Dragon's Stones.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Dragon's Stones.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Instead of me telling you how I used the dragon's stones in my campaign, with the gready, and evil princess wanting a crown of dragon's stones...blah, blah, blah. I would like to see you come up with and discuss ways of using a dragon's stone in your games.

What is a dragon stone, you ask...http://tgs.gargoyles-fans.org Dark Ages, Season 2, Dragon's Stone. http://tgs.gargoyles-fans.org/da/season ... stone.html

If you're a fan of the 90's Gargoyles cartoon, all the better.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Dragon's Stones.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I don't remember what they do, and I'm not reading all that today, already risking falling asleep at my desk as it is. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
pblackcrow
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:I don't remember what they do, and I'm not reading all that today, already risking falling asleep at my desk as it is. :P

Was that response really necessary?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I was being cheeky, but honest. Wasn't trying to offend, so you've got my apologies. I really do wanna know what they do so I can respond to your OP. Honestly when i get that way I could be reading anything and pass pass out.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
pblackcrow
Champion

They can do or be whatever the GM says.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Alrik Vas
Knight

So...then they're like any old McGuffin? I'm confused...

Though if i had to come up with something i'd have the PC's encounter some cursed, winged creatures of the night that are seeking the stones so they can live in the daylight again. :D

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Since PB neglected to be very specific, here's a quote from the listed fic:

He had read about 'dragon-stones' in the course of his mystical studies. They were small stone-like objects lodged in the foreheads of all dragons from birth, and gifted, or so sorcerous lore stated, with great magical properties. Indeed, some said that the very magic that the mightiest of dragons could command stemmed from, or was enhanced by, these stones. But their precise properties, few knew. It was very rare for a wizard to be able to obtain one, for dragons nearly always destroyed these stones when they were dying. The one or two sorcerers that he had heard of who had acquired such stones had only been able to do so by prying them loose from the foreheads of the dragons who bore them while they slept.

So, Dragon Stones are magical stones that come from dragon's heads, somehow enhancing their holder's magic in an unspecific way.

My inclination would be to make them PPE batteries, at the least, allowing vastly greater PPE storage, and possibly rapid regeneration (i.e. "Always considered to be meditating, so it regains X PPE per Y minutes"). You might also give them bonuses to spell strength, perhaps to certain types of magic (so one might aid Water warlocks, another might be good for wizards, etc.)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Alrik Vas
Knight

I see, yeah, from the basic wording they seem to be an augment of some sort. Though it would be pretty neat to have them each with a different ability for each dragon type, or maybe even be unique to the creature itself. That could be a fairly good explanation as to why their abilities aren't well know, because the few that have been swiped have all done different things.

Whatever the case, they're obviously powerful artifacts, i'd start with introducing them, have a campaign revolve around a single one (dragons are a kind of a big deal) and only later let the PCs know that every dragon carries one, and that there is some wizard or another on a quest to pokemon catch them all, and they have some sort of relic that lets them entrance dragons so they can just walk up and take their stones without much trouble (so long as they can deal with the dragon's cohorts, but being an evil wizard, that's not necessarily a challenge :bandit:)

This way you could make it something of a mystery until they get their hands on the stones themselves, or maybe the PCs can research a way to figure out which Dragon has the "destroy the world" stone and they can get to that creature first and explain the situation.

Or the PC's can murder hobo it up and steal it all for themselves.

Though, PBC, i do like your evil princess who wants a crown of dragonstones. I think it would be funny if she just wanted them to be overly decadent, rather than gaining any kind of power from them. :lol:

pblackcrow
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:Though, PBC, i do like your evil princess who wants a crown of dragonstones. I think it would be funny if she just wanted them to be overly decadent, rather than gaining any kind of power from them. :lol:

No, she wanted them for the power, and set that as her task/challenge for marriage. She was drop dead gorgeous and RICH!!!...Which rhymes with what she was. One from each type of dragon and at least 7 from a hydra (they are smaller than most).
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”