Knowing if someone used a psionic/spell on you

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

Knowing if someone used a psionic/spell on you

Unread post by RavenStarver »

I'm curious because I remember seeing something on this but I can't find it now.
I'm wondering because I've got a group of these elite assassin/scout/spies, who use a little magic and psionic power to make themselves really dangerous. But, say one throws Telepathy to scan a party member, would they know? If they fail the save I'd assume not, but we've got a minor psionic and a Mind Mage so they might catch on if somethings up.
The main psionic powers in question are See Aura and Telepathy. Though any information would be greatly appreciated. :?
RavenStarver
Explorer

Re: Knowing if someone used a psionic/spell on you

Anybody? This is actually crucial to my game this weekend
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

If you get a save
I play it that if its an attack they feel an odd slightly disorienting pressure
if its seeking/scrying/detecting a tingle or hair stands on end

If you don't get a save
only if they have psionics and then as above

also if they have psionics I give them a small (about %5 per level) of picking the originating direction and general range (short medium and long)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Telepathy in particular only offers a save if the victim has reason to suspect they are having their mind read. So in the case of that power, I would say that the target does not normally notice it.

I've had characters roll Prowl to try and cast spells "stealthily," without being noticed. But yeah, if if the target gets a save then if they succeed in the save they probably notice something, but may not know what. If the target fails the save I wouldn't have them notice anything at all about it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

To block you aura from being seen or sensed the subject needs to have a mind block in place. However, this in turn would tell the psion or mage something about the char. That it has Mind block and is using it for some reason.

No, a subject would not sense their Aura from being seen or sensed. Both the spell and psionic power are passive in nature.

Edit
-------
I've been influenced by the novels I've read and I have a few house rules.
--all psions are telepathically sensitive to some point, and can receive telepathic projections.
--if you say your char is thinking something then you are saying that they are thinking it loudly. As such the telepathically sensitive can "hear" those "loud" thoughts.
--Telepaths (they have the telepathy power) can project and read thoughts at a distance.
--in a society of telepaths/psychics, it is not rude to talk about someone in front of that person. Because that person will know what you feel/think anyway.

Reference: Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels and the Mutant Season series.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed May 25, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Dude, you've GOT to allow more than 2 hours in the middle of the night to answer questions.

However, I steal a bit from 3.x D&D on this... if you succeed at a saving throw, you know that you succeeded on a saving throw, and might have an inkling of what you saved against. If you fail a saving throw, you do not know that you failed a saving throw (though it might be somewhat obvious if the save was against a fireball or something).

Now, See Aura doesn't have a saving throw... it's just looking at someone through different "lenses", as it were. Telepathy only has a saving throw if you're trying to defend against it, so it's less of an issue.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RavenStarver
Explorer

Mark Hall wrote:Dude, you've GOT to allow more than 2 hours in the middle of the night to answer questions.

However, I steal a bit from 3.x D&D on this... if you succeed at a saving throw, you know that you succeeded on a saving throw, and might have an inkling of what you saved against. If you fail a saving throw, you do not know that you failed a saving throw (though it might be somewhat obvious if the save was against a fireball or something).

Now, See Aura doesn't have a saving throw... it's just looking at someone through different "lenses", as it were. Telepathy only has a saving throw if you're trying to defend against it, so it's less of an issue.

Really sorry about that. I was tired and had a crappy day at work.
That would make sense, they know something happened but not what.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Right. So, if the Mind mage you mentioned uses Biomanipulation: Pain on a target who saves, they'll feel a twinge of pain, but not enough to hinder them. If you save against Induce Sleep, you feel a wave of drowsiness, but one that's quickly shaken off.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

You don't unless.the ability mentions it or the victim has an ability to allow them to.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”