Gnome-sized high-quality weapons

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Gnome-sized high-quality weapons

Unread post by Axelmania »

Would these be super-rare because both Dwarves and Kobolds hate Gnomes? I bet they get made but they're probably super-pricy.

You couldn't really even use a proxy... you might be able to do that for acquiring normal-sized weapons by using an unhated race to buy for you. But only Gnomes (well, maybe also Leprechauns and Brownies) used Gnome-sized weapons so they'll know where it's headed and spike up the price accordingly.

How much more should it cost though?
Lukterran
Adventurer

Re: Gnome-sized high-quality weapons

Unread post by Lukterran »

Dwarves do not hate Gnomes.

PF Main Book pg. 294 Allies section. "Most dwarves also consider kobolds, troglodytes and gnomes as allies"
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, if you're a gnome and want a sword, use a human or elf sized dagger. If you want a gnome sized long sword, try a human sized short sword.

-Vek
"It's like the opposite of a giant sized sword."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The price is what it is in the book as the book makes no difference in value between giant sized nor gnome sized items.
Small weapons do 1d4
Large Weapons do 1d6
So a 1d4+4 dam shortsword would be 240gp.
It would be harder to pick up and use a human shortsword as the hilt would be thicker than one made for a gnome.

I charge about the same price for gnomish stuff (less material but more finicky) in human/elven/dwarven places
and I charge 3-4 times for each segment for larger than man size as its more material and more time.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Get the gnome to steal a steak knife...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

Or the gnome gets one fairy to steal the knife whilst the other steals the steak and, amidst the ruckus, the rest make off with the keg of beer (and, perhaps small children and goats).

Perhaps a fey long sword or great weapon could work for a gnome?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I always kinda wanted to rework PF weapon damages to be on a base d4 scale... so a dagger was a d4, a short sword was 2d4, a long sword 3d4, and a great sword 4d4. Want to move up in scale? Add a d4. Want to move down? Subtract a d4.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Mark Hall wrote:I always kinda wanted to rework PF weapon damages to be on a base d4 scale... so a dagger was a d4, a short sword was 2d4, a long sword 3d4, and a great sword 4d4. Want to move up in scale? Add a d4. Want to move down? Subtract a d4.

I always hated that all my other dice were always neglected. There used to by more uses for the D8 and but it was cast out with 2nd edition. Also the poor D12 just never really found much of a place in PFRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Lukterran wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I always kinda wanted to rework PF weapon damages to be on a base d4 scale... so a dagger was a d4, a short sword was 2d4, a long sword 3d4, and a great sword 4d4. Want to move up in scale? Add a d4. Want to move down? Subtract a d4.

I always hated that all my other dice were always neglected. There used to by more uses for the D8 and but it was cast out with 2nd edition. Also the poor D12 just never really found much of a place in PFRPG.

I change a few of the weapon damages around to use them (mostly polearms) but mostly leave the max damage the same.

1D12 for longsword, 3d4 for 2 handed espandon.
Heres_Beefy
D-Bee

Unread post by Heres_Beefy »

I would charge the same price for a gnome sized high quality weapon as a regular one less material but much higher degree of detail, and even with some racial hostilities I don't think a working smith would turn down the work or the gold.
Axelmania
Knight

Lukterran wrote:Dwarves do not hate Gnomes.

PF Main Book pg. 294 Allies section. "Most dwarves also consider kobolds, troglodytes and gnomes as allies"

Ah you're right, seems like complicated 1-sided feelings. 295 says gnomes tend to avoid dwarves, probably explained on 294 by them blaming them and elves for the war, although they seem to get along with elves better than dwarves for reasons I don't get.

Interesting how kobolds/goblins feel 'betrayed' by gnomes' relationship with dwarves, implies there is still one, perhaps just indirect through bartering through human proxies for gear? Elves wouldn't seem ideal for that role.

First edition 192 said dwarves "dislike gnomes" and 193 said they "fiercely dislike each other", I guess that changed... wish I knew why.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Am I the only one who is thinking of an enchanted dinner set as Gnome Sized weapons? Spoon that works like a catapult doing slingshot damage? Fork that returns when thrown, and so on?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Why not just allow gnomes to make their own high quality weapons? You can always just claim they are less common than the dwarf weapons, and that 'big folk' generally are less likely to commission a gnome to work on full size weapons
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Same reason you don't let anyone but dwarves and kobolds, because they are unique racial monopolies.

Though I guess you could make a.Gnome who is a Hardware Weapons Expert from.HU if you really wanted on who could make bonus weapons. Would need Analytical for bonus armor.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”