Levitation, Holmes

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Levitation, Holmes

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here's another in my long list of bizarre questions about how spells work. How much does Levitation keep the target of the spell in place? For example, if you're on a sailing vessel and you levitate up to the crow's nest, would the wind blow you off of your vertical course? What if you are struck by an arrow while being levitated? Would the kinetic force propel you in the direction of the arrow's flight? Or, would the arrow cause the levitated person to spin in air? What if a flying creature strikes the foot of the levitated person? Would he or she be knocked head over heels?

-Vek
"I'm up and down on this one."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Levitation, Holmes

Unread post by The Beast »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here's another in my long list of bizarre questions about how spells work.

And here's a bunch of answers that are my own opinion since these question are likely not answered in any PB publication.

How much does Levitation keep the target of the spell in place? For example, if you're on a sailing vessel and you levitate up to the crow's nest, would the wind blow you off of your vertical course?

The spell states that no horizontal movement is possible. What is not clear is if it means that the caster isn't capable of directing the target sideways due to the limitations of the spell, or if the spell prevents all horizontal movement no matter what. Personally, I'd go with the first method, which would allow the target to push off of something as if they're in a zero-G environment. I'd also say a slight breeze wouldn't alter the course, but a strong one could.

However, if you use the latter method, then not even hurricane-force winds would move something under the spell's influence.

What if you are struck by an arrow while being levitated? Would the kinetic force propel you in the direction of the arrow's flight? Or, would the arrow cause the levitated person to spin in air?

The rest of my answers will apply only to the first method. See the last sentence of my previous answer concerning all answers using the second method.

I'd say it would have to be a fairly strong impact to either alter the course or cause it to spin. However, the spin could happen as a result of the target reacting to being hit (ie: he tried twisting away to avoid being hit).

What if a flying creature strikes the foot of the levitated person? Would he or she be knocked head over heels?

Again, it'd have to be a fairly strong impact, though in this situation, I might consider treating it as if a body block/tackle attack was done, and have the attacker roll d% to see if he caused what you suggested.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The way I run that spell/psi power is that it only lifts, and what is lifted can be pushed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here's another in my long list of bizarre questions about how spells work.

Greetings and Salutations. Levitation is mentioned as a form of telekinesis. So try asking those same questions regarding telekinesis. If I'm using Telekinesis to move a rope, will a wind blow it away? Will the kinetic force of an arrow knock it to the side?

As an individual though, if the topic came up (don't think it ever has), I'd probably just make it depend on the maximum weight for the I.S.P. being spent. Example: Medium is 3-20 pounds. I'm lifting a 6 pound object (Medium), so the question will become will this have an affect on a 20 pound object (the maximum weight for that category, because that is how much focus is being put into it).

If this is a contest of strength (like someone is physically trying to grab it and move it), then I'd make a strength check, with Levitation (or Telekinesis for that matter) having a P.S. equal to the weight. So if you're lifting a 220 pound person, that's equal to a P.S. of 11 (carry 110, lift 220). Granted, even if the opponent wins it doesn't mean control is lost (still has to deal with resistance from the power, unless the psychic drops control). For resistance, thinking about struggling with a living person. Just because you're stronger doesn't mean you instantly move them (unless you're a LOT stronger).

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here's another question I forgot to ask. If something strikes the levitated person and creates the spin, on what axis does the person spin?

-Vek
"Center of gravity?"
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IMO, whichever one makes the most sense.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

First off, nice Tenacious D reference.

Second, I see levitation more as hovering than weightlessness. As such, one has some kind of distributed, moderate friction with the object below one's self. Some impact recoil is to be expected, but not much more than one would have on the ground, so spinning from an impact and getting blown away by a light breeze is not something I would expect.

That said, the mental images I see from your interpretation are hilarious, so either way, it's good.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I always played it as vertical (up) force equal to the strength that the person doing the levitate puts into it (as there is the weight limit, or strength), and gravity is what pulls you back down. Wind can shift you easily as you have no friction on the ground below but you do have momentum, so if you run and jump and levitate you can jump a long way if the weather is clear, and is a fun way to get down the side of a mountain. I also play it that it only slows you down by the strength of the levitate if you fall from higher than the levitate goes so its not a sudden stop. Have had some funny incidents with levitating players and giants with clubs(baseball bats hehe).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”