Freeing someone from possessing force.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Freeing someone from possessing force.

Unread post by say652 »

As the most magical of realms in palladium I came here with the question.

A powerful Rune Blade has possessed a former ally turned traitor.
We were told to kill him because he is possessed by a Greatest Rune Blade.
What spell or combination of spells is required to rid the Elf of the dominating force???
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Freeing someone from possessing force.

Unread post by kiralon »

Hmm, id start with throwing it into mount doom

The Elf dominating force is what powers the weapon, no elf, no power. You might be able to hire an extremely powerful mind mage to mind wipe and rebuild, but that may or may not work depending on the dm.

I'd kill him, toss the rune weapon into mt dhoom, res your friend

(nuke em from orbit) its the only way to be sure
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, what happens if you separate said PC from the rune weapon? If the entity is in the blade, would distance or lack of touch make a difference? Otherwise, it seems that Exorcism via spell or psionic power is necessary. Or, if you can incapacitate the host body in some way the possessor might leave voluntarily.

-Vek
"Palladium Main Book page 186"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Veknironth wrote:Well, what happens if you separate said PC from the rune weapon? If the entity is in the blade, would distance or lack of touch make a difference? Otherwise, it seems that Exorcism via spell or psionic power is necessary. Or, if you can incapacitate the host body in some way the possessor might leave voluntarily.

-Vek
"Palladium Main Book page 186"

+1

Anti-Magic Cloud might also work if the Possession is considered to be magical in nature. Group Mind Block might also work for Psychic possession (though this would be a GM's call if it results in rolling for a save vs possession, but even then).

Protection Circle Superior that prevents Possession (GM call on what happens when a possessed entity enters), and Wonder [Power] Circle that does exorcisms (among other things).

I think to incapacitate the host it would have to look like a long term thing (death, suspended animation, aged, etc) and possibly be in a position to reverse it (like take the host to near death, then heal/restore/resurrect them) if you don't want the traitor to die.

You might be able to use hypnotic abilities (Charm, Hypnotic suggestion, etc) to coarse the entity into leaving. Or even draw it into the Astral Plane with others on the material plane taking action to protect/secure the target from further possession. (Might need to do additional research into determining how to break a link w/Rune item).
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So a few scrolls and some Zombitrons aren't going to be enough to save the Elves life.
I'd need and actual Mage and a Psychic, possibly,a Nega Psychic or two as well as an Anti Magic cloud.

Looks like euthanizing the rabid Elf is the only way.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Typically Exorcism should do it - that's pretty much what the power/spell is made for. The Rifts spell "Purge Other" would also work, though as I recall it gives the character a bonus to save. Some blades though can't have their posession reversed save by killing the character - Necrom, from the Adventures in the Northern Wilderness books, is one example of such a blade.

Pages 185 and 186 of the Palladium Fantasy 2nd Edition main book talk specifically about possession. Here's what the end of that article has to say:
Getting rid of a possessing force is extremely difficult. Wizards can only use the exorcism spell or ritual to rid a person of such monsters. Banishment, control, summon beings, and all the rest are ineffective. Of course, one can always try to talk the damned thing out, but that seldom works.

Psychic powers can be used to attack the entity itself, but will definitely provoke the creature to violence. A psychic healer can also use the power of exorcism against the possessing entity. The incapacitation of the host body through drugs or magic for long durations (1D6 months) may entice the entity to leave in search of a more fun body. Killing the host body will always set the entity free, but doesn't do much good for the victim.

Even it Palladium Fantasy, it seems your options are limited. Here's some other creative solutions you may wish to try:

• Hypnotic Suggestion on the possessing force to convince it to leave.
  • Summon and control a possessing entity and force it to take over the host, forcing out the current force. Then by your command once the offending weapon is removed force the possessing entity to release your victim.
  • Rifter 15 has some spells designed specifically to address Rune weapons, one of them may be useful.
  • The possession may be a side effect of the weapon, and might require a Remove Curse spell or ritual to be successful before an Exorcism could be used.
  • The gods have real power in Palladium Fantasy. You might be able to convince a Priest of Light or Darkness to use one of their miracles on your behalf.
  • Forget the priest - petition the god directly!
  • Kill the character, then resurrect them once the possessing force has retreated.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I'm a cyborg in Atlantis hunting a possessed Elf with a Greatest Rune Sword controlling him.
I do have Byzantine contacts and several magical trinkets, so it's looking like Toetagging the Elf is really my only option.

Feels like a left handed victory(Drow phrase meaning hollow or honorless Win)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:I'm a cyborg in Atlantis hunting a possessed Elf with a Greatest Rune Sword controlling him.
I do have Byzantine contacts and several magical trinkets, so it's looking like Toetagging the Elf is really my only option.

Feels like a left handed victory(Drow phrase meaning hollow or honorless Win)

If you're in Atlantis then you have access to all these options, and more. Why is killing him your only solution? What did you expect if none of the options presented were suitable for your needs or tastes?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I was hoping for a live capture option, to show my employer how awesome I am.
The old mage knew what he was talking about. He to referred to the Artifact weapon that you did also.
There's no way to keep the Elf alive.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, you could capture and incapacitate. The possessing force might be bored in a body that can't do anything.

I'm also not totally up on what will happen if the body is separated from the sword. If you throw the sword somewhere and take the Elf far from it, will the being still control the elf? That doesn't sound right to me.

-Vek
"Divide and conquer."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I can't touch the sword, and he escaped after releasing three raging dragons as a distraction.
Elf has got skills.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, you can't touch the sword with your bare hand, or even be in contact with something in contact with the sword?

Also, if this thing has access to raging dragons, you're better off befriending it.

-Vek
"dubious"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The problem really is if the rune sword has bonded with him (Which it sounds like it has because the weapons personality has taken over). Anti Magic Cloud won't stop the possession as its a) a rune weapon and b)probably a psionic thing anyway. To break a rune weapons bond (which is allowing the possession) you have to kill the wielder or destroy the rune weapon. I'd check the local sages/mages guild to see if the weapon is known and what can destroy it and maybe try that, but it sound like your opponent is really dangerous so that could be a hit miss affair. Unless he was a really close friend I'd gank him from a distance, drop the sword into an enchanted bag and erase your name off the bag so everything in it just disappears and resurrect the guy.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

We survived somehow. Got made to look like total chumps and the Elf/Sword guy escaped after stealing an entire Vault of magic items from Atlantis.

I honestly feel like I'm on Reno 911.

Can't touch the sword because that's how it dominates your mind. Not even full conversion cyborgs are immune.

I broke out the Paladin Steel Phase Borg upgrade went Full Retard with a Long Range Missile Volley, um killed a Dragon and left four miles of Splynns Slave quarter in shambles not to mention the civilian casualties.

I can assure you I've never had an opponent make me look so stupid and Amateur.

Ooofff Right In The Ego! !

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”