Short Stories and Forum Policy

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Short Stories and Forum Policy

Unread post by Razorwing »

Though I have spent some time trying to search for the answer on these forums, I can't seem to find any definitive answers, so I thought I would come right out and ask.

What is the policy of these forums in regards to posting Short Stories and Fan Fiction?

I have been working (of and on) on a number of different stories (mostly Palladium Fantasy stories, hence why this post is here) and while I hope to submit the polished works to be considered for the Rifter, I would like to post here to see what people think as well (constructive feedback and all). Sadly I can't find any official word on whether this is approved or discouraged... and the few (actually a ton) or articles my searches have turned up in this regard don't seem to actually answer any policy on this (provided I can even sift through all the posts to find the one or two that might be relevant).

So if anyone knows of any official policy... or can point me to where to find it, I would be most appreciative. I am hoping that I will be able to share my stories with the rest of you soon.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Short Stories and Forum Policy

Unread post by say652 »

Post them and label it Fanfic top avoid a warming for spamming the board.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While I can't find anything that specifically addresses short stories/fan fiction, I can direct you to their Internet Policy.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... ssion-info

This discusses derivative works, which should (as near as I can tell) also include short stories and fan fiction (though not directly called out). Now, there are some parts that will cause others not to contribute such as: "Any derivative works that you create are automatically owned by Palladium ..." This is a major deal breaker for some, and a source of contention for many. Whether you agree with it or not, be aware of the wording. Now, from a personal standpoint, I've heard Kevin (or seen it written at some point) that this is more to protect themselves than anything. If they see their work and want to use it, they'll still attempt to negotiate with you. However, they want to avoid any issues regarding similar ideas they happen to develop at the same time and other potential legal issues. In the end though, you're the one who has to feel comfortable with it.

Another consideration is that you mention you hope to submit polished works to the Rifter. Publishing it on the internet (such as these forums) can be another possible issue there. I'm not sure the overall stance of Palladium at this point, but I've heard talk in the past regarding that if you're planning to submit the material then you shouldn't post it on the internet. I think this might be some more legal safeguards or something, but I can't remember the specifics. Just something else to be aware of and consider. Hope that helps and have fun writing. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Razorwing
Hero

It can be difficult at times to gauge on one's own the quality of one's work. One could share it with their family and friends to get their opinions, but most of them are unfamiliar with the settings and may require the material to be explained to such a degree that one could feel their work isn't good enough. Sometimes one needs an honest opinion and critique from those who understand the setting as well as such a writer.

I do understand that since I am writing in a setting owned by Palladium Books that they do get final say on whether it can be published in the Rifter or posted to these forums... to be honest I am surprised they don't have a fan fiction forum for people to post to (many other places do). As far as I am concerned, being allowed to add to the rich settings they create is a privilege... though it would also be nice to be paid for my work.

In the end, all that really matters to me is the writing... being able to do it and to get the criticism I need to get better at it. Who claims ownership of it and who gets to publish it (and make money with it) are secondary concerns at the moment... the only way I can improve is if I get my work out there for people to comment on. Sadly, that is one thing that the Rifter can't really offer that these forums can... and why I would like to test some ideas here before submitting a more polished version for consideration. Getting feedback from those involved with the Rifter is... unfortunately... not as likely nor as swift (these people have a lot to do, and critiquing a work of fiction or an unpolished article may be more than they have time for... especially if they are doing it with every entry).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Razorwing wrote:It can be difficult at times to gauge on one's own the quality of one's work. One could share it with their family and friends to get their opinions, but most of them are unfamiliar with the settings and may require the material to be explained to such a degree that one could feel their work isn't good enough. Sometimes one needs an honest opinion and critique from those who understand the setting as well as such a writer.

Greetings and Salutations. I won't try to claim I'm some expert (in fact, I'll say I still have a lot to learn), but I do enjoy writing as well. If you have family and friends who can give honest critiques, then I say definitely use them when you can. My fear has always been the reverse, on whether I'm getting genuine feedback or biased praise. Obviously, we need to know what we're doing wrong so we can improve. Something to consider though, and I'll say this without having read your work and merely based upon your comment above but ...

Consider that if you need to explain something to them as the author, then maybe you need to learn to explain it better in your story. In my opinion, your work shouldn't require a deep understanding of the setting for someone to enjoy it. The fans of the setting can appreciate all the references and such, but even a casual reader should be able to enjoy the story on its own merits. Think about the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as examples. Do we need a separate book with detailed accounts of the setting before we can appreciate those stories? Most science fiction and fantasy novels have unique settings, and the authors weave that setting into their tale. Even though you're using an established setting, as a writer it might still benefit you to do the same. So, for example, the first time you introduce a Wolfen, don't just call it a Wolfen. Describe the towering humanoid with shaggy, dark grey fur and a muzzle. Note: I can't say the best way to do this as a whole, but just providing some ideas. Again, I haven't read any of your work, and this is based on a single comment without further knowledge.

Razorwing wrote:Sadly, that is one thing that the Rifter can't really offer that these forums can... and why I would like to test some ideas here before submitting a more polished version for consideration. Getting feedback from those involved with the Rifter is... unfortunately... not as likely nor as swift (these people have a lot to do, and critiquing a work of fiction or an unpolished article may be more than they have time for... especially if they are doing it with every entry).

In my experience, Wayne and the other Palladium staff are unlikely to provide a critique of your work, even if it's been read and/or published. You might be able to call and get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. They're busy, and they just don't typically have the time to respond to things like that. Work published CAN be critiqued by the fan base though once they've read it in the Rifter.

A suggestion I have is to go through some of your stories, pick out a few that you think are your real gems (the stories, not necessarily the writing itself). Set those aside. Take some of the others (ones you like and/or proud of) and post those on these forums. Get your feedback. Learn what you can. Rework those stories as much and as many times as needed. Experiment and see what works and what doesn't. When you feel you've improved enough, go back to that first pile you set aside (your gems). Rewrite those with what you've learned and then try submitting. This will let you get both constructive feedback as well as submit new and interesting ideas to the Rifter. Note: I've followed this advice myself. My Purifier fan fic on these forums is an example of something just to improve my writing and get criticism. Of course, I haven't updated that in a while since I've been having trouble focusing and just can't get motivated to do much of anything at all.

Anyways, that's all for now. Hopefully some of that helps, but in the end you'll have to decide what's best for you. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Razorwing
Hero

There is a difference between providing enough information for someone to understand what is going on in a story at the moment... and providing the entire history of a nation for the last 1000 years that has little bearing on the story at hand.

This is the sort of things that, in my case, my family and friends tend to get hung up on. If I mention that a person is from the Kingdom of Bizantium (or the Western Empire or any other nation), they will want to know a detailed history of what that kingdom is like and why it made this character the way he is... rather than using the details of the character to hint at what that kingdom is like. They expect a detailed commentary on something like a simple folk song sung in a tavern... complete with lyrics and history of any characters mentioned in the song... which is only going to be mentioned once in the entire story. They expect me to create an entire language with syntax and alphabet when dealing with the different languages of the world... and for me to actually use that language rather than translate it into something they can read and understand. All of this to help them immerse themselves into the setting.

This is the sort of thing that Tolkien did in the Lord of the Rings... giving detailed descriptions of things that weren't entirely relevant to the story at hand. His goal was to make the world the most interesting thing about the novels. Unfortunately such a tactic makes for some very dry reading as you have to slog through 20, 50 or 100 pages of information on something mentioned once before you get back to the main story. Don't get me wrong though... it is an amazingly detailed story and worth the read if you can get through it... but most people these days don't have time to do so... and in the case of the Rifter, one has a very limited word count for a story... thus unless such information is of immediate relevance to the story, it really shouldn't be included.

I tend to focus more on character development and events than on the setting. This doesn't mean I don't explain the setting... but I don't go into excruciating detail of it without good reason... reasons that are relevant to the story at hand. If a character in the story needs to know why a particular colony is cursed... then it will be explained to them. Thus the reader learns about that information as the characters do. When a character's past becomes relevant to the story, it is explained... but only the relevant part (such as the history of a rivalry... but not the entire history of the character since their birth). This is also the way I handle many of the adventures I run... providing the relevant information as it is needed (and as my players discover or search for it). If they want the detailed history of a particular dungeon, then they can research it and get it... well... as much as has been recorded or recovered at any rate.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I write 80's Action Movies with a Cyborg for the Hero mostly. In most adventures when i GM (which is often) i just go Full Conversion, to munch up i go partial Conversion Master Psionic.
Razorwing
Hero

say652 wrote:I write 80's Action Movies with a Cyborg for the Hero mostly. In most adventures when i GM (which is often) i just go Full Conversion, to munch up i go partial Conversion Master Psionic.

Not sure what this has to do with short stories... but even partial conversion cyborg will seriously impact your psionic powers. While it may not be quite the same degree as it would have on a practitioner of magic, it is still a considerable weakening of a psychic's potential. Very few cybernetics/bionics are compatible with psionic abilities (mostly M.O.M. systems).
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

I recall an old podcast where Kevin explained that once something was posted on the forums or net, then the author has opened him/herself up to others claiming the idea was theirs, or they deserve some credit (including payment) for the idea or any changes to it. The final advice was, "Don't do it." So, send your story or article directly to the Rifter without forum comment.

Having said that, I am disappointed that after appeals for Rifter submissions in the weekly updates, spending the time to polish up a submission and submitting it, I didn't even get a "We got it. Thanks." response.

I wouldn't mind, "This is not what we're looking for right now," or "This needs some/lots of work, keep at it - we like the idea," or even "This sucks. Try again." Given that fans - Rifter is a fanzine - who take the time to write something are probably some of Palladium's best customers, I believe contributors deserve the respect of at least an acknowledgement of receipt. Not doing so is bad business.

No doubt the staff is busy. But, if they don't have time for a 30 second e-mail response to their best customers I'd suggest their priorities are incorrect. And given the appeals for articles plus the amount of "official" content being published in the last few Rifters (meaning the core writers are working to get a Rifter out vs. working on new books), reading between the lines suggests Palladium has alienated fan submissions.

Don't get me wrong - I really like Palladium's material. I've purchased over 70 Palladium titles. I am a core customer. I am an evangelist for Palladium in my gaming circles. I have the means to buy more. But they've lost me as a Rifter subscriber. I'll by selected issues if they have fantasy articles. I'm looking forward to Lopan because Glen Evans is top notch. My question is why bother submitting when you your submission goes into the void?

Hopefully the staff can find the time to respond to their best fans with a quick, "Thanks for supporting Palladium Books. We have received your submission. If you don't hear back from us, it's not what we're looking for right now, but keep at it."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”