Half-Moon Island...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Half-Moon Island...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

This tiny island lies in the Inland Sea, just off the coast of the border between the Old Kingdom and the Western Empire. From various maps, we know that it was Elven-held at least up until the diaspora 4000 years ago ... And is still considered to be a part of the OK.

A search for further material brings up nothing... But I just wanted to doublecheck that this island is currently undeveloped in the game, yes?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Half-Moon Island...

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Its in Western Empire book p151. has a small city named "Crescent City"
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Braden Campbell

Oooo. Nice catch, mate. Thanks.

See, I'm looking for a little corner of the Palladium World that's relatively blank; a place to start a campaign for my daughter and a few of her friends. Also, being an island keeps the action somewhat contained. Still, this could become a jumping off point into the Western Empire, which could be good.
Braden, GMPhD

Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't know if it's in the books, but I believe the Science Ninja Team operates from below said island.

-Vek
"Gatchaman!"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

G-Force ftw

The Floenry Isles are pretty quiet except they have pirates.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the one just south of Phi?

no idea about what books might have stuff on it, but looking at the map, i'd imagine it would end up as a trade center for the Western Empire, the Wolfen tribes of the northern wilderness, and the various communities in the old Kingdom. (and whatever is on Phi and Lopan)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Braden Campbell

We can glean a few things about it (mostly by the maps found in Library of Bletherad)

* it's been unconnected from the mainland for at least 10,000 years (so, isolated, unique biosphere?)
* it was in Elven hands all throughout the War Against the Dwarves
* it never had a "city" built on it
* when the Western Empire showed up three years ago, it was "uninhabited" (Western Empire, 151)
* its roughly 50 miles long and 30 miles across

... and that's about it. Plenty of blank space and unanswered questions to hang a series of adventures on. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Braden Campbell wrote:We can glean a few things about it (mostly by the maps found in Library of Bletherad)

* it's been unconnected from the mainland for at least 10,000 years (so, isolated, unique biosphere?)

sounds like you could draw some inspiration from other isolated ecologies..
like Socotra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEEqHnu ... re=related
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socotra
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/09 ... earth.html

or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_(island)

for animal and plant life, consider looking at the stuff that inhabits the surrounding areas, and mixing them together, perhaps with some Insular dwarfism and Island Gigantism applied. (in short, large animals shrink and small ones get big) plus maybe mixing in some of the weirder stuff from the places mentioned above.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Braden Campbell

I read about Socotra earlier today, and, it had me at "dragon blood trees"...
Braden, GMPhD

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Braden Campbell wrote:Oooo. Nice catch, mate. Thanks.

See, I'm looking for a little corner of the Palladium World that's relatively blank; a place to start a campaign for my daughter and a few of her friends. Also, being an island keeps the action somewhat contained. Still, this could become a jumping off point into the Western Empire, which could be good.

Another option, which might be fun if your daughters friends are all girls? Stick them on Lemuria, the Island of Women. Go with the matriarchal monoculture, and let them play around in that for a while. While it's relatively developed, there's still a lot to be done, while keeping the action relatively contained.

You might also look in the Old Kingdom Mountains... an isolated valley up there could be beset by all sorts of monsters, with limited trade with either the East, the West, or Timiro.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Braden Campbell

The party so far consists of:
* a male Elf Rogue
* a female human Priestess of Dragonwright
* a female human Palladin (my daughter) ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Then I'd avoid Lemuria... it's more fun if everyone is a woman, or is at least down to play in the matriarchy.

I'd lean towards my Old Kingdom Mountains suggestion, in that case. Perhaps a place that, thousands of years ago, was ruled by Elves with their human servants but has, since the war, somewhat slid, with the relatively fecund humans taking the reigns and the elves fading in influence, though they still control a lot of money and knowledge. The above-ground, mainland setting would let the Palladin's horseback skills shine, and you could happily make your own little niche culture for the couple thousand humans and the couple hundred elves who live in your valley.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i don't know.. an island with little offical info is a great way to get started. you can build up the local society and politics to suit your adventure, rather than the other way round, and being such a blank slate you can have some real fun with world building the locations, local threats, and potential metaplots.

and with an island you have more freedom to bring the rest of the PFRPG world to the players. any culture that borders the central sea could easily be justified as having some traders/colonists/pirates.etc showing up, if not there already. and when the stories outgrow the island, they can just hop a boat and go elsewhere. (and even if they do, the island could become the hub for a world-spanning series of adventures)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Braden Campbell wrote:This tiny island lies in the Inland Sea, just off the coast of the border between the Old Kingdom and the Western Empire. From various maps, we know that it was Elven-held at least up until the diaspora 4000 years ago ... And is still considered to be a part of the OK.

A search for further material brings up nothing... But I just wanted to doublecheck that this island is currently undeveloped in the game, yes?

Half Moon island will be slightly touched on the upcoming Phi book (its only
briefly mentioned in Lopan). I can also tell you that Will (Hot Rod) has another
awesome map of the Inland Sea coming up that will you have a nice detailed picture
of all the islands in the area, including many of the tiny little ones between Strait of
Thunder and Phi.
Braden Campbell

I've already been noting several places of interest (ie. Adventure hooks) on the island. In addition to Crescent City there are:

- two ancient Elven watch towers, one on the north coast & the other one the south
- the remains of an encampment from Western Empire sailors who were marooned ther 415 years ago following the failed invasion of Phi & Lopan
- a long-forgotten temple of Dragonwright deep in the arid interior of the island
- multiple caves

I'm also generating a few noteworthy people and buildings for Crescent City as well.
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Sounds like it's going to be a fun place for your players.
Braden Campbell

I may even Rifter it up if things go well...
Braden, GMPhD

Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Braden Campbell wrote:I may even Rifter it up if things go well...

Sounds cool Branden. I like the idea of Western Empire guys being marrooned there. It
goes well with what actually happened to the Imperial Fleet :twisted:
Braden Campbell

Heh, thanks.

What I have so far is that they attacked Phi, failed, and the boats that didn't have their crews eaten by sharks began to limp back home. While many of the ships were intact enough to make it back to the Western Empire, at least one of the damaged ones sank - a few survivors managed to make it to shore. They established a camp and lit signal fires, but no one came back to save them. Soon, starvation and insanity began to set in. The sailors began to break into factions and set traps for their enemies. One of the crewman declared himself to be "King of Half-Moon". Violence erupted. Within a few years, the castaways were dead and the island was once again uninhabited.

Fast forward 415 years, and the rumour around Crescent City is that the ghosts of those men still wander the island, seeking revenge on the Imperials who left them to die. Many of their boobytraps also remain, just waiting for some unfortunate soul to accidentally trigger them...
Braden, GMPhD

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Sounds very intriguing and interesting as well.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Braden Campbell wrote:Oooo. Nice catch, mate. Thanks.

Easy to fix. There are these islands that are uncharted West of the Western Empire. Don't have my book right now.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Also, there are the islands at the edge of the world.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Bronn
D-Bee

Unread post by Bronn »

Yes, I'd welcome any Rifter content that is devoted to Palladium Fantasy. Far too much Rifts in it.

Since the last post was months ago, I hope the game is going well!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”