) are typically lined with sculpted figures along the entry ways themselves, once again, carved from the very earth as if one piece. They do enjoy decorating things with gems and rare metals, especially their most important buildings and sculptures. Key buildings tend to be built larger (able to fit even giants with ease) and designed to carry acoustics naturally.

-----

Anyways, just some ideas quickly off the top of my head. Hope they help. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”