Metal Fabric Armor?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Metal Fabric Armor?

Unread post by Hotrod »

While researching for my Great Northern Wilderness map, I came across an interesting tidbit that I think warrants some further thought. The January Magic tribe's specialty is their ability to make metal threads and weave fabrics with them. The text emphasizes the cosmetic appeal of these textiles, but it doesn't seem to explore the practical aspect of them. What could a suit of such fabric offer in terms of protection?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Metal Fabric Armor?

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Hotrod wrote:While researching for my Great Northern Wilderness map, I came across an interesting tidbit that I think warrants some further thought. The January Magic tribe's specialty is their ability to make metal threads and weave fabrics with them. The text emphasizes the cosmetic appeal of these textiles, but it doesn't seem to explore the practical aspect of them. What could a suit of such fabric offer in terms of protection?

There are modern and ancient textiles that contained metal thread (usually gold or silver) but are/were no stronger than normal cloth. I think that's what they are going for, not something thick enough to provide armor. At that point you might as well make chain mail.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

That's a pretty intriguing thought though, especially when one considers some of the speciality metals available in the Northern Wilderness and Hinterlands.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would think this is more Cloth-of-Gold and less Flexi-Steel. Mostly because framkly the idea of metallic blended body armor starts to get... well if I was going to be playing that sort of thing I would be doing RIFTS in the first place.
That said it might allow for a few rare items enchanted certain ways. But I certainly would not want to make them common place at all (see above.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

It's called "chainmail."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

The key word is "Thread." Meaning it would have no more rigidity than normal thread. Which means it would stop any force from the blow of a weapon.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Could be a tricky way to try and smuggle metals into a place without paying as much tax as clothes tend to attract less tax then say blocks of gold.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

eh.. cloth of gold doesn't really have enough gold content in it to use it for smuggling. you'd be trading a couple easily hidden bars for a whole boat load of fabric.

plus cloth of gold, and the Silk it tends to use as a base material, both usually fall under sumptuary laws, which tend to be both be taxed more heavily and have legal penalties applied when worn by those with the wrong social status.

if a kingdom has laws about who can use cloth of gold and how much, someone showing up with thousands of yards of it is likely to find themselves faced with a lot of extra fee's and suspicion.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Lukterran wrote:The key word is "Thread." Meaning it would have no more rigidity than normal thread. Which means it would stop any force from the blow of a weapon.

then again what about the iron thread of the alchemist?

if you as GM wanted to allow it, I would give it same values as chain mail. At least, the iron/steel.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thread of Iron might be an interesting way to implement a true cloth armor (probably crazy expensive), but yeah, the more I've read on this, the more I think this should just be a fancy-looking cloth with no special features. This might be more interesting in the context of Rifts, where the Tarnaw Crystal could transform the wire into M.D.C. material.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”