Changling shape changing

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Changling shape changing

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I know that a changling that loses its arm can't regrow or assume another guise with two arms. However, could it work the opposite way? I.e. could the changling assume a form without an appendage, be it arm/leg, hand/foot or digit? Could it assume the form of a body with no head?

-Vek
"I'm assuming a humanoid form with no back is out of the question."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Changling shape changing

Unread post by eliakon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I know that a changling that loses its arm can't regrow or assume another guise with two arms. However, could it work the opposite way? I.e. could the changling assume a form without an appendage, be it arm/leg, hand/foot or digit? Could it assume the form of a body with no head?

-Vek

My go to answer would be "no"
The theory being that if you could shift around limbs like that then there would be no reason that losing a limb should be a hindrance...
My gut feeling is that you are stuck with the same number of limbs in each form.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:
Veknironth wrote:Well, I know that a changling that loses its arm can't regrow or assume another guise with two arms. However, could it work the opposite way? I.e. could the changling assume a form without an appendage, be it arm/leg, hand/foot or digit? Could it assume the form of a body with no head?

-Vek

My go to answer would be "no"
The theory being that if you could shift around limbs like that then there would be no reason that losing a limb should be a hindrance...
My gut feeling is that you are stuck with the same number of limbs in each form.

I agree with Eliakon. Shrink/Enlarge limbs, change their colour but not add or remove.
However if someone wanted to try to transform into something without a head I'd give them a %5 chance to Darwin themselves out of the gene pool :lol:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

-Vek

Palladium Fantasy 2E Page 309 "This means the creature cannot temporarily eliminate one limb if the person being imitating has lost a limb." That is just before the line about not being able regrow limbs.

So no a Changling could not assume a form w/o an appendage/limb. They might be able to handle a partial limb (GM call) if proportions allow for it. Ex. a Troll with a "stub" arm appropriate to a Gnome/Dwarf to pass it off (with assistance), though it would have full motion abilities and be more like a deformity upon closer inspection.

The main restriction is that the shape still has to be humanoid, so if you can find a humanoid in PF (I can think of one in Rifts SA1) that doesn't have a head you might be able to make a case or if you work out how the Changling could shift to "minimize" its head to appear non-existant and as a member of the species in question (bulked up shoulders?).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd argue yes, though it's less convincing. A changeling who wants to hide that it has an arm can put it under the skin of the side, though it will look weird if you see them without clothes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Isn't there a Changeling Metamorph RCC in one of the Rifters? Just thought it might help answer the question in a different light.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Marcethus wrote:Isn't there a Changeling Metamorph RCC in one of the Rifters? Just thought it might help answer the question in a different light.

Rifter 10, and they still retain a lot of the core limitations of Changelings.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Marcethus wrote:Isn't there a Changeling Metamorph RCC in one of the Rifters? Just thought it might help answer the question in a different light.

Yeah, I wrote it AGES ago.

Basically, they don't change the limitations of changelings, they just let changelings do things that might usually be considered beyond their healing abilities... like meditate to heal themselves via shapechanging, or make severe modifications to their biology.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I probably remembered them because I was looking through Rifter 10 recently for things useful to the Nightbane Game I am working on and ran across it in flipping through.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”