Naming a Rune Weapon

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Naming a Rune Weapon

Unread post by Razorwing »

Been working on a rather powerful, Legendary Rune weapon for a story/adventure... but I am having trouble coming up with a name for this weapon. It is a Soul Drinking Rune Scythe that is theoretically capable of devastating entire armies or cities.

It has the following abilities:

5d6 damage.
Superior Soul Drinking (requires a 16+ on save vs. magic to avoid loosing one's soul; and can attempt to drain a soul 15 times per day).
Souls that it drains in the last 24 hours can be used to power a devastating attack that adds 2d6 damage per soul to a melee strike, or 1d6 damage per soul out to a range of 100 ft. (+4 to strike with the ranged attack).
It can also perform a devastating soul drain that can drain the soul of everyone with in a 5 ft. radius (+5 ft. per 10 PPE spent) that doesn't count towards the soul limit per day... and can be channeled into the pervious attack on the following action (usable once every 3 days).
It can also raise 2d6 dead for 4 hours twice per day.

The most common tactic used with this weapon is to approach a sizable army/city and wait to be surrounded before starting with the area affect soul drain... potentially draining the souls of an entire army or city guards before using the souls of those consumed to either launch a devastating attack on anyone who survives... or against any defenses that might be left (such as a city gate). Then raising 2d6 of the fallen warriors to act as an honor guard as the wielder of the weapon marches on to claim victory.

The sight of entire armies and cities falling to the one who uses this weapon has demoralized many who have survived... and many a ruler has surrendered their kingdom without any further resistance (especially since most of their guards/warriors were likely in the initial radius of attack).

As stated, the weapon needs PPE to extend the radius of the attack beyond 5 ft., meaning that to wield it effectively will require a substantial source of PPE to do this... either personal or by other means. Thus the weapon is often used by those who are spell casters, or who have obtained items that can store PPE (many gems can be used to store PPE). Also, other than those who have used the weapon don't realize that the soul wave ability can only be done once every 72 hours... making it a devastating but costly attack to perform (especially if there are few people within range of the attack). So while this weapon is very dangerous, it isn't invincible... and the wielder can be defeated. The smartest users will hold back on the soul wave until they are either facing a large army or have no other choice in a fight.

Now... my problem with this weapon is coming up with a good name for it. I know, there are a lot of resources out there that could help me... which I have tried without success to find a name for this weapon. So I thought I would come to this forum to see if anyone could help with suggestions. I would like to avoid some of the more obvious names (things along the line of Reaper or Harvester and such)... as those would simply be too obvious for my players.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Naming a Rune Weapon

Unread post by Glistam »

That is a terrifying weapon in so many ways. The name Sunder comes to mind.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Romero's Creseant
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

"Chuck" ;-)

It's not dissimilar to Hackmaster/KODT's "Carvin' Marvin", especially the up-powered version from recent stories.

However, while Sunder works well, this thing is so insanely powerful, I'd stick some suitably epic name and destiny. "[Insert Deity's Name]'s Bane"

"Utu's Bane"
"Rurga's Bane"

It is a weapon designed to kill gods, and the army that surrounds them. You might even look for the name of dead deities and use that... "Wunjo's Bane" or "Osiris's Bane" are both really evocative names that imply that this weapon already HAS killed a deity.

If you're comfortable with a bit of callback, its mass-soul-drain ability suggests "Death Blossom". Or, if your players are young, and have no appreciation of the classics, "Dementor's Kiss"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Glistam wrote:That is a terrifying weapon in so many ways. The name Sunder comes to mind.

That name's already taken. :P

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The Beast wrote:
Glistam wrote:That is a terrifying weapon in so many ways. The name Sunder comes to mind.

That name's already taken. :P

I don't play Elder Scrolls.

tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

The soul splitter
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Heavens Fall
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

What about shortening a less impressive/revealing name to give people a false impression of its abilities. Sort of like using

Bawod (Bad A**** Weapon of Doom)

F.S.T.T (Fifteen Souls To Take), probably pronounced Fist (expect a glove/claw weapon and you get a scythe?)

R.A.D. (Radial Attack Device)

Of course if the letters use non-english words to make up the long form name you might get other options.

Mark Hall wrote:If you're comfortable with a bit of callback, its mass-soul-drain ability suggests "Death Blossom". Or, if your players are young, and have no appreciation of the classics, "Dementor's Kiss"

But DB is a weapon of last resort.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Pick one name from group 1 then one word from group 2 and another from group 3

Group 1: Kharon's; Nergal's; Mannanan's; Yeomra's; Vichama's; Venca's (ok yea I know DnD); Anubis'; Nephthys'; Tuoni's; Thanatos'; Persephone's; Tartaruss; Lady Hel's; Aita's; Ogbunabali's; Yama's; Kali's; Vishnu's; Azreal's' (any other applicable death/destruction deity of your choice)

Group 2: Irresistible; Inevitable; Inescapable; Deadly; Surrendering; Sundering, Leeching; Gentle; Forceful; Gluttonous; etc

Group 3: Kiss; Embrace; Wrath; Scythe; Call; Beacon; Beckoning; Vortex; Grasp; Maelstrom; Visitation; Reaping; Engulfment; etc
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Most people who recognised it would call it F**k*ng run.
It calls everybody soondead and gunnabiteit.
I call it a leedle weapon I bought for 5 creds in a seedy bar in rifts earth.

So I shall call it Betty.
Razorwing
Hero

Yes... it is an incredibly devastating weapon... and one that has become justifiably feared in the last 6000 years.

Yes, I said the last 6,000 years for while this weapon was forged during the last years of the Elf-Dwarf war... it did not see use in that great conflict. In fact, when it made it's first appearance after the end of the Millennium of Purification, it didn't seem to possess the powers it now has. It was still a soul drinker and a fearsome weapon, but the signature attacks it now uses didn't seem to be available in its early appearances. Of course, with each new appearance (sometimes centuries would pass between appearances of this weapon), it seemed to grow more powerful... able to drain more souls with greater ease that previously. It's devastating attack of channeling the souls it collects into one powerful strike first appeared about 1000 years ago. It's ability to drain the souls from an army was first (reliably) displayed only 500 years ago.

Since then it has vanished from the world... but rumors of a black armored man wielding such a scythe near the Disputed Lands between the Eastern Territories and the Wolfen Empire have begun to circulate (though if one studies the previous appearances of this weapon, they will also notice that everyone else who wielded it also wore black armor of similar design... the same person or just the same armor?). Though no armies have yet been destroyed by this figure to prove he has claimed this weapon, many fear just what new powers this Scythe may now have... or which side (if any) this warrior may be on. All that they do know is that Elannxla, the Devourer of Souls may have awakened once more.

Does this name and title work? Still not sure, but it is progress.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Utu's contradiction or Utu's Denial or something like that would be better as there are more than a few devourer of souls, and the weapon does keep souls from utu.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Elannxla, the Insatiable.

Razorwing
Hero

It is unknown if Soul Drinker actually keep souls from Utu. While many do use them to power their abilities, what happens to them afterwards has never been discovered. Thus, there really is no way to know for sure if Elannxla prevents Utu from claiming the souls it devours. Since Utu has never shown any animosity towards any Soul Drinker, it would be arrogant to claim that this weapon in particular can deny the Lord of the Dead that which belongs to him. As more than a few have learned, such arrogance isn't well received by Utu... and thus it is unlikely that Elannxla would allow such a title to be attached to itself (why draw ire from a God when one has no reason to do so?).

To be honest though... Elannxla has probably had many titles over the centuries... the Insatiable... Devourer of Souls... Reaper of Armies... the Devastator of Kingdoms. It has never been associated with any particular religion or cult... though there have been armies that have followed the wielder of the weapon on many occasions (some of which have been sacrificed to the weapon to power its devastating attacks). Interestingly enough though... despite its dark reputation, it has never been used as a weapon of terror against civilian populations. Yes, it has devastated entire armies of many nations... but has never gathered the civilian populace of any conquered kingdom to feed its powers (though many believe it just never needed to do so). Furthermore... many of the nations that faced this fearsome weapon were places of great darkness themselves... evil places that could have spread great darkness over all lands. Why such a dark weapon would choose to extinguish such darkness rather than serve it is one of the many questions those who search for Elannxla seek to answer.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Its a pretty good bet that soul drunk souls don't go to Utu, as the description says
"The drinking of souls is the actual absorption and imprisonment of one's life essence."
and
"A victim devoured by a rune weapon is forever lost."

Which sounds like the soul is out of everybody's reach, but of course is up to the DM. In the general course of things I play soul sucked as gone for good, it's the metaphysical version of being transformed into fertiliser. Of course a good story/adventure might being back one person but that would be it.

and as to irritating Utu, it might or might not, each less soul might mean less work for him. I wouldn't go around waving it in his face going naanaanaa, as he does seem to only react to direct challenges to his authoritah.

Its just devourer of souls is so cliched
Razorwing
Hero

It's not like Elannxla chooses what others decide to call it... and as cliché as it may be... it is still fairly accurate (and surprisingly... not used in known Palladium rune weapons). It merely calls itself Elannxla.

As for what happens to the souls... there is what is what is known and what is believed. It is believed that they are destroyed by such weapons... but it isn't actually known if that happens. Regardless... there is no known animosity between such rune weapons and any death god... and it is unlikely that any soul drinker would risk angering such beings by allowing such titles to be attached to themselves.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Horizon because that is all that will be visible

Utu's Hand

How about a history of what it has done? It may have gotten a name from its deeds
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

*Raises eye brow.* Rifter 52? :D Greetings and Salutations. Hmm ... possible names.

Dark Song: It's said that as the sword drinks the souls of an entire city, the vortex of consumed souls makes the most beautiful, and yet horrifying, of song.
-or-
The Banshee's Wail: When the sword consumes a soul, any nearby Psychic Sensitives can hear an agonizing wail.

Just a couple thoughts that came to mind. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Sword of ALL dooms
Razorwing
Hero

Prysus wrote:
*Raises eye brow.* Rifter 52? :D Greetings and Salutations. Hmm ... possible names.

Dark Song: It's said that as the sword drinks the souls of an entire city, the vortex of consumed souls makes the most beautiful, and yet horrifying, of song.
-or-
The Banshee's Wail: When the sword consumes a soul, any nearby Psychic Sensitives can hear an agonizing wail.

Just a couple thoughts that came to mind. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Ah... someone has been paying attention to the subtle hint's I've been leaving in the various rumors on this weapon's activities... though I will neither confirm or deny any speculations as to the nature of this weapon. :twisted:

While this weapon could... in theory drink the souls of an entire city... it has never been used in such a way. The souls of armies... yes... but never on a civilian population. It has decimated city guards that were called out to stop its wielder, and shattered the protective walls of more than one kingdom... but it has never terrorized the innocent. It has shattered nations by depriving them of the warriors that would defend it from outsiders... but in many cases the armies that faced this weapon were on their way to conquer other nations (which then banded together to take out their weakened adversary). It has routed hordes of barbarians that threatened to overwhelm other nations... often before such nations ever knew they were in danger. Why such a weapon has used such terrible methods to protect others from such evils rather than lead those evils to conquer the known world is just part of the mysteries that make up Elannxla.

An accurate history of the deed done by the Elannxla is impossible to render, as many of those deeds happened in the time between the end of the Millennium of Purification and the rise of Human Nations, when accurate records were rarely kept, and the few that were focused solely upon the foundling nations that would rise. Still, there are fragmented accounts that the human nations that would rise to replace the Elven and Dwarven Empires were not the only nations to rise from the ashes of the Old Kingdom. Many smaller nations and city-states would rise and fall over the centuries... and it is from the records left in these ruins that some of Elannxla's deeds can be gleamed.

Many of these records come from ruins found in the Old Kingdoms... ruins that are often centuries old, yet not of either Elven or Dwarven design. The few records found in these ruins tell tales of city states founded by the survivors of the Great War... some hoping to rebuild what was lost... others seeking to build their own kingdoms with the secrets they had managed to gather. Many of these city states thrived for decades, even centuries... repelling numerous attacks by bandits and raiders... monsters and demons. There are tales of great hordes of orcs and ogres the likes of which can barely be imagined... and of powerful warriors with great weapons who would fight those armies and defeat them with dangerous magics the likes that were believed to have been destroyed in the millennia that followed the Great War. As these fledgling nations began to thrive... their prosperity gave way to the dream of conquest and revenge against those they believed had done them wrong in the past. It is here that the great warriors that had defended them with their powerful weapons and dark magics turned against them... shattering their conquering armies that dared to turn friend into foe and neighbor into slave. With their armies and defenses shattered, those they sought to conquer turned their eye towards conquering them... ending the dream of rebuilding the Old Kingdom. Those that survived migrated out of the Old Kingdom to found new nations where their enemies didn't follow... giving rise to the nations of the Age of Man. Though the records are incomplete and from multiple sources in many different languages... more than a few of the names of the legendary weapons used by these great warriors appear many times. Elannxla is one of these names... and is believed to be the name of the rune scythe wielded by a darkly armored warrior (mostly because it is the only name used in regards to this warrior, but since similar warriors have all wielded the same weapon, it couldn't be the name of the warrior himself... for not even Elves can live for millennia).

The only being who would know the full and accurate history of Elannxla would be Elannxla itself... or one of its many wielders. Sadly, the weapon seems to go missing soon after its presence can be confirmed... with little to no sign of its former masters. Rumors abound about those who claim to have found the weapon... though most turn out to be mere hoaxes. By the time anyone can confirm that Elannxla has awakened and is on the move, it has usually moved on leaving ruined armies and fallen kingdoms in its wake. Still, there does seem to be a pattern to Elannxla's appearances in history... a pattern that might suggest where the weapon might appear next. Many of the armies and nations that have fallen to its dark powers had grown vile and decadent... more so than even the worst the Western Empire has to offer. Such nations and city-states were on the verge of conquering neighboring nations when their armies are shattered by a lone warrior wielding the infamous scythe (though sometimes the warrior leads a small army as well). Most of the appearances have been close to the Old Kingdom... though sometimes a few hundred miles from its current borders (on either side). Recent rumors of a dark armored warrior wielding a rune scythe have been circulating within the area that both the Wolfen Empire and the Eastern Territories are ready to go to war over... but to date there have been no reliable evidence that the this weapon possesses the legendary powers of Elannxla... and other rumors suggest that this warrior has been seen throughout the Eastern Territories, Wolfen Empire and even as far as the Western Empire and Timiro. Does this warrior possess the infamous Rune Scythe? If so... what are his intentions with it (and which nations, kingdoms and cities will fall because of it).
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:Most people who recognised it would call it F**k*ng run.

Warning: It may call you Al. :mrgreen:

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Mark Hall wrote:

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

with powers like that, i'd have it's official name be "Battlefield's bane", since that is clearly a formation breaker weapon. but i also believe that rune weapons with history behind them should have multiple names, including informal ones based on the events of their history. so in this case it might have just been "reaper", and maybe "Kingdom's fall" depending on how poetical the teller of the tales gets.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Glistam wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Me too.
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Me too.

Do-doot-doot-doot, Do-doot-doot-doot...

All Palladium Articles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Well at least he didn't suggest you ando Julio.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:
kiralon wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Me too.

Do-doot-doot-doot, Do-doot-doot-doot...

There's a name for it Bonedigger
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Guardsfall
Hordefell
Reichsfall
Peacemaker
Ambassador (the simple presence of the weapon made two warring kingdoms come to the negotiate table, used by a simple farmer who was caught in the cross fire)
Dovesblade
Warsend
Victories Scale
Widdowmaker
Siegelifter
Bloodywind
Soulstripper
Soulhook
Heistboone (used by a thief to clear a fortress of guards so he could steal a priceless, but mundane, artifact)
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

For something this powerful I suggest a subtle, yet supremely ominous name. Right off the top of my head I dub thee......

"Oblivion"

Feel free to add to this in any way shape or form you see fit. A few examples could be 'The Hand of...', '...'s Heart', 'Dark...' etc.

Good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

JuliusCreed wrote:For something this powerful I suggest a subtle, yet supremely ominous name. Right off the top of my head I dub thee......

"Oblivion"

Feel free to add to this in any way shape or form you see fit. A few examples could be 'The Hand of...', '...'s Heart', 'Dark...' etc.

Good luck and great gaming!

Hope it doesn't make Daedra

Hey Julius ya heard the one about what happens to Texas if Alaska got cut in half?

Texas becomes the third largest state. :)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Soul Scythe, because it cuts down many people at once, and it uses what it kills to give it energy to kill more, just like a farmer eating his grain and then going out and harvesting more.

I hope your group is good with bows and arrows.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Razorwing
Hero

Hotrod wrote:Soul Scythe, because it cuts down many people at once, and it uses what it kills to give it energy to kill more, just like a farmer eating his grain and then going out and harvesting more.

You are assuming that my group will be opposing the one wielding this weapon... or he will be opposing them. A logical assumption of course... but still an assumption seemingly based on what this weapon can do, not on why it is being used (often a far more interesting and important reason).
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Razorwing wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Soul Scythe, because it cuts down many people at once, and it uses what it kills to give it energy to kill more, just like a farmer eating his grain and then going out and harvesting more.

You are assuming that my group will be opposing the one wielding this weapon... or he will be opposing them. A logical assumption of course... but still an assumption seemingly based on what this weapon can do, not on why it is being used (often a far more interesting and important reason).

True, I'm making assumptions here. There could be some interesting ethical issues with using this weapon, especially with its area effect power. There could be interesting drama involving an ally using it. Tactically, it's most interesting to me as a weapon in the hands of the opposition. In that respect, I have to say kudos on this particular design, because this could make your adventure more interesting no matter who is using it.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gee so if it eats souls in such large quantities... uh, maybe Soul Harvester. Wait is that the name of the AI in Psyscape or is that just Harvester?

SOULMONGER

End of Days

Rapture
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Chuck Norris
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

say652 wrote:Chuck Norris

Perfect!
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

J_cobbers wrote:
say652 wrote:Chuck Norris

Perfect!

Hmmmmmm. Chuck Norris is a weapon. But Chuck Norris isn't used by other people and Chuck Norris' soul couldn't be put into a rune weapon. Last time somebody tried the weapon exploded destroying the dimension and that is the story of how he arrived here on Earth fully grown.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

If Chuck Norris was a soul-drinking rune weapon, we'd all be gingers.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I'd see him coming.
Razorwing
Hero

To be honest... there have been a lot of good names... and chances are that Elannxla has been called by all of them at one point or another over the last 6000 years... by many different races.

Since the fall of the Elven and Dwarven Empires, the Old Kingdom has been overrun by many different monstrous races... many in numbers that should have over run many of the fledgling kingdoms beginning to form out side the borders of the Old Kingdom. There have also been a few city-states within the Old Kingdom that have managed to hold on for centuries against these monstrous hordes... only to fall... sometimes seemingly over night. On more than one occasion, a brutal leader rises from within the monstrous races to unite many tribes under one banner and begin a march towards one of the young human kingdoms... but never manages to make it out of the Old Kingdom... or what remains of their legion has been so decimated that it proves ineffective against the defenses the human nations have built. Those who study these events... from what little records that have been found... have noticed one thing that they all have in common... the armies of these hordes and states were decimated by a single person wielding a single weapon.

In the earliest stories, the wielder of the weapon... often depicted as a scythe... appears before the army and challenges its leader to single combat for control of its forces. Always, the leader falls before the weapon... sometimes with only a single non-fatal seeming wound. With the leader dead, the wielder walks off... leaving the hordes or armies to decide between themselves who will lead... often leading to the self destruction of monster hordes or political upheaval in city-states that cripples their armies.

3000 years ago, with the rise of a great orc horde that threatened to sweep out of the Old Kingdom and either decimate the Old Kingdom Frontier of the Western Empire or more likely the Kingdoms of Timiro and the Land of the South Winds, the wielder of the scythe appeared once more and challenged the leader of the gathering horde to combat. Intrigued... the warlord agreed only if the challenger could prove himself a worthy foe by defeating the Warlords champions... each a fearsome fighter. Six times the challenger faced a new opponent... each fresh for the fight while he was not given time to heal between matches. Six times, the challenger defeated the champions... each with only a minimal wound. When he had proven his worth before the horde, he again addressed the Warlord and challenged him to a duel for the horde... a request the Warlord refused before his entire army who saw the challenger as a worthy leader. The Warlord then ordered the gathered warriors to slay the challenger. None were eager to face the warrior who had bested the six greatest warriors of the horde and whom their own Warlord seemed to fear... but none were given the chance to do more than wonder who would be first to die... for the challenger struck the ground with his weapon and the six warriors that had fallen to him rose once more under his control. Then the challenger asked who would deny his claim to fight the coward that lead them... and none answered. Thus he ordered the six dead warriors to kill the warlord as he left. None rose to their Warlord's defense... and even moved out of the way so that the coward that had lead them could not hide from the dead warriors he had betrayed. Within days of the Warlord's death, the gathered horde had returned to their tribal lands... speaking of the power of the dark warrior who could raise those he slew as his own army.

2000 years ago... a powerful city state arose in the northern part of the Old Kingdom Mountains. Though initially peaceful, its military sough to conquer vast stretches of the Old Kingdom and build a New Empire. With every success against the monster tribes, the people grew bolder and more militaristic. It was rumored that they had found an ancient weapon... possibly of either the Elves or the Dwarves... or even of the Old Ones... a weapon that supposedly made their warriors superior to all. Their successes against the monster tribes seemed to prove the rumors. Then, just as their military leaders began to discuss plans to annex the Kingdom of Timiro to show the world their power... a warrior in dark armor wielding a scythe appeared leading an army of races that the kingdom had attacked. Though the army he lead was great, the warrior approached the massive gates of the city and offered them an ultimatum. Send out their ten greatest warriors to battle him one on one to prove they were invincible and they could have his horde to act as cannon fodder in their wars... but if he beat them, then they would open their gates so that his army could have its revenge for the slaughter the city had done against them. The warrior even offered to allow the women and children of the city leave without any violence against them. Though their warriors were powerful, they realized that having the warrior's army to soften Timiro's defenses would make their conquest all the more assured... so they agreed to the warrior's terms. The ten most powerful warriors faced the challenger in the fields in front of the city. Leaving his army just out of range of the city's defenses, the challenger met his opponents. Ten warriors faced the challenger... each supposedly as powerful as a demi-god... and ten times the challenger defeated them with a minimal of effort. When the fights were over, the challenger approached the gates and demanded they be open as per their agreement... and even said he would keep his word that all women and children were free to leave unharmed. When the leaders refused to open the gates... the challenger lifted his scythe and swung it at the massive metal doors... dark energy from the weapon blasting them open. He then touched his weapon to the ground and raised the fallen warriors he had slain to serve him before stating that the women and children would be left unharmed... but this time he was addressing not the city, but the army he had lead to the city... and that the dead warriors would kill anyone who broke this promise. The gathered horde then rushed through the breached defenses and slaughtered the denizens of the city... leaving only the women and children to flee. It was these survivors who spread the tale of their kingdom's end to the rest of the world.

1000 years ago, a powerful Gromek Warlord managed to unite many of the warring tribes of the Mount Nimro region with promises of invasion of the Land of the South Winds or even the Old Kingdom Frontier of the (then seemingly weak) Western Empire. Gathering hordes of lesser races to act as cannon fodder for this push, they attracted the attention of a lone warrior wielding a scythe. Any who tried to stop this warrior from approaching the Warlord was cut down by his scythe. Finally the warrior stood before the Warlord, surrounded by a great army of monstrous races enslaved by the Gromek. The warrior demanded to challenge the Warlord to single combat for control of the gathered forces. Believing that this single warrior was no threat to him, the Warlord denied the warrior his challenge and ordered those that had surrounded the warrior to kill him. As he ordered this, the warrior swept his weapon around and hit the end of it to the ground. All those within 100 feet of the warrior fell to the ground as their souls were ripped from their bodies. Touching the tip of the blade to the ground, the warrior then raised those he slaughtered as his own army that tore into the gathered horde as the warrior pointed his scythe at the stunned Gromek Warlord. A blast of dark energy powered by the souls the warrior had taken shot from his scythe and blasted the Warlord to dust... and any who had stood between him and the warrior. By the time the dead warriors had been defeated, the Gromek horde had scattered back into their individual tribes... while the dark warrior vanished without a trace, taking his accursed scythe with him. To this day, many believe that this warrior had set back the Gromek enough to give the Giants of the Nimro region enough time to organize and drive them from the volcano.

These are but a fraction of the tales of attributed to Elannxla... spread by the survivors of the weapon's appearances and slowly gathered by scholars trying to locate the fabled Rune Scythe. Many more tales are believed to exist in forgotten corners of the Old Kingdom... hidden in the ruins of long dead cities (possibly destroyed by Elannxla). Some believe that the weapon is due to awaken soon... if it hasn't already been found. Many fear that it will be used in the inevitable war between the Wolfen Empire and the Eastern Territories, but none know which side it will be on... if any. All wonder what new dark powers this legendary weapon may now unleash upon the world... and what kingdoms will fall when it does.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:I'd see him coming.

Just like you can dodge a laser because you see the light coming.... oh wait that means you've already been hit.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”