They could have done so much...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

They could have done so much...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I am wanting feedback about a game I did last night...to determine if i was being too hard on my players. First some back story...It is winter, and a band of 50 orcs, 20 Kobalts, and 40 goblins, with 3 repeating and quick firing trebuchets, lead by a disgraced elven wizard has taken one of the newest towns under the fiefdom lord's protection, and had a keep in it, it's in the borderlands. The players are each playing 4 faeries...who serve as the lord's spies, saboteurs, etc. Now, I sent them them to spy and do recon which they did without a problem. But I also sent them in to gum up the works before the offencive strikes, which the players were to be in charge of, and we are also talking complete miniature set-up.

So, before I ask what you would have done, let me go back and give you the set up again. Basically, the lord didn't want his men out in the bitter winter air for very long. So, he sends in the fae to first spy and then sends them back to sabotage, and gave them a 4 hour time frame to do it in...the players would have started the attack at dawn.

What would you have done to sabotage this operation, in 4 hours, before the offencive started? Mind you, you each have 4 faeries, and a have an understanding of where things are from your spying mission.

One more tidbit of info that you know...the townspeople, knights, and solders are in the keep's dungeons.

Do not read the spoiler until after you have responded to the above question.
Spoiler:
There is so much they could have done, and not drawn attention to themselves. But they chose to try to dismantle the trebuchets. Mind you, not cut on the cords, set fire to one or all of them, or things like that. But try to dismantle it from the wheels up. The wizard is not dumb, he had put mind mages who had the power to see the invisible, sense magic, and presence sense to guard the trebuchets. Yes, they had fallen asleep, until the faeries started hammering.

Technically, they were captured by telekinesis, and put into a telekinetic force field bubble...And knew that they had screwed the pooch, as it were. Kobalt mind mages...What really gets me is the fact that they made little to no effort to get out or fight back with magic. I figured they would do something when they were being rounded up, but no. They had options...They chose to give up.

Now, I don't want to play with them again after they accused me of being a hardass GM out to sabotage them there efforts. No, just demand they act with logic, and they knew the 4 kobalt in studded armor were asleep. That was a major clue.

I don't feel the game would have been a loss if they had tried to fight back. They were not new to the game or the RCC faerie class. I try to take myself out of the players jobs as much as possible. They are in charge of their actions, not me.
Last edited by pblackcrow on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: They could have done so much...

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Without knowing the specific type of Faeries involved (and what gear they might have), but in general:
-The Faerie's Dance for 6PPE, (50o+20k+40g+3e=)113*6=678PPE total (assuming each of the 113 targets fails the saving throw), which can be divided up among 4 faeries per player (which IINM 4 Faeries should be able to handle no problem, never mind 4 per player).
-The Faerie Rings & The Faeries' Dance, turn their camp into a Faerie Ring site and initiate the Dance! Could also activate the Enchanted Slumber.
-different Faerie races have different magical abilities, some of which could be applied in various ways to muck things up (Grow Plants and Animate Plants for ex, or Befuddle or Blinding Flash or Wind Rush)

They could engage in normal Faerie mischief pranks to (hiding items for ex).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yeah, it sounds like they chose an absolutely horrible plan, especially given the nature of faerie magic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
pblackcrow
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:Without knowing the specific type of Faeries involved (and what gear they might have), but in general:
-The Faerie's Dance for 6PPE, (50o+20k+40g+3e=)113*6=678PPE total (assuming each of the 113 targets fails the saving throw), which can be divided up among 4 faeries per player (which IINM 4 Faeries should be able to handle no problem, never mind 4 per player).
-The Faerie Rings & The Faeries' Dance, turn their camp into a Faerie Ring site and initiate the Dance! Could also activate the Enchanted Slumber.
-different Faerie races have different magical abilities, some of which could be applied in various ways to muck things up (Grow Plants and Animate Plants for ex, or Befuddle or Blinding Flash or Wind Rush)

They could engage in normal Faerie mischief pranks to (hiding items for ex).

Uh, sorry...1 elven wizard, 3 trebuchets. I put the 3 in the wrong place when I did the corrections. Um, you're choice of any faerie for your 4. But remember, they aren't in a camp, they are in a small town with a keep in the middle of it. The wizard has already sent the men in to loot and catch any stragglers in the town that may have escaped initial notice already. And long story short, The original lord of the keep was wizard who dispatched a magic pigeon when the siege began, actually he dispatched 8. 7 were captured by the elven wizard's demonic familiar, only one made it to it's target. The lord of the keep is now dead...Vendetta paid, blood oath satisfied.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Mark Hall wrote:Yeah, it sounds like they chose an absolutely horrible plan, especially given the nature of faerie magic.

Yeah, it kind of seems like they didn't understand what fairies are capable of doing.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

first off, excellent idea for a game.

The better question is, what wouldn't I do?

man oh man, I'd do so much stuff. we're talking poring glue into scabbards, cut strings partly through on bows and siege weaponry, saw pikes and spears with raiser wires, glue burs to saddles, drop bees hive down into the fire places, put faerie food and beverages into the stew pots and various other winter plants and roots, paint on the backs of the armor mean little pictagrams, etc.

before the attack begins I would end by causing the troops to do the faerie dance for 30 minutes, in a snow storm that I have caused, while one of them frees the prisoners!

==========================================================

THEY DID WHAT??? OH HELL NO! leave it to players...they ruined a great and fun scenario!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

The Beast wrote:Yeah, it kind of seems like they didn't understand what fairies are capable of doing.

or they just wanted someone to blame for their foolish plan.
pblackcrow
Champion

ShadowHawk wrote:
The Beast wrote:Yeah, it kind of seems like they didn't understand what fairies are capable of doing.

No Shawn, the plan wasn't foolish...Just a poorly thought through. But 7 players raising hell with me over a plan gone wrong and giving up on the characters? I do not understand it.

Oh well, more fuel to the fire to moving to Los Angeles, in August. I am not getting many clients for reiki or the 17 other things I do. But what do you expect from the bible belt buckle that is East TN?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I am wanting feedback about a game I did last night...to determine if i was being too hard on my players...

No you where not hard on the players based on the information provided. Hammering makes noise, so unless they thought they could make short work of the 3 trebuchets before the guards woke up... it was bound to fail without some additional support/lookouts. Now the part about being captured by TK, that might be boarder line (without known specifics). Though they did have options once captured from their spell inventory (even w/o getting into specific races). 28 Faeries (IINM) casting Faerie Dance, I feel sorry for those guards (it would be pretty improbable to roll Save vs Magic that many times in a row), which could have let them out.

As Shadowhawk suggested, I'd have them doing similar actions. Faeries are supposed to be pranksters, so they should know how to engage in stealth to setup their pranks/sabotage. Activities that create lots of noise to setup aren't stealthy.

I would add:

We can't forget about their magic arrows, which could be employed in a variety of ways:
-as an opening salvo when the attack happens, they can potentially take out ~25% of the force (in your game session) if they don't make their saving throws and depending on the type of arrow. If multiple volleys can happen...
-those arrows could have been used to disable various soldiers temporarily, and then more long lasting (physical bonds) so they could slowly have caused attrition and even opened up weakness in the defense of the captured village/keep

The Faeries could also detail a team to transfer weapons/keys/tools to prisoners so they can effect their own escape (maybe give them an idea on when to make their move) so that the Elven Wizard's forces have to split their attention.

They could also target any soldiers that are sleeping by tieing them down, disabling locks and hinges so they don't work even if they did manage to get free if they are in buildings.

They might have also been able to create a faerie ring around the trebuchet location(s). Though the actual creation process might or might not be possible (GM's call). It depends on how fast they can build one, and if the trebuchet location is viable.

They could target them with various Faerie foods, possibly even look for mass distribution of Mushroom Tonic or other drinks that can be dispensed while the targets sleep. Different drinks probably have different amounts to be effective, and they have varying effects. I'd look at the Mushroom Tonic (small dose) since you essentially shrink them down to Faerie size for at least an hour, so if distributed at the right time and to enough targets they would be essentially useless (being 6" tall in the middle of winter, without clothes that fit, and weapons likely being ineffective) in the defense of the captured village.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

pblackcrow wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

No Shawn, the plan wasn't foolish...Just a poorly thought through. But 7 players raising hell with me over a plan gone wrong and giving up on the characters? I do not understand it.

Oh well, more fuel to the fire to moving to Los Angeles, in August. I am not getting many clients for reiki or the 17 other things I do. But what do you expect from the bible belt buckle that is East TN?

true, maybe some deep slumber arrows for the guards 1st. then simply cut the ropes partly into.

by the way Shannon you truly are going to love it out here! you can earn 75-175 a session. and with everything you do, um DAMN! I know, money isn't anywhere on your list of main reasons. but, you have to admit, it is a nice little bonus. and with everything that you've been through in TN, you definitely deserve it, man. gtg or I'll be late.
pblackcrow
Champion

ShadowHawk wrote: true, maybe some deep slumber arrows for the guards 1st. then simply cut the ropes partly into.

by the way Shannon you truly are going to love it out here! you can earn 75-175 a session. and with everything you do, um DAMN! I know, money isn't anywhere on your list of main reasons. but, you have to admit, it is a nice little bonus. and with everything that you've been through in TN, you definitely deserve it, man. gtg or I'll be late.

That would have made a lot more sense then what they tried.

Though, I do confess, the money I can make was a factor in me desiding to move there. However, you are quite correct in that it is not even close to the top reasons.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”