Farmers & Villagers vs Raiders

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

Farmers & Villagers vs Raiders

Unread post by RavenStarver »

Working on the next development in my campaign, an army of Coyle barbarians are going to assault the village the players are using as a base, and I need an idea of what the average villagers stats would be. It's a fishing village for context, about 200-250 people, mix of humans, orcs, coyles, wolfen, and a large family of mining kobolds (one of the players families)

I'm working out the important (named) NPCs but I don't know how to handle the generic people.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Farmers & Villagers vs Raiders

Unread post by kiralon »

It's best answered by you

but here are some helpful questions

1. How many of the Villagers can/will fight
2. How good are they
3. How well equipped are they
4. How many are humans/coyles/kobolds etc
5. Does the village have a wall/defences
6. Does the village have potential reinforcements and do the villagers know about it
7. How outnumbered is the village
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

RavenStarver wrote:Working on the next development in my campaign, an army of Coyle barbarians are going to assault the village the players are using as a base, and I need an idea of what the average villagers stats would be. It's a fishing village for context, about 200-250 people, mix of humans, orcs, coyles, wolfen, and a large family of mining kobolds (one of the players families)

I'm working out the important (named) NPCs but I don't know how to handle the generic people.

Average villager stats are probably "average" rolls (call it 9 to 11 for humans), skills are probably handled best by the class/occupation they are. Their other/2ndary skills are likely more varied, but don't need to be fully fleshed out IMHO.
RavenStarver
Explorer

kiralon wrote:It's best answered by you

2. How good are they
6. Does the village have potential reinforcements and do the villagers know about it

1. They're currently training about twenty actual fighters, but if raiders broke in I'd imagine quiet a few people would grab kitchen knives and desperately try to protect their families.
2. They're mostly fishermen, they are quite capable in that regard, as they regularly hunt large fish like sharks.
3. Bronze weapons and shields. They could do better but they've only got one blacksmith who can actually make weapons and armor.
4. The population is 84 Wolfen, 54 Coyles, 13 Orcs, 22 Kobolds, 127 Humans. Oh, and 15 of the 20 guys they're training are wolfen.
5. It's actually very well protected. The town was built in a cove surrounded by high cliffs leaving only one road in from land which they built a small wall across with a gate, otherwise the only approach is by sea.
6. If they could get word out there is a Dominion Army outpost garrisoned by 750 soldiers about 20 miles away.
7. Very, depending on which group it is that attacks it'll be the 20 defenders trying to fight between 100-200 Coyles Raiders.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

ok, fun...critical planning time. how long do you have? how are the raiders coming? on land, by boats, etc? do the raiders have horses? any archers? how about using the terrain (digging pits, causing rock slides, setting up a log roll, and thngs like that)? is there a wall around said village?

if all else fails you can always do this: http://www.thecomicstrips.com/store/add.php?iid=102738
RavenStarver
Explorer

ShadowHawk wrote:ok, fun...critical planning time. how long do you have? how are the raiders coming? on land, by boats, etc? do the raiders have horses? any archers? how about using the terrain (digging pits, causing rock slides, setting up a log roll, and thngs like that)? is there a wall around said village?

if all else fails you can always do this: http://www.thecomicstrips.com/store/add.php?iid=102738

It's a ways off. I'm building up to it, there hasn't actually been an army marching yet. I also might switch Coyle barbarians for an ambitious Wolfen Legate lead a legion south.
By land or sea? hmmmmmmmm..... it depends, the Coyles wouldn't have a boat, a Wolfen Legate could send a Dragon Ship with Wolfen Marines.
Horses? I don't think so, I've given my players the reason that the canines have a hard time with stirrups and the alternatives they've tried don't work too well.
Archers they'd have some either way.
The villagers could definitely do some fun things with the terrain, once they know an enemy is coming.
The village is flanked on almost all sides by impassible cliff faces, the only land approach is a pass about forty feet wide

Really I'm just trying to figure out what the average fisherman's stats would be so if any invaders get past the defenders I've got a rough idea how long they'll last.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Average Fisherman, human vs. an average Coyle barbarian? Call it maybe one full melee, 2 with some good rolls. That's one v one. Multiple raiders vs. One Fisherman well it would be a slaughter then.

Statwise. Your average fisherman should probably have average stats across the board save for both PS and PE. It takes a good amount of strength to haul in a net and the endurance to last fishing from before sun up til sundown.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Sink the ships, and call lightning on the water and kill the swimmer. But that's me and I like to rack up experience points quickly.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

With 20 fighters and maybe 100 others (out of the total population of about 300, the "others" represent those physically capable of fighting, but lack training), against 200 coyles, you're looking at a pretty nasty fight, likely to be very heavily slanted against the villagers.

But, average villager? Probably 50% have a relevant WP... sling, bow, spear (since they're a fishing village), club, etc. Most will have about 4d6 HP and 1d6+~10 SDC (the bonus SDC comes from physical skills I assume they have as secondary skills), so call it 14 HP and 13 SDC. Armor is likely to be light leather... their toughest, newest jackets, padded out as best they're able.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
pblackcrow
Champion

They have the terrain advantage, they can use it if they have to. Granted, they also have an attacking army that has very little advantage. The only advantage they have is, the size of their army. And heck, size is not always an advantage. Not to those who can think outside the box.

I wish I was playing in this one. I'm like tactics and strategy games.

I would agree with you on everything but the armor...I would, if the village smith and leather worker had time to make it mind you, and the weather permitted, I would do something like...crap...can't think of the name, but it's the armor that has leather outside and metal plaids inside. Don't think it's branigan, but that's all that's popping into my head right now.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mark Hall wrote:With 20 fighters and maybe 100 others (out of the total population of about 300, the "others" represent those physically capable of fighting, but lack training), against 200 coyles, you're looking at a pretty nasty fight, likely to be very heavily slanted against the villagers.

But, average villager? Probably 50% have a relevant WP... sling, bow, spear (since they're a fishing village), club, etc. Most will have about 4d6 HP and 1d6+~10 SDC (the bonus SDC comes from physical skills I assume they have as secondary skills), so call it 14 HP and 13 SDC. Armor is likely to be light leather... their toughest, newest jackets, padded out as best they're able.

WP wise they might also have Knife (gut the fish among other uses, not to mention a "go to" weapon for dealing with pirates at sea who attempt to board)
and possibly Net (depending on how they fish and such).

If they have WP Net (or even access to fishing nets) they might be able to use the nets in their defense.
Library Ogre

ShadowLogan wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:With 20 fighters and maybe 100 others (out of the total population of about 300, the "others" represent those physically capable of fighting, but lack training), against 200 coyles, you're looking at a pretty nasty fight, likely to be very heavily slanted against the villagers.

WP wise they might also have Knife (gut the fish among other uses, not to mention a "go to" weapon for dealing with pirates at sea who attempt to board)

If they have WP Net (or even access to fishing nets) they might be able to use the nets in their defense.

If nothing else, fishing nets can make decent arrow defense, reducing the effect of any volleys getting through.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
RavenStarver
Explorer

pblackcrow wrote:They have the terrain advantage, they can use it if they have to. Granted, they also have an attacking army that has very little advantage. The only advantage they have is, the size of their army. And heck, size is not always an advantage. Not to those who can think outside the box.

I wish I was playing in this one. I'm like tactics and strategy games.

I would agree with you on everything but the armor...I would, if the village smith and leather worker had time to make it mind you, and the weather permitted, I would do something like...crap...can't think of the name, but it's the armor that has leather outside and metal plaids inside. Don't think it's branigan, but that's all that's popping into my head right now.

Lol, the armor is called a Brigandine, a more advanced version of a coat of plates.
Yeah, and after research on how long it took to make armors, as long as the smith is good at what he does he could churn out one suit every couple of days.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Mark Hall wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

If nothing else, fishing nets can make decent arrow defense, reducing the effect of any volleys getting through.

That's actually a good idea. What about also sewing fishing hooks into some nets and then throwing them over groups that try to climb over the walls? Entangle them and the hooks will hold.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Is fish oil very flammable? If so they could have a lot of molotov cocktails on hand
Library Ogre

I kept looking that up, actually... wasn't sure, and it seems not to be. Whale oil is, though, and depending on how narrow that canyon is, they might simply make fires to limit access.

All Palladium Articles
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

If the town builds a wall that is at least 18 ft tall id give them alot more of an edge. The town is bound to have 3 or 4 possible more rangers maybe lv 5 or higher for hunting and such, they will be a great boon when it comes to bows alone.

The town should have at least a few with boxing and hth basic, be it from town fairs and boxing matches or just rough childhoods, 10%ish should have some psi powers just due to the odds.
If the village is north of the wolfen empire its likely they will have a few fisherman that might be trained to battle sea monsters.

There is a great possibility of a druid or two living near, maybe a bear man or two near by that will miss his trading partners, where else are they going to get cookies and pies if the humans are dead.

If pit traps and punji stake pits are quickly made up the few caught will be out of the fight. Its possible at least one tax collector could be in town, often they roll with a few gaurds, fully kitted.
Maybe even a witch is hidden amongst the town and a priest of light and dark to give some magical aid.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Zamion138 wrote:If the town builds a wall that is at least 18 ft tall id give them alot more of an edge. The town is bound to have 3 or 4 possible more rangers maybe lv 5 or higher for hunting and such, they will be a great boon when it comes to bows alone.

The town should have at least a few with boxing and hth basic, be it from town fairs and boxing matches or just rough childhoods, 10%ish should have some psi powers just due to the odds.
If the village is north of the wolfen empire its likely they will have a few fisherman that might be trained to battle sea monsters.

There is a great possibility of a druid or two living near, maybe a bear man or two near by that will miss his trading partners, where else are they going to get cookies and pies if the humans are dead.

If pit traps and punji stake pits are quickly made up the few caught will be out of the fight. Its possible at least one tax collector could be in town, often they roll with a few gaurds, fully kitted.
Maybe even a witch is hidden amongst the town and a priest of light and dark to give some magical aid.

The town actually does have a wall 15-20ft tall, though it's not very thick, maybe 5-10ft.
The Rangers makes sense.
The village is actually south of the Wolfen, on the coast of the inner sea in the Eastern Territory.
A lot of this depends, honestly if the party has a decent amount of time to prepare our Knight has his own small force of 100 guys he'd just need a week or so to muster and march over.
This is all mostly in hypothetical, they haven't given any of the hordes in the region a reason to conquer them. They're more likely to get caught in a crossfire between a horde and the Dominion forces ATM. I also had one of the players spot a Wolfen Legionnaire Scout, because I'm a dick and love watching players sweat :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Just to mess with them, you should have troll tracks when they go to check it out.....make them think either its trolls and wolfen or the miss read what they saw.......trolls are scarier what with the rapey orcs under there command
Last edited by Zamion138 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Zamion138 wrote:Just to mess with them, you should have troll tracks when they go to check it out.....make them think either its trolls and wolfen or the miss read what they saw.......trolls are scarier what the rapey orcs under there command

I know you meant "crappy" :lol:

I've done that several times already, had them sneaking down a road for miles after they found a wagon that had been attacked by a flying monster. And I'm kind of misleading them with a Wolfen spy, after all the guy still has to travel back one to two hundred miles to report to his commander. Not that they've realized that, the Mind Mage is convinced that the Wolfen have a fort in the crags north of their town. :lol:
pblackcrow
Champion

I have done a different approach with trolls...I have had them attack the castle from behind while the army battles in the front...though, one group did impress me by dumping lamp oil on the troll and the orcs that were with it and then let loose fire arrows.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

RavenStarver wrote:

2. How good are they

1. They're currently training about twenty actual fighters, but if raiders broke in I'd imagine quiet a few people would grab kitchen knives and desperately try to protect their families.
2. They're mostly fishermen, they are quite capable in that regard, as they regularly hunt large fish like sharks.
3. Bronze weapons and shields. They could do better but they've only got one blacksmith who can actually make weapons and armor.
4. The population is 84 Wolfen, 54 Coyles, 13 Orcs, 22 Kobolds, 127 Humans. Oh, and 15 of the 20 guys they're training are wolfen.
5. It's actually very well protected. The town was built in a cove surrounded by high cliffs leaving only one road in from land which they built a small wall across with a gate, otherwise the only approach is by sea.
6. If they could get word out there is a Dominion Army outpost garrisoned by 750 soldiers about 20 miles away.
7. Very, depending on which group it is that attacks it'll be the 20 defenders trying to fight between 100-200 Coyles Raiders.

Here is something else to consider.
#8. What if any psychic or magic users or magic gear are present in the village (and the Raiders) that might be viable?

If the Village has a Water Warlock for example (ignoring level for the moment) they have (potential) access to "Create Fog", "Purple Mist", "Cloud of Steam", "Fog of Fear", "Sheet of Ice", "Hail", "Wall of Ice", "Whirlpool" (if raiders come by sea), "Hurricane", "Tidal Wave", etc.

Or if they have access to Wards (Wizard Invocation Spell or Diabolist), they could lay down Ward "Land mines" to hem in attackers, or construct traps to be triggered by psychic or magic action (on part of the defenders, ex: TK instead of a tripwire to active trap)

Maybe their fishing nets are enchanted to make fishing easier, which might have some application to town defense. Ex: A Paralysis net would seem to have benefit for both fishing and defense or an indestructible net (raiders could not cut themselves free, and if employed like the Ewok net in RotJ where they are now hanging in the air) or a Teleport Net (its prey gets teleported into a holding area), etc.
RavenStarver
Explorer

ShadowLogan wrote:
RavenStarver wrote:

2. How good are they

Here is something else to consider.
#8. What if any psychic or magic users or magic gear are present in the village (and the Raiders) that might be viable?

If the Village has a Water Warlock for example (ignoring level for the moment) they have (potential) access to "Create Fog", "Purple Mist", "Cloud of Steam", "Fog of Fear", "Sheet of Ice", "Hail", "Wall of Ice", "Whirlpool" (if raiders come by sea), "Hurricane", "Tidal Wave", etc.

Or if they have access to Wards (Wizard Invocation Spell or Diabolist), they could lay down Ward "Land mines" to hem in attackers, or construct traps to be triggered by psychic or magic action (on part of the defenders, ex: TK instead of a tripwire to active trap)

Maybe their fishing nets are enchanted to make fishing easier, which might have some application to town defense. Ex: A Paralysis net would seem to have benefit for both fishing and defense or an indestructible net (raiders could not cut themselves free, and if employed like the Ewok net in RotJ where they are now hanging in the air) or a Teleport Net (its prey gets teleported into a holding area), etc.

Actually so far it has been very low magic, there's no spell caster in the party and I haven't had them run into any so far. Couple psionic characters, no spell casters.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

As I see it your villagers have numbers on their side, but you better determine how many are non-combatant woman and children not likely to have any combat prowess, and assuming the attackers will not strike from the sea, these people are likely to take to the boats for safety during the attack. Alternatively if things go badly, the fishing boats may be the best means of escape for survivors.

Most of your villagers would fall into the vagabond / peasant or farmer OCC, giving them H2H basic and 2 WPs and athletics as things that would be most important in calculating their average stats. As this is a fishing village they are likely going to have WP spear and or WP net and be armed with harpoons and nets used on their fishing boats. I would also likely have some trained in WP Staff blunt or knife as these are simple, common weapons they are likely to have access to or be able to make quickly. If any are farmers rather than fishermen, substitute WP Forked weapons for spear or net and arm them with a pitch fork rather than harpoon.
Of course anyone capable of using a bow (any hunters in the village?) will be an indispensable member of the defenders.

Can your defenders position logs/rocks or boulders above on the cliff to roll or hurl down on the attackers? It may temporarily block the road out, but could be a useful defensive tactic.

Things to think about from the attackers: Will the raiding coyles send any scouts to observe the village before making the attack? Would they have a strike force attempt to sneak down the cliffs (climbing or by rope) likely at night to cause trouble. Think setting roofs on fire, sabotaging boats, stealing or destroying weapons, poisoning or otherwise destroying food/water supplies or in conjunction with the main assault, ensuring the gate on the walls is wide open. Maybe they prepare a battering ram to take out the gate (could be a dramatic moment for the PC's to try and rally defenders to brace the gate / take out the ram).

Also what is the Coyles' goal? What defines their success or failure of the raid? Are they there for loot, captives (Coyle/Wolven females for their troops perhaps), territory (do they want the villagers to pay them off), or revenge for some slight of honor or attack by the PC? Basically do they want to rape, kill, pillage or burn (and eat the babies because you know the prejudice against canine races in PF) or some combination of those options? How much in wounded and dead of their forces will cause them to retreat 1/4, 1/2, or more? Think about how stubborn they are, and how likely they are to be frustrated if their initial attacks fail.

Hope this helps.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
RavenStarver
Explorer

J_cobbers wrote:As I see it your villagers have numbers on their side, but you better determine how many are non-combatant woman and children not likely to have any combat prowess, and assuming the attackers will not strike from the sea, these people are likely to take to the boats for safety during the attack. Alternatively if things go badly, the fishing boats may be the best means of escape for survivors.

Most of your villagers would fall into the vagabond / peasant or farmer OCC, giving them H2H basic and 2 WPs and athletics as things that would be most important in calculating their average stats. As this is a fishing village they are likely going to have WP spear and or WP net and be armed with harpoons and nets used on their fishing boats. I would also likely have some trained in WP Staff blunt or knife as these are simple, common weapons they are likely to have access to or be able to make quickly. If any are farmers rather than fishermen, substitute WP Forked weapons for spear or net and arm them with a pitch fork rather than harpoon.
Of course anyone capable of using a bow (any hunters in the village?) will be an indispensable member of the defenders.

Can your defenders position logs/rocks or boulders above on the cliff to roll or hurl down on the attackers? It may temporarily block the road out, but could be a useful defensive tactic.

Things to think about from the attackers: Will the raiding coyles send any scouts to observe the village before making the attack? Would they have a strike force attempt to sneak down the cliffs (climbing or by rope) likely at night to cause trouble. Think setting roofs on fire, sabotaging boats, stealing or destroying weapons, poisoning or otherwise destroying food/water supplies or in conjunction with the main assault, ensuring the gate on the walls is wide open. Maybe they prepare a battering ram to take out the gate (could be a dramatic moment for the PC's to try and rally defenders to brace the gate / take out the ram).

Also what is the Coyles' goal? What defines their success or failure of the raid? Are they there for loot, captives (Coyle/Wolven females for their troops perhaps), territory (do they want the villagers to pay them off), or revenge for some slight of honor or attack by the PC? Basically do they want to rape, kill, pillage or burn (and eat the babies because you know the prejudice against canine races in PF) or some combination of those options? How much in wounded and dead of their forces will cause them to retreat 1/4, 1/2, or more? Think about how stubborn they are, and how likely they are to be frustrated if their initial attacks fail.

Hope this helps.

It'll depend on the parties actions over the next couple sessions. The Wolfen Knight just took over one of the tribes after killing their chief in single combat, and intends to turn them into a mercenary company. So slighted "honor" could certainly be an angle.
Spoiler:
There's also a Wolfen raider north of the town with strange powers who's goal currently seems to be anarchy and destruction of all the settlements.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

Anther thought, is how many Veterans do you have, That might be to old to fight, or have some form of disablaty. they wouldn't really be able to help in the fighting. by they might be able to help with training and planing for a defiance. also some of them Might still have there Arms and Armor, that maybe of use by the fighters. Is fishing the only agriculture going on in the area? there is almost surely at least a wood cutter for fire wood if not lumber cutting going on. as well as a stone mansion if not a Querying of stone going on as well, and maybe mining and think of the tools these laborers would have Pick axes, Woodsmen Axes, Carpenters hammers and axes, sledge hammers, Scythes, and Flails (for thrashing wheat) come to mind. many of those tools are quite useful as weapons. also if there is any hunting goring on so its reasonable to assume there would be varies types of Bow, and things like Boar spears, and slings
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”