Faerie Food - Questions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lukterran
Adventurer

Faerie Food - Questions

Unread post by Lukterran »

Need some help because the printed material on faerie food is pretty limited in regards to how it is made and where it comes from.

I need any sources or opinions on how Faeries food is made magical. Can any faerie make any of the types of foods or do only certain faeries make particular foods? What does a faerie need to make their food (if anything at all)? Is there faerie farmers that grow the food? If it is grown when does get become enchanted at seed or after cooking? Are there any other components or items that go into faerie food creation or is it all just magic, like create bread and milk?

Thoughts, opinions, conspiracy theories are welcome. :angel:
Lukterran
Adventurer

Re: Faerie Food - Questions

Found this but not really an group consensus. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=139650&hilit=Faerie+Food
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I think faeries make the food for their own pleasure and amusement, that the ingredients are typically gathered from the environment or stolen from mortals, and that the act of preparing the food instills it with magic. The faerie folk are inherently magical and I don't think they'd require any specialized components or ritual to achieve the enchantment. The description from Conversion Book I indicates that faeries will maliciously feed their magical foods to unsuspecting mortals, so I think it's fair to say that they understand what they're doing and can intentionally create a specific food for its effect.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Kevin just talked about this in the latest Rifter article #73 which is offical cannon
material about faeries. Any faerie apparently can enchant normal people food into
faerie food. It doesn't go in details, but its apparently apart of their iniate magic
abilities.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Ive had it so they have to collect a few ingredients they can enchant food with (first dewdrop touched by the sun in a field for example), however I also have faery types that can produce it to make faerie market/fairs that players wander into, when the music stops the fair disappears.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Reagren Wright wrote:Kevin just talked about this in the latest Rifter article #73 which is offical cannon
material about faeries. Any faerie apparently can enchant normal people food into
faerie food. It doesn't go in details, but its apparently apart of their iniate magic
abilities.

Well then (I don't yet have this Rifter. I am still in the 50s) so it would seem that normal food is the source of their magic food. So that implies that they need to steal or grow food in order to enchant it. I am guessing they do some of their glamour and make it magical.

Based on the available foods and environment I guess not all foods would be available to all faeries. (see below) For example Mussels would require being close to an ocean to acquire. Which also leads to another point. How long does faerie food last or stay fresh. Alchemist trade in it so it would seem that it has better shelf life than most normal foods. Because things like fruits, vegetables and meats are going to stay very well. Perhaps the faerie enchanted makes the food where it doesn't ever perish?

So here is a list of the current foods in PF Main:

Beets
Squash
Sloe Wine
Cinnamon Sticks
Tomatoes
Pears
Goose
Roast Pigeon
Turkey
Mixed Nuts
Frog Legs
Mussels
Bubbly Wine
Burgundy Wine
Beetle Nuts
Tarts
Peanuts
Cordial
Coffee
Wine
Walnut Candy
Almond Candy
Beef Cake
Duck
Skunk Cabbage
Green Beans
Cauliflower

So my next question is do faeries kill animals like ducks, frogs, geese, turkeys and pigeons? Because obviously they make food from their bodies. I always assumed faeries (not the evil kind) were at harmony and peace with animals and plants of the woods.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Lukterran wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Kevin just talked about this in the latest Rifter article #73 which is offical cannon
abilities.

Well then (I don't yet have this Rifter. I am still in the 50s) so it would seem that normal food is the source of their magic food. So that implies that they need to steal or grow food in order to enchant it. I am guessing they do some of their glamour and make it magical.

Based on the available foods and environment I guess not all foods would be available to all faeries. (see below) For example Mussels would require being close to an ocean to acquire. Which also leads to another point. How long does faerie food last or stay fresh. Alchemist trade in it so it would seem that it has better shelf life than most normal foods. Because things like fruits, vegetables and meats are going to stay very well. Perhaps the faerie enchanted makes the food where it doesn't ever perish?

So here is a list of the current foods in PF Main:

Beets
Squash
Sloe Wine
Cinnamon Sticks
Tomatoes
Pears
Goose
Roast Pigeon
Turkey
Mixed Nuts
Frog Legs
Mussels
Bubbly Wine
Burgundy Wine
Beetle Nuts
Tarts
Peanuts
Cordial
Coffee
Wine
Walnut Candy
Almond Candy
Beef Cake
Duck
Skunk Cabbage
Green Beans
Cauliflower

So my next question is do faeries kill animals like ducks, frogs, geese, turkeys and pigeons? Because obviously they make food from their bodies. I always assumed faeries (not the evil kind) were at harmony and peace with animals and plants of the woods.

Being in harmony with nature doesn't mean being a tree hugging vegan. Death is just as much a part of the natural cycle as life is and hunting for food involves killing from time to time. I mean seriously, you think faeries don't look out for the predators, too?
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”