Island at the Edge of the World...anyone run it?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ghost2020
Adventurer

Island at the Edge of the World...anyone run it?

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Has anyone actually run this entire campaign?

How did it go? Did you use 1st or 2nd ed?

Do you have an summary of it online? (adventure log)

thanks!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Island at the Edge of the World...anyone run it?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

OH YEAH!!!!

First edition, must have made it last ten years with four sequels returning to the Valley and the Island!!

Used the book as is for the summary - the sequels depended on what the players do...

I did changed one thing to make it play out like an "accomplishment":

Spoiler:
I allowed the crystal to take a personal look at the crystal gateway they found in Archies basement (he's never supposed to want to leave the castle cos he's so paranoid). The players activated the gateway and the troll player leapt through with the king, thus making his control too far to reach (think they went to the Titans cave). Sounds good until this harsh blizzard started overcoming the Valley as there was no more climate control.... hehe
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Yes, my group ran this campaign many years ago when the book was first released. So we played using 1st edition rules (because 2nd edition didn't exist at that time). However, I would probably modify it to 2nd edition rules if I was going to run the game today. Only a few NPC stats actually need to be slightly adjusted. Sorry this was all Table Top (old school) we didn't log everything like the kids do today, so there is no online summary.

It went well and was fun plot line. I especially enjoyed the Church of Scar battles. The were probably my favorite part of the campaign.

One issue with the campaign maintaining any kind of cohesion and continued motivation for the players to move from one adventure location to the next is almost solo reliant on Archie. Should the group not go along with him, he die or an other number of scenarios that the GM didn't expect (like not properly motivated Player Characters) the campaign can go off the rails and getting back on track isn't as intuitive as it should be.

Traveling from one location to another while in the Old Kingdom Mountains goes smoothly and progress logically. The adventure kind of gets disjointed and the GM will have to fill in the gaps when taking the players from the Old Kingdom Mountains through Timiro. That is a lot of distance to travel and a lot of unaccounted for adventure opportunities. This is an opportunity to run the Place of Magic and many other adventures in the back of The Old Ones book. However, doing those adventures may likely sidetrack this campaign and stagnate the players interested in completing the final plot line.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Used it as a part of the reawakening of the old ones campaign, was a lot of fun, was first ed, and no summary as I only had dial up when i was doing it and had no inkling of putting it on the net.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I've used the town of Dozen Fracts and the first half of the adventure to lead up to
other adventures that I've ran. In fact, I plan on references parts of this book in my
Lopan submission. Did some 2nd edition conversion for many of the NPCS on the 2nd
edition post here on the message board.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

We started it.....
Our group was unwilling to surrender to mind control, fought our way out of the valley, and since we hadn't been conditioned...lead an army back to destroy "the pit of foul depravity". As Archie died in the ensuing battle it got really hard to get us on the path (the GM had to resort to a visitation from a god in our dreams....)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”