Could an alchemist use the astral plane to teach?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Could an alchemist use the astral plane to teach?

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Could an alchemist use the astral plane to teach things or any mage or psychic for that matter? As long as there was a 4 or 5 stone guardians, and a circle of protection verses spirits, demons, and the like. Maybe a tiger beast summoned to prevent the bodies from being possessed?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Could an alchemist use the astral plane to teach?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the Alchemist had a (or pair of) magic item(s) that inflicted something like astral projection on the other (or the other had AP already), yes, for knowledge learning. I would have to look up the particulars in the NB:BTS book. However, in (at least one of) the AP power text it says that the psychic will have the same amount of ISP when they return as when they left. I don't know how this plays with the text in the NB:BTS book that says that the chars can have weeks long adventures during the short time they were away from their bodies while in the astral plane.
So I would say that the GM of the game would decide if spell learning was possible in the AP.

The Sanctuary spell(L15), the Sanctum spell (L13) a (many) protection circle(s) could be used to protect the travelers bodies.
Or maybe a common magic variant of the Chi magic "ward body" spell.

-----
not directed as anyone who already knows….
Why look in the NB:Between the Shadows book? some might ask…cause that is where the most descriptive text about the AP is.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Nightbane's Between the Shadows is the ultimate source on the Astral Plane. Like Drew says. I don't see why any mage with Astral Projection, not just an alchemist, could teach another mage a spell as long as they both had astral projection. As far as psychics go. I didn't think psionics could be taught. But I could see this being used not just for spells but for a way to cut down the time needed to learn certain skills as well.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

But doesnt spell learning take quite some time?
Like much much longer than a cast of the spell or use of the psi power?
If you dimensionally teleporting into the astral plane it wouldnt be a problem but if your going via the spell of psi power you might not not have enoigh time, also your silver imbilicle cord would be exposed for quite a long long time.
But the actual act of learning seems fine.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

there is a time differential between the physical and the outer astral plane that lets people have weeks long adventures within the duration of the spell and power
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Marcethus
Champion

1 minute in the physical world is 1 week in the Outer Plane of the Astral Plane. And IIRC I think the basic learning time is like 1 day per level of the spell to be learned. I don't recall where I read that and I may be wrong on it.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Forgot about the time difference, so in that case yeah you could teach a spell, i dont see why not.
Marcethus
Champion

If your not using it for the time difference then why bother with the Astral Plane at all for teaching someone?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Alchemist casts dimensional portal and you both go in physically and he teaches you the spell in a prepared safe zone in the astral plane and comes back out.

Can't see why not, would be terribly expensive but if you have to have that there spell right here and right now its probably the easiest way.
Marcethus
Champion

I could see an alchemist knowing the spell Astral Portal. Its a level 7 spell and much cheaper in cost than D-Portal.
pblackcrow
Champion

Hell, I could see alchemists with a "small" pocket dimensional realm or an astral realm, etc.

I know my PC's contact in the International Brother of Magic has or has access to a nice 500 acres estate dimensional realm, either way...It's rather interesting. In the conglomeration of modern-day'ish SDC world game that Shawn's running for a few of the old gang on Oovoo. Though, I'm not sure how the manor house could have wi-fi and it in a realm of it's own, with different time laws. Unless the grandfather clock with the three faces is acting as a window. Who knows?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Marcethus wrote:I could see an alchemist knowing the spell Astral Portal. Its a level 7 spell and much cheaper in cost than D-Portal.

I don't see just any mage knowing D-portal….even less Astral Portal. Even Alchemists.

However, after saying that, If the Alchemist is actually active in an Astral School I can see them more apt to have the AP spell.
Marcethus
Champion

Given the Palladium world I see your point. Though Rifter 9 does have an interesting view on Astral Lords and Mages in other Settings than NB and if Astral Lords and Mages existed on PF as native to that world. It would have some interesting applications and implications.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Marcethus wrote:If your not using it for the time difference then why bother with the Astral Plane at all for teaching someone?

Possibly (depending on features) stuff like security, not aging or having to eat while there, privacy, exclusive access to a ley line or nexus, astral assistants...
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

interesting thought.

oh, and let's just say, that the pocket dimension is "on Orion's belt"...get me?
Marcethus
Champion

:lol: don't you mean his collar?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SH was quoting the spoken line from the movie.
Marcethus
Champion

I am well aware of that. And it was why I made the comment I did.
pblackcrow
Champion

LOL!!! Oh...The orgonite accumulator/paperweight thingy?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

pblackcrow wrote:LOL!!! Oh...The orgonite accumulator/paperweight thingy?

Looked that up cause I didn't reconize it. Sort of thinking it was from Ghostbusters….or would have some sort fo GB reference but it didn't.

The closest thing in PB magic canon (that a character could carrying around on their person) is the PPE/Chi accumulator spines that can be built into a Vajra.
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Looked that up cause I didn't reconize it. Sort of thinking it was from Ghostbusters….or would have some sort fo GB reference but it didn't.

The closest thing in PB magic canon (that a character could carrying around on their person) is the PPE/Chi accumulator spines that can be built into a Vajra.

HUH?! Ach, no. This is nothing cannon, or another movie reference. It's a reference to something in the game I am in. Micheal, my contact/adviser with IBM has this cool, yet wacky organite accumulator on his desk, with planets that actually rotate...No, it can't be that. Because it has 2 suns. feeding off of each other.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

pblackcrow wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

HUH?! Ach, no. This is nothing cannon, or another movie reference. It's a reference to something in the game I am in. Micheal, my contact/adviser with IBM has this cool, yet wacky organite accumulator on his desk, with planets that actually rotate...No, it can't be that. Because it has 2 suns. feeding off of each other.

Did you even read what I said? Did you pay attention to the way I said what I said?

Yes, I understand in the real world it is just a load of bunk.
Marcethus
Champion

I thought that ShadowHawk's comment on Orion's belt was a movie reference that I recognized hence my comment about the Collar.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Marcethus wrote:I thought that ShadowHawk's comment on Orion's belt was a movie reference that I recognized hence my comment about the Collar.

You did not get that wrong. It was a MIB 1 ref. to "The Galaxy" marble.

That unless both of us were wrong.
Marcethus
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Marcethus wrote:I thought that ShadowHawk's comment on Orion's belt was a movie reference that I recognized hence my comment about the Collar.

You did not get that wrong. It was a MIB 1 ref. to "The Galaxy" marble.

That unless both of us were wrong.

I thought so.
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yes, I understand in the real world it is just a load of bunk.

OR IS IT? Drew, I think you should know that I am a reiki master, crystal healer, etc. I use orgone generators.

In gaming terms, if anything, they are used to increase healing factor and/or either doubles or triples the PPE recovery factor time. At least that would be how I would interpret them. But feel free to put your own interpretation on them.

Sorry, I had to leave before I had a chance to finish...probably, in my haste I hit submit in stead of save.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

no, you're right. that's not it...that was something else entirely. Micheal has never seen it's container. that ain't his "realm". he is aloud to use it. anyone with a key to it can access it. hints why he asked you to return yours.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”