East Asian weapons in the Palladium world

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

East Asian weapons in the Palladium world

Unread post by Bones »

I'm trying to find if there are any prices for East Asian weapons in PFRPG. And also are there different stats for Kobold or Dwarven make weapons? Would they be more expensive because they are exotic weapons?
RockJock
Knight

Re: East Asian weapons in the Palladium world

Unread post by RockJock »

I would think Kobold and Dwarven quality would cost more along the lines for weapons in the main book. What sort of weapons are you talking? A short sword is still a short sword, the issue would be finding a craftsman to make the right shape for say a wakizashi as a custom job.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

Unread post by Bones »

Yeah. I need a couple wakizashi and a kusari-gama. I think it's generally accepted that The Land of the South Winds is the oriental section of the Palladium world. I was thinking of maybe just taking the prices for modern craftsmanship and giving them an equal price in gold for the Palladium world.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

A PF main book short sword is 40gp for a basic weapon. Add bonuses, or Kobold/Dwarven craftsmanship and it goes up.

The kusari-gama is in my mind, not that far off from something the various ball and chain weapons, so I would use goupillion flail as a basis, so call it 60 gold. That seems high based on the price of the short sword, but it is in the book.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Bones wrote:I'm trying to find if there are any prices for East Asian weapons in PFRPG. And also are there different stats for Kobold or Dwarven make weapons? Would they be more expensive because they are exotic weapons?

Wasn't there a Rifter Article about East Asian Weapons in PF RPG?

Anyway you could use the prices for known items in PF and another RPG line to establish a conversion rate if it has the known example and what you are looking for.

My understanding is that Kobold/Dwarven items have bonuses on top of the normal weapon, which results in higher cost and is described in the Main Book (2E). The K/D weapons aren't necessarily exotic by nature, but have a higher level of craftsmanship/quality that runs up the price.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There was a rifter article about oriental MA OCCs in the PF world. I don't remember which Rifter it's is located in off hand.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My take is that they would generally cost the same as their Western equivalents... a wakizashi isn't terribly different from a short sword or a saber in ways that would require a different gold value.

I'd also be inclined, however, to make them ancient, since they don't seem to be prevalent in the modern age.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Bones
Wanderer

Unread post by Bones »

Yeah there is an article in Rifter #27 with oriental O.C.C.s for PFRPG,but there's no weapons listed in there.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Bones wrote:Yeah. I need a couple wakizashi and a kusari-gama. I think it's generally accepted that The Land of the South Winds is the oriental section of the Palladium world. I was thinking of maybe just taking the prices for modern craftsmanship and giving them an equal price in gold for the Palladium world.

I fully agree. Except replace "it's generally accepted" with " there is dissension" and "oriental section" with "Indian section" (as in from India).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually the high sea's book has them using very south east asian watercraft, so "east asian" wouldn't be a bad guess. like most of the PFRPG locations, it is probably a mashup of different Real world cultures.

another possible approach to adding asian sources items to the game setting would be to have them be old Elvish designs from the times of the elf vs dwarf wars. certainly Asian weapons and armor have a certain 'exotic grace' that could be a hallmark of elvish items. using that approach, Katana's and the like could show up just about anywhere, as either heirlooms/artifacts or as new construction made by smiths that were taught/preserved the old knowledge. plus you could work in a line like "an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age" when describing it. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I figure you can do as Mark says and take the book equivalent and use that for the damage, but give it a different name. For the game mechanics, a sword X that does 2d6 damage isn't any different than sword Y that does 2d6 damage. If the PC wants to pay more to have the sword look different, go for it.

-Vek
"Same thing for guns, although the range and ammunition would also have to be similar."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

There is also a section in the HUGMG that lists the details about asian weapons. One of the details is price, however, they are listed in USD.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Just use the stats out of the compendium (Weapons Armor and Castles of the Orient) it on page 7.

Katana (Long Sword) - Damage: 2D6
Wakizashi (Short Sword) - Damage: 1D8+2

So just use the gold cost for the long and short sword (55gp and 40gp) you can adjust the cost for rarity if you want to.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Didn't the guy on the cover of the Western Empire book have some (ironically) eastern looking swords?
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Jerell wrote:Didn't the guy on the cover of the Western Empire book have some (ironically) eastern looking swords?

Depends on what one means by "eastern looking", as from what little detail we get in the cover, it could be either katanas, meiji era swords, a pair of these, or any weird/awesome hybrids of any of them.

Anyway, adding my "vote" for Weapons, Armor & Castles Of The Orient as reference material.
It was made for exactly this reason anyway... 8-)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

N&SS works as well
Katana - 2d6 (or 3d6 for superior made)
Wakazashi 1d8 (or 2d6 for top quality)
I let my players get the standard versions from the western empire

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”