Combat System

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lukterran
Adventurer

Combat System

Unread post by Lukterran »

I'm working on an improved combat system for PF. To try and correct two issues I have with the current system.

- That players and NPC with more attacks per melee than other opponents or alleys have during combat. The situation always leaves the character with a excess number of attacks to complete while everyone else is a setting target twiddling their thumbs.

- Also the uneven time to attack/actions ratio between players and NPCs.

My solution is feeling overly complex and I'm trying to simplify as much as possible.

COMBAT
Combat Round: is the time two or more combatants strike, counter, and return strike; approximately one (1) minute.
Melee / Melee Round: There are four (4) melees in a Combat Round; approximately fifteen (15) seconds. Each of the four (4) melees are tracked by the GM separately in regard to number of actions that can be taken.
Action/Attack: the number of actions a character has within a fifteen (15) seconds melee time segment. All beings start with two (2) actions or attacks per melee round. The maximum number of actions that can be taken within a melee round is five (5). A melee is divided into five (5) “Actions” or action sequences. An action may take more than one action sequence to complete. Each action sequence takes approximately three (3) seconds.

Combat Round
Approximately one (1) minute or sixty (60) seconds

Melees / Melee Round
1st Melee (15 sec)
Actions
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th
2nd Melee (15 sec)
Actions
3rd Melee (15 sec)
Actions
4th Melee (15 sec)
Actions

Example: A Commoner without Hand-to-Hand Combat Training, which only has two (2) Actions per melee would have those actions spread across the melee 15 second time frame. Or about 7.5 seconds per actions or attack. While a highly trained Fighter who has four (4) actions per that melee it would only take 3.75 seconds for each action.

Lastly, in regard to melee rounds some additional actions or attacks that are gained from skill, magic or combat training are distributed within one of the four (4) melees rounds they fall within. When given an additional attack or action that action will be taken in the 1st Melee Round. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Melee Rounds would have no additional actions. If the character had two (2) additional actions those actions would be taken in the 1st and 2nd Melee Rounds; so on and so forth. Once the player has five (5) additional Actions they would have three (3) Action per melee (four (4) actions distributed across each melee in the Combat Round), be able to take the fourth (4) Action on the 1st Melee.

Optionally, the player can choose when to use that additional action in any melee round the player wishes. The only restriction is that there may never be more than one (1) “Floating Action” taken in a single melee.

Example: If the player had five (5) additional actions and he/she wants to use three (3) actions the 1st Melee round he/she could use a last “floating” (making it the 4th) action in any melee round of their choosing; but all other actions have to be distributed to the "3rd Action" first.

They player could not use three (3) additional actions in the 1st Melee Round to have five (5) actions and leaving only two additional actions for the rest of the Combat Round.

It fixes my problems but it really seems confusing and overly complex. I don't want to nerf attacks per melee and have everyone be the same. But I also don't want to have this uneven ratio in combat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Combat System

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I suggest the following if you want to smash Palladium's system and make it more sensible, which oddly enough, you came close to doing.

1 round is 3 seconds. Everyone gets 1 action. During that round everyone can attempt to parry or dodge 1 time without detriment. (this includes defending against spells that require a dodge as a saving throw, so if you already defended, and someone uses Magic Net...you are totally boned, this is intentional)

Everyone, on their action, can move their SPD in feet for free and with no action penalty. You may move up to your SPDx3 instead, but take a -3 to all combat actions (attacking, parrying, but not dodging), and a -15% to all skills. To cast a spell successfully while sprinting (up to your SPDx3) requires a ME based Save of 14. If you fail, you couldn't concentrate or wiggle your fingers properly and you waste the PPE, the spell fails. Psionics work the same, but their save is only a 12.

Aiming takes your whole action (and on a 20+ on your attack roll, adds +2d6 damage). However, if you attempt a Power Punch, or a called shot, essentially any action that would normally take your full round or cost 2 attacks, you may still act normally, but as if you were running (see penalties above). This includes the Palladin's deathblow, Stun attacks from hand to hand, but doesn't include spells that require more than one action to cast.

If you have automatic actions (auto-dodge, auto-parry) you gain one additional parry or dodge, respectively, each round. (so most combatants use their parry vs their opponent, save their dodge to avoid something nasty coming at them from another angle)

Quick Paired weapons stuff: it works essentially the same, but don't lose your auto parry for dual attacking. If your other weapon is a shield, gain a free block with it if you don't use it to attack. I also usually grant a +3 parry bonus if you use both weapons to parry one attack.

Reroll initiative every 5 rounds.

That's the simplest way, i think.

I say all that because in order to get the system running faster and smoother, you have to change quite a bit. Though if you just ignore Attacks per Melee, you have to make some concessions because of the way the game depends on them, but I think I've sorted out most of it.

It's really tough to try and keep all the mechanics but try and change the frame of their operation, because it confuses people.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Lukterran
Adventurer

Alrik Vas wrote:I suggest the following if you want to smash Palladium's system and make it more sensible, which oddly enough, you came close to doing.

I basically just wanted to regroup the combat round as 1 minute of time which it used to be in 1st edition. Then spread the attacks across that full minute more evenly.

Combat Round Table
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I like the unbalanced Attack Ratio. I mean a Samurai with 10 Attacks should dominate the battle field.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I let my players know that they can go for max attacks, but the fighter types will be like you, so if they play a guy that has 10 attacks, that's what the general bad guys will have too, so if they get too out of whack they will be the ones trying to stop the overly tough fighter types, while the rest of the party runs because they have 1/3rd the attacks.
Having a lot more attacks in a round is overly boring for the other players, and its a game for everyone to enjoy.
Also in my games if you want to move and attack you can move you speed in feet in a round and still get all your attacks, if you move further you only get one attack.
I have also put in things that cost attacks per melee and reduce your number of attacks in a round to have them active.
Lukterran
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:I let my players know that they can go for max attacks, but the fighter types will be like you, so if they play a guy that has 10 attacks, that's what the general bad guys will have too, so if they get too out of whack they will be the ones trying to stop the overly tough fighter types, while the rest of the party runs because they have 1/3rd the attacks.
Having a lot more attacks in a round is overly boring for the other players, and its a game for everyone to enjoy.
Also in my games if you want to move and attack you can move you speed in feet in a round and still get all your attacks, if you move further you only get one attack.
I have also put in things that cost attacks per melee and reduce your number of attacks in a round to have them active.

That is the a good point and a goal I'm trying to get toward. To keep everyone that is playing fully engaged and having fun.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I use the Monsters and occs as written, just because a high level Knight has 8 Attacks, there's no reason for a mage to have 8 Attacks. That's just stupid. Or hey now all Goblins have 10 Attacks because the Knight does.
What??? Pick your occ and play your occ stop micromanaging this idea of all characters are equal, yada yada this isn't 5E or some lame game.

THIS IS PALLADIUM!! *kicks persian warlord into well, yes i have 9 attacks left.....*

Warning: Just because you disagree with a poster there's no reason to calm them or their ideas stupid.
Lukterran
Adventurer

say652 wrote:I use the Monsters and occs as written, just because a high level Knight has 8 Attacks, there's no reason for a mage to have 8 Attacks. That's just stupid. Or hey now all Goblins have 10 Attacks because the Knight does.
What??? Pick your occ and play your occ stop micromanaging this idea of all characters are equal, yada yada this isn't 5E or some lame game.

THIS IS PALLADIUM!! *kicks persian warlord into well, yes i have 9 attacks left.....*

I'm asking for advice on how to better streamline the combat system "roughly" within the rules. Without throwing out everything from PF all together.

The goal isn't to give more attacks to mages vs fighters. The goal is to spread those attacks out a little so all the action doesn't happen in the 1st two melee rounds. Also so ever combatant is frozen helpless in time while the fleet feet'd Jeridu assassin goes MVP whirling dervish on everyone. Leaving players on the sideline getting bored and distracted.

BTW - The Jeridu is just to prove the point. I don't have an issue with one race or class etc. The problem is the combat system.

This is the only way I have come up with that allows a Palladin to have 10 attacks vs someone else with only has for example 4 or so attacks and keep the advantage for the Paladin intact without it being ridiculous that everyone else is moving around like sloths.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Paladin beats him down in fair fight. Cheat. Poison him, get some ruffians to out number him.
Jeridus same thing.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

say652 wrote:I use the Monsters and occs as written, just because a high level Knight has 8 Attacks, there's no reason for a mage to have 8 Attacks. That's just stupid. Or hey now all Goblins have 10 Attacks because the Knight does.

Problem is after that people only ever play the paladin with 10 attacks because otherwise they are sidelined for %90 of a fight and lose focus on the game.

and yes the goblin will have 10 attacks, because he will have hth martial arts too, which is by the rules of palladium. Its what good for the goose is good for the gander, especially if the player characters take it over and over.
Lukterran
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:

Problem is after that people only ever play the paladin with 10 attacks because otherwise they are sidelined for %90 of a fight and lose focus on the game.

and yes the goblin will have 10 attacks, because he will have hth martial arts too, which is by the rules of palladium. Its what good for the goose is good for the gander, especially if the player characters take it over and over.

I've never been a fan of going to the 4 generic Hand-to-Hand types and allowing almost anyone to pick them. Since it was introduced with 2nd edition. Unique class specific HtH was better IMO.

That is why I have been working on revamping the whole Palladium Fantasy system to try and fix all the little problems players have had with it over the years. The hard part is keeping the changes to the new rules simple. I'm homebrew changing everything. Attributes, Skills, Classes, etc... I'm probably going to start up play testing in a month or so, with my group to work out the bugs.

Honestly a 3D6+ attribute system that allows accumulative bonuses (Attribute+WP+HtH+Weapon Quality+Magic+etc...) is kind of broken when everything is based on a d20; I've come to the conclusion after much number crunching. Its too easy to get beyond the 20 value and make any thresholds under it kind of useless. Like low A.R. etc... But I can't bring myself to use a D30 or any other craziness.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Lukterran wrote:
kiralon wrote:

I've never been a fan of going to the 4 generic Hand-to-Hand types and allowing almost anyone to pick them. Since it was introduced with 2nd edition. Unique class specific HtH was better IMO.

That is why I have been working on revamping the whole Palladium Fantasy system to try and fix all the little problems players have had with it over the years. The hard part is keeping the changes to the new rules simple. I'm homebrew changing everything. Attributes, Skills, Classes, etc... I'm probably going to start up play testing in a month or so, with my group to work out the bugs.

Honestly a 3D6+ attribute system that allows accumulative bonuses (Attribute+WP+HtH+Weapon Quality+Magic+etc...) is kind of broken when everything is based on a d20; I've come to the conclusion after much number crunching. Its too easy to get beyond the 20 value and make any thresholds under it kind of useless. Like low A.R. etc... But I can't bring myself to use a D30 or any other craziness.

I only made certain bonuses cumulative
I also added a roll to penetrate armour that you only get your wp bonus to strike to penetrate (and the odd magic bonus) so armour is useful again at higher levels.
and I use mostly first ed so everyone gets their own hth style, but use magic from first ed, second ed and 2nd ed dnd.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So because people get jealous and whine you change the whole combat system?
Sorry i don't do Participation Trophies.

Mages at higher levels are capable of killing a warrior instantly.

Mindmages even sooner.

The ridiculous saves vs Magic and Psionics make these stronger and far more dangerous than a guy who can swing a sword ten times a melee.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

say652 wrote:So because people get jealous and whine you change the whole combat system?

Mindmages even sooner.

The ridiculous saves vs Magic and Psionics make these stronger and far more dangerous than a guy who can swing a sword ten times a melee.

Most of the whining I had to deal with came from the munchkins whining that their level 1 assassin/mage/thief/priest god characters couldn't kill a dragon in one round with their bare hands. The problem im dealing with here is when the mage, having sat there for an hour and half having only done one thing is now looking at his phone, reading a book, playing another game on a pc, or just gets up and walks away from sheer boredom (and what can I say, sorry that's the way the game is, don't play a non fighter next time) because he knows in the next hour and a half he is only going to get one more action. Then in and 8 hr session he got to do 4 things so unsurprisingly he doesn't turn up for the next session to be bored for 8 hours. Its worse for priests. The priest says ill do turn dead - 2 rounds pass before he can try anything else, tries a prayer which uses 1d4 actions. Having played a Priest myself in a high level party 4 hrs could pass before one of my actions went off. It got boring, and I'd either have trouble staying awake or have trouble keeping track of what was going on, especially when the fighters could have 16 attacks in a round.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

kiralon wrote:
say652 wrote:So because people get jealous and whine you change the whole combat system?

Mindmages even sooner.

Most of the whining I had to deal with came from the munchkins whining that their level 1 assassin/mage/thief/priest god characters couldn't kill a dragon in one round with their bare hands. The problem im dealing with here is when the mage, having sat there for an hour and half having only done one thing is now looking at his phone, reading a book, playing another game on a pc, or just gets up and walks away from sheer boredom (and what can I say, sorry that's the way the game is, don't play a non fighter next time) because he knows in the next hour and a half he is only going to get one more action. Then in and 8 hr session he got to do 4 things so unsurprisingly he doesn't turn up for the next session to be bored for 8 hours. Its worse for priests. The priest says ill do turn dead - 2 rounds pass before he can try anything else, tries a prayer which uses 1d4 actions. Having played a Priest myself in a high level party 4 hrs could pass before one of my actions went off. It got boring, and I'd either have trouble staying awake or have trouble keeping track of what was going on, especially when the fighters could have 16 attacks in a round.

I run into the invincible munchkin problem quite a bit.

15 plus attacks a melee, Sharpshooting, blah, blah, blah.

In Rifts it's Fairly easy for six or seven guys with guns to take out these "problem" characters.

Cheat, use numbers, focus fire, simultaneously strike to whittle them down.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

say652 wrote:
kiralon wrote:

Mindmages even sooner.

I run into the invincible munchkin problem quite a bit.

15 plus attacks a melee, Sharpshooting, blah, blah, blah.

In Rifts it's Fairly easy for six or seven guys with guns to take out these "problem" characters.

Cheat, use numbers, focus fire, simultaneously strike to whittle them down.

Lol, you forgot the riding T'Rexs that are wearing glitterboy armour and wielding 8 runeswords.

The problem with that is it causes problems for the ones not min-maxing, that's why I explain what my response to it will be. I will then also say rpg is for exploring and learning and getting tougher through training and boons and time, and yes you can start with massive bonuses, but the people who start out average will always end up tougher than those who start with high stats.
Lukterran
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:

Mindmages even sooner.

That sums up the problem perfectly. :mrgreen: :angel:

Too many attacks in a melee in my opinion. Which means the vast majority of combat happens in that first round. If Palladium rules were in effect The Battle of Hastings would have taken all of 2 minutes to complete instead of from 9 am to dusk.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I don't see the real issue.

Don't allow Man at Arms occs in your Game is a better solution than Nerfing them (which makes zero sense to me) and allow the other More powerful occs (mages and psychics) the spotlight
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Lukterran wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I suggest the following if you want to smash Palladium's system and make it more sensible, which oddly enough, you came close to doing.

I basically just wanted to regroup the combat round as 1 minute of time which it used to be in 1st edition. Then spread the attacks across that full minute more evenly.

Combat Round Table

I have been playing with a divided number of actions over the course of a round. It's in a high level game, as a matter of fact. There are only 2 players and both of us are fighter types with about 15 actions.

We also have insane initiative bonuses. Sometimes, we get 7 or so actions before anyone else does even a single thing because the actions are spaced out to happen gradually over the course of a round. It makes a bit of sense, as people are are really fast can get a lot done before others can attempt to react...but the disparity is ludicrous.

It's best if everyone goes one action, in order, changing init here and there. It's why i developed the system that ignores APM, it runs much smoother. If you want fighter types to have a special niche because they usually have so many more actions, let them make 2 attacks on their action if their normal APM would be above 8, let them make 3 if it would normally be above 12. Let them sacrifice those actions to do things that cost multiple APM in a single action for no penalty. Done, it cleans up the round, moves it forward faster and everyone gets an action every turn.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, for starters, we used the 1st edition combat tables, which made for a greater variety of H2H skills. We also went with the 1st edition rule that paired weapons was only available to Men at Arms.

That said, here's how we managed the excess attacks per round. You divide the 15 seconds of the round by the # of attacks. That tells you how long you have between attacks. 5 attacks per melee means 1 attack every 3 seconds more or less. Everyone gets to attack at the start of the round (second 1 if you will) and then the attacks are spread out over the next 15 seconds. So if person A has 3 attacks per melee they attack at 1, 6, 11 and 5 attacks per melee and person B attacks at 1, 4, 7, 10, 13. So if those two match up, whoever wins initiative goes first, followed by the other person. In this match up there are two combinations based on who wins initiative. If person A wins it looks like:

A,B,B,A,B,B,A,B

If person B wins initiative it's:
B,A,B,A,B,B,A,B

We always tried to make things between as few opponents as possible so that you can have each character whip through it's melee round and then go to the next person. If you want to be really complicated you can just go second by second in the round with everyone involved and do it that way. Everyone does their first attacks, and then whoever is up next in the seconds counter goes, etc.

-Vek
"Removing the two for living makes the sandwiching easier but makes for more rounds and thus more initiative rolls."
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I run combat similar to Vek. It never made sense that whoever had more attacks just used them up at the end. It seems more balanced if they get more attacks spread throughout the round.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One system that is used a fair bit in the games in the chat room is called the "Five pass system"
Everyone gets 5 passes each turn (each pass is 3 seconds)
Divide your APM by 5. Whole numbers go to each pass (so if you have 7APm that is 1 per pass remainder 2, if you have 10APM that is 2 per pass etc..)
The remainder are divided as the player sees fit with no more than one per pass (so that 7 could be 1/2/2/1/1 for example or 2/2/1/1/1 but NOT 3/1/1/1/1)

Then combat goes as normal... with the caveat that you can spend all your actions in a single pass at one time.
Thus if you have 2 actions you can attack twice, or take an aimed shot, or make a called shot, or cast a 2 action spell....
This allows fast characters to make a few impressive attacks... but at the same time encourages people to soak those extra APM in 'extended actions' that are often not used in regular play... by making them more viable.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:"Removing the two for living makes the sandwiching easier but makes for more rounds and thus more initiative rolls."

How often do you get past the second combat round ?
Especially with high level characters I find the fight has been decided in the first 2 seconds.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, Kiralon, to be honest - not often. I figure that's sort of realistic. I imagine that a real sword fight with people trying to kill each other is going to be over quickly. Then again, I have no experience with sword fighting. We also didn't play with SDC, so that really trimmed down the time it took to kill someone. If you have SDC it can extend combat. It also depends on things like AR, parry bonuses (which can get pretty ridiculous), and damage bonuses. The hilarious part of combat is often how at higher levels the modified dice rolls are like 25 to 24.

I also will admit that characters in our games were generally less prone to starting fights given how quickly they could turn deadly.

If you want to speed up combat here's another trick we used. If you have 5 atm, that's one attack every 3 seconds. The GM would ask you what you wanted to do for your action and then silently count to three. If you didn't state an action within 3 seconds you lost your action. People learned really quickly to make up their minds.

-Vek
"The games are better when combat doesn't take a long time."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Veknironth wrote:Well, Kiralon, to be honest - not often. I figure that's sort of realistic. I imagine that a real sword fight with people trying to kill each other is going to be over quickly. Then again, I have no experience with sword fighting. We also didn't play with SDC, so that really trimmed down the time it took to kill someone. If you have SDC it can extend combat. It also depends on things like AR, parry bonuses (which can get pretty ridiculous), and damage bonuses. The hilarious part of combat is often how at higher levels the modified dice rolls are like 25 to 24.

I also will admit that characters in our games were generally less prone to starting fights given how quickly they could turn deadly.

If you want to speed up combat here's another trick we used. If you have 5 atm, that's one attack every 3 seconds. The GM would ask you what you wanted to do for your action and then silently count to three. If you didn't state an action within 3 seconds you lost your action. People learned really quickly to make up their minds.

-Vek

I use APM/15 the quick ones get exactly this much time to decide what there doing.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, Kiralon, to be honest - not often. I figure that's sort of realistic. I imagine that a real sword fight with people trying to kill each other is going to be over quickly. Then again, I have no experience with sword fighting. We also didn't play with SDC, so that really trimmed down the time it took to kill someone. If you have SDC it can extend combat. It also depends on things like AR, parry bonuses (which can get pretty ridiculous), and damage bonuses. The hilarious part of combat is often how at higher levels the modified dice rolls are like 25 to 24.

-Vek

I also don't play with sdc, and it is better when combat is quick and not one sided with mostly fighters doing things, but I did like what someone said about the battle of hastings being over in 3 seconds if it was in the palladium world, as fights do tend to go for a bit longer, but if you swung your sword 15 times every 15 seconds with enough force to hit, penetrate and hurt you would be exhausted very quickly, and with the fights I have seen I haven't seen guys windmilling wildly as they run along, they pick a target, charge and swing hard at him when they get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtSwoUY ... be&t=8m46s
has a friend fighting in it, and you lose when you go to ground.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”