So...Airships?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

So...Airships?

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

I've been perusing this forum. I only own one PF-RPG book, the jungles of yin-soth(and I have no clue what's going in this book). I bought it used from a book store at the same time I picked up Triax and the Mindwerks book. I think there was a discount. In attempting to educate myself with wisdom from Google, I discovered that if you type in PFRPG, you get Pathfinder Role Playing Game.

So my primary metric for a cool sword and sorcery kind of RPG is it's airship status. Used to be all about the realms, but that was until Eberron came out. Crewing stolen airships is one of my true loves, especially if I get to use a warforged to do it.

So what kind of airships, if any do you guys have officially? And if you don't have an official one, tell me about your home brew and what you use for.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: So...Airships?

Unread post by kiralon »

The elves ruled the skies with various flying ships before they were nuked by the dwarves. They are really rare now but not totally gone, and they are basically just very pretty flying ships.
and I like flying castles myself, I just converted the elemental isle to flying as well as er sailing.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

By airships do you mean hot air balloon type dirigibles or do you mean magical flying sail boats?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The canon flying ships are magical in nature and can be found on page 153 of the Library of Bletherad. LoB is a generally useful book with many McGuffins and fun additions to Palladium's magical variety. More exotic magical flying vehicles could easily be adapted from the flying platforms published in Rifts World Book 21: Splynn Dimensional Market. I am not presently aware of any dirigibles that have been published.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Bill is right on the magical ones, though I could also see Palladium World developing some semi-magical ones... airships that rely on magic for their shaping, but not necessarily their operation. The Stone Ships of Byzantium would be a waterborn example.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Dirigibles have not been added to Palladium Fantasy, but have been described with Airship Construction and Combat rules in the very first RPG book I ever purchased, Mutants Down Under for After the Bomb.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Lukterran wrote:By airships do you mean hot air balloon type dirigibles or do you mean magical flying sail boats?

Final Fantasy style airships.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Library Ogre

I definitely see such a thing having magic involved in its creation and operation... hulls made of elemental wood, with air or fire warlocks to help keep them afloat.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Final Fantasy style airships.

PFRPG does not feature anything quite like the various types of airship featured in the Final Fantasy series. They vary pretty dramatically from game to game too; including everything from large wooden dirigibles to strange magically propelled rotorcraft, and high-tech spacecraft.

That said, nothing prevents you from assigning PFRPG compatible stats to a ship design you like. You can use the sailing ships from Adventures on the High Seas or the magical ships from Library of Bletherad as a guide or make it up whole cloth. About the only thing you can't do is post or request a specific conversion for a ship, like the Prima Vista, here.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Bill wrote:

PFRPG does not feature anything quite like the various types of airship featured in the Final Fantasy series. They vary pretty dramatically from game to game too; including everything from large wooden dirigibles to strange magically propelled rotorcraft, and high-tech spacecraft.

That said, nothing prevents you from assigning PFRPG compatible stats to a ship design you like. You can use the sailing ships from Adventures on the High Seas or the magical ships from Library of Bletherad as a guide or make it up whole cloth. About the only thing you can't do is post or request a specific conversion for a ship, like the Prima Vista, here.

Eh.... my problem is the more I look into Palldium Fantasy, the more it looks like Forgotten Realms (which itself is middle earth) with Heroes Unlimited rule set. I was looking for something a little different. I think my group will likely stick with Eberron.

Thanks guys.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

You could give Exalted a look. The second edition was full of all kinds of crazy stuff, including magical airships. I haven't gotten a copy of third edition yet.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Bill wrote:

Eh.... my problem is the more I look into Palldium Fantasy, the more it looks like Forgotten Realms (which itself is middle earth) with Heroes Unlimited rule set. I was looking for something a little different. I think my group will likely stick with Eberron.

Thanks guys.

So the magical, Final-Fantasy style airships in Library of Bletherad weren't to your liking? I think the legend of them is perfect and ripe for an adventuring group to eventually uncover a hidden, leftover airship, as the early Final Fantasy games had you do.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Glistam wrote:
Bill wrote:

Thanks guys.

So the magical, Final-Fantasy style airships in Library of Bletherad weren't to your liking? I think the legend of them is perfect and ripe for an adventuring group to eventually uncover a hidden, leftover airship, as the early Final Fantasy games had you do.

No idea about the Library thing, but don't want to buy a bunch of new books for the same stuff we already have. We were talking about maybe some new stuff, and someone described a pic from a comic book, for what they thought was a PF-RPG about an airship. I think it might have been art from Adventures on the high seas and my friend was just confused. If we're going to make up our own game world, we could just use HU rules which we already have or just cut and paste out the stuff we don't like from Eberron. But I do appreciate the effort you guys put forth.
Library Ogre

I want to say some of this also came up in Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness.

All Palladium Articles
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Mark Hall wrote:I want to say some of this also came up in Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness.

To be clear though, there is nothing like "The Human/Wolfen mountain Kingdom of Sembineisam hold and maintain their boarders thru the use of their mighty Airship navy and their much feared Marine components..." in the books published, correct?
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Mark Hall wrote:I want to say some of this also came up in Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness.

To be clear though, there is nothing like "The Human/Wolfen mountain Kingdom of Sembineisam hold and maintain their boarders thru the use of their mighty Airship navy and their much feared Marine components..." in the books published, correct?

You should change your name to this:

Ƭ̵̬̊
Library Ogre

Not to my knowledge, no.

All Palladium Articles
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Mark Hall wrote:

Not to my knowledge, no.

Don't you write for this world? Hehe, I was kind of looking to you for the definitive answers. :)
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Lukterran wrote:

You should change your name to this:

Ƭ̵̬̊

?

What's that about?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The last use of airships in a major way, in canon, was the Elven Empire used them heavily.
They saw lots of action in bombing Dwarven cities in the various Elf/Dwarf wars.

Since then they have been rare and with the wood supply needed to make them extinct getting rarer to the point that by this point they are virtually unknown.

This is discussed in depth in The Library of Bletherad book.

Now that is the official PF world. Personal games can (and most often do) change details all the time. I have run several games with various sorts of aerial forces in use by various factions for various lengths of time. The issue of course is that the more changes I do the larger the ripple on effects and thus the more secondary and tertiary changes I have to make.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre

Mark Hall wrote:

Not to my knowledge, no.

Don't you write for this world? Hehe, I was kind of looking to you for the definitive answers. :)

I turned in my last piece for this world a decade ago. It saw print seven years ago. I haven't kept up, or current.

All Palladium Articles
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Mark Hall wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Not to my knowledge, no.

I turned in my last piece for this world a decade ago. It saw print seven years ago. I haven't kept up, or current.

Still the closest thing to an official ruling I'm likely to get.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”