Pp bonus to strike with bow?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Heres_Beefy
D-Bee

Pp bonus to strike with bow?

Unread post by Heres_Beefy »

Hey guys,
I think my group and I have been doing something wrong, do you get your pp bonus to using bows? I looked threw the book quickly but I couldn't find anything diffinitive.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Pp bonus to strike with bow?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You do.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, you do.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Heres_Beefy
D-Bee

Unread post by Heres_Beefy »

Thanks guys I think we once read that you don't get it with modern ranged weapons and it just stuck in our heads.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, not to be contrarian, but according to the combat rules questions page on the Palladium site, PP does not add to bows or crossbows.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/questions/combat.html Question #16

-Vek
"There really should be an Aim score."
Eric42
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Eric42 »

A contadiction. I don't understand why it wouldn't.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Fan FAQ is horribly outdated and hasn't been updated in over a decade. In this case it's wrong, PP bonus does apply to ancient weapons as per more modern corebooks.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The Fan FAQ is horribly outdated and hasn't been updated in over a decade. In this case it's wrong, PP bonus does apply to ancient weapons as per more modern corebooks.
Got a Book and page number to go with that assertion?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:The Fan FAQ is horribly outdated and hasn't been updated in over a decade. In this case it's wrong, PP bonus does apply to ancient weapons as per more modern corebooks.

I'll Bite
On page 16
Palladium Fantasy 2nd edition 1st printing wrote:
"Physical Prowess (P.P.): shows the degree of dexterity and agility of the character. A P.P. of 16 or higher is rewarded with a bonus to dodge, parry, and strike."

On page 59
...All bonuses are accumulative...

The Archery skill is on page59. Since it would probably be a violation to post the entire skill I will point out that there is no mention anywhere in the skill that PP bonus does NOT apply. This is very important because on page 60 we have the W.P. Modern skill which does explicitly say
"...Normal strike bonuses from hand to hand combat skills do NOT apply, but bonuses from a high P.P. attribute or the targeting skill do count."

This shows that the book does make a note of when the normal "all bonuses are accumulative" rule is not followed AND shows that in at least this case (for PF) PP bonus applies to guns and modern weapons explicitly. Thus the logic that it does indeed apply to all weapons.

A counter claim though would be to simply question the canonical status of the FAQ being cited. Since the FAQ has been demonstrated to contain rulings that have been proved false, and as far as I know it has never been explicitly ruled to be canonical it seems that using it to counter a canon book (which post dates it significantly) is questionable at best.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

eliakon wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I'll Bite
On page 16
"Physical Prowess (P.P.): shows the degree of dexterity and agility of the character. A P.P. of 16 or higher is rewarded with a bonus to dodge, parry, and strike."

On page 59
...All bonuses are accumulative...

The Archery skill is on page59. Since it would probably be a violation to post the entire skill I will point out that there is no mention anywhere in the skill that PP bonus does NOT apply. This is very important because on page 60 we have the W.P. Modern skill which does explicitly say
"...Normal strike bonuses from hand to hand combat skills do NOT apply, but bonuses from a high P.P. attribute or the targeting skill do count."

This shows that the book does make a note of when the normal "all bonuses are accumulative" rule is not followed AND shows that in at least this case (for PF) PP bonus applies to guns and modern weapons explicitly. Thus the logic that it does indeed apply to all weapons.

A counter claim though would be to simply question the canonical status of the FAQ being cited. Since the FAQ has been demonstrated to contain rulings that have been proved false, and as far as I know it has never been explicitly ruled to be canonical it seems that using it to counter a canon book (which post dates it significantly) is questionable at best.

the problem here is not my belief or non-belief in the faq...
it was the presentation of "facts" with no citations of canon support.
One cannot simply say "the books say so" and not provide book and page and expect it to be accepted. especially when it contradicts the FAQ... while many of us older PB players and foumites are familiar with the questionable nature of the answers presented in the FAQ many newer forum goers are coming to us from sites with official FAQs that are as valid as the books those sites sell.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

You might be confused because other segments of the game world don't provide PP bonus to bows, like HU (see HUGMG, 204). If you're allowing things to flow across the megaverse, sometimes rules get confused.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Fermat wrote:You might be confused because other segments of the game world don't provide PP bonus to bows, like HU (see HUGMG, 204). If you're allowing things to flow across the megaverse, sometimes rules get confused.

That is why the games are 'compatable' and not 'the same game' :)
Each game line has its own set of rules that they use and those rules are not always the same. Crossing lines means that work will need to be done, and that the GM will have to figure out what base rules he is working with. In such a case.....is the GM running an HU game with PF elements added or a PF game with HU elements added....that sort of thing.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Well if you want to use it in your game as G.M, then say it and it will be so. I've always allow
P.P. to be used in archery, except not for Crossbows because they are more like a firearm. In my
games, I'm old school. A dice roll of 1-4 is an automatic miss. I don't care if you have a +18 to
strike, parry, or dodge. It's a miss. Now others may not play that way. That's okay. Kevin always
says don't like a rule, don't use it. Make the game the way it works best for you and your players
have a fun time playing it. Tailor the game to fit your needs and maximize your imagination :D .
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

eliakon wrote:
Fermat wrote:You might be confused because other segments of the game world don't provide PP bonus to bows, like HU (see HUGMG, 204). If you're allowing things to flow across the megaverse, sometimes rules get confused.

That is why the games are 'compatable' and not 'the same game' :)
Each game line has its own set of rules that they use and those rules are not always the same. Crossing lines means that work will need to be done, and that the GM will have to figure out what base rules he is working with. In such a case.....is the GM running an HU game with PF elements added or a PF game with HU elements added....that sort of thing.

Though it would be nice if there was "less tweaking" of core mechanics across lines to avoid this confusion. Tweaks should be more focused on actual values (ex Skill Base/Level) than mechanics (when PP bonus applies).
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Reagren Wright wrote:In my games, I'm old school. A dice roll of 1-4 is an automatic miss. I don't care if you have a +18 to strike, parry, or dodge. It's a miss. Now others may not play that way. That's okay. Kevin always says don't like a rule, don't use it.

Greetings and Salutations. As long as you understand that having a Natural roll of 1-4 as a miss is you changing things, that's cool. So others not playing that way would be them playing by the rules as written (if they include bonuses that is, and not some other variation). Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hiya,

P.P. BONUS ON STRIKING WITH BOWS

That is true, and the rules ARE organized in a somewhat peculiar fashion. HU is quite different on several elements; it is part of a rules update cycle prior to PFRPG, Splicers, Rifts Ultimate, and BTS-II. If you compare PFRPG 2nd edition and that latest edition of the "core rules", i.e. notably RIFTS Ultimate, Splicers and Beyond the Supernatural II, you can find that they are pretty much aligned, and closer to PFRPG than Heroes Unlimited.

For example, it is true BTS-II disallows P.P. boni for modern weapons, i.e. guns (p. 215: "P.P. attribute bonuses and Hand to Hand Combat bonuses do NOT apply to modern weapons."), but allows it for ancient weapons, i.e. bows, crossbows, and thrown (p. 213: "Bonuses that increase for that particular weapon are accumulative and are combined with the character's P.P. attribute, P.C.C., and Hand to Hand Combat skill bonuses."). PFRPG has the same rule as the latter and no mention of the former (as there are no guns in PFRPG).

Thus, and as has been said multiple times above, I agree with, inter alia, Nekira and drewkitty, etc.: P.P. boni on "strike" are added to hitting with a bow (including a crossbow and thrown) in PFRPG.

AUTOMATIC MISS ISSUE
On the 1-4 issue, for example BTS-II says (p. 158) "...roll a twenty-sided die. If the result is four or less (counting bonuses), the attacker misses."

The same rule on 1-4 applies in PFRPG; the rule "...roll a twenty-sided die. If the result is four or less (counting bonuses), the attacker misses." is on p. 43.

Prysus wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:In my games, I'm old school. A dice roll of 1-4 is an automatic miss. I don't care if you have a +18 to strike, parry, or dodge. It's a miss. Now others may not play that way. That's okay. Kevin always says don't like a rule, don't use it.

Greetings and Salutations. As long as you understand that having a Natural roll of 1-4 as a miss is you changing things, that's cool. So others not playing that way would be them playing by the rules as written (if they include bonuses that is, and not some other variation). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

So, I agree with Prysus, Reagren. Under PFRPG 2nd edition rules a 1-4 is only a miss if the result of a D20 roll plus/minus boni/mali arrives at 1-4. There is no "Natural 1-4" rule.

That said, I play with a Natural-1 to counterbalance the Natural-20. I also use 2 additional attacks ("for the living") in PFRPG. I agree with Kevin, whatever floats one's boat and is fun is a-go. But, unless one plays 1st edition PFRPG (which IIRC had an automatic miss on 1-4), a Nat/1-4 rule is a houserule...

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

unless you are going to use the bow to twack someones with, that's a no.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Well there is a wp modern weapons in my 2nd ed pfrpg book and it says
Normal strike bonuses from hand to hand combat
skills do NOT apply, but bonuses from a high P.P. attribute or the
targeting skill do count.
(and this is for untrained, and the modern compound bow is there too so the modern compound bow gets a bonus from pp but not bonuses from hth style).
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Count me confused. I will check when I will be back at my books.

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:Well there is a wp modern weapons in my 2nd ed pfrpg book and it says
Normal strike bonuses from hand to hand combat
skills do NOT apply, but bonuses from a high P.P. attribute or the
targeting skill do count.
(and this is for untrained, and the modern compound bow is there too so the modern compound bow gets a bonus from p.p. but not bonuses from hth style).

The term modern weapons in the PB lexicon has the meaning of firearms and firearm like directed energy weapons. (i.e.: pistols, rifles and missiles launchers)

As for the PF2 WP Modern Weapons, I take it as to mean close quarter fighting; ranges being between 5-30 feet; with the modern weapons. Which is why the PP or WP targeting counts for it.

However....
After rereading it just now, the PF2 WP Modern Weapons does not state any bonuses in and of itself. It only states what an untrained character gets when using a modern weapon in the PF setting.

And....
They left out which WP Targeting bonus that the char would get while shooting. I am thinking that they get the 'Bow, x-bow, & spear bonus' because of the similarities.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The term modern weapons in the PB lexicon has the meaning of firearms and firearm like directed energy weapons. (i.e.: pistols, rifles and missiles launchers)

I can understand that, but I haven't seen it in the fantasy books themselves, so I include anything with modern in the name as well, because its in the name (doesn't mean I wouldn't allow it to be used with archery as well though), and in the fantasy book it also incudes explosives as well, so not just directed energy. I'd do the same with a vibroblade or energy sword. WP modern would let you use it, so would wp sword.
However as modern doesn't actually have bonuses it mostly just lets you turn it on and not chop/blow your own leg off.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
As for the PF2 WP Modern Weapons, I take it as to mean close quarter fighting; ranges being between 5-30 feet; with the modern weapons. Which is why the PP or WP targeting counts for it.

Not sure why you would think that, it certainly doesn't say that and a pfrpg character with wp modern weapons and a rifle would have a legitimate complaint if you said he couldn't shoot something 300ft away, especially considering it says hth bonuses do not apply.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
However....
After rereading it just now, the PF2 WP Modern Weapons does not state any bonuses in and of itself. It only states what an untrained character gets when using a modern weapon in the PF setting.

Saying that the untrained player gets a pp bonus and the trained player would, would strike me as a little odd.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
And....
They left out which WP Targeting bonus that the char would get while shooting. I am thinking that they get the 'Bow, x-bow, & spear bonus' because of the similarities.

agreed

and the fact that it says in combat roll to strike and add your bonuses means you roll to strike and add your bonuses (incuding pp) with any weapon you are proficient in
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Not sure why you would think that, it certainly doesn't say that and a pfrpg character with wp modern weapons and a rifle would have a legitimate complaint if you said he couldn't shoot something 300ft away, especially considering it says hth bonuses do not apply.

Mostly thinking about pistols.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

PP BONI FOR BOWS AND MODERN WEAPONS

First off, thanks for pointing me to the Modern Weapons W.P. I had forgotten about it as I never used it in PFRPG. I was sloppy above im citing BtS-II but not PFRPG on the issue of PP bonus for bows.

Reading the W.P. Modern Weapons, it seems pretty clear to me that it only covers, as stated in the book in the W.P. entry, all and only "...(Guns!)...".

So, it covers rifles, pistols, and arguably also cannon of all types. This would preclude composite bows, as those are not guns. The W.P., however, also makes kind of a reference to include all weapons beyond the tech level of the Palladium fantasy world. The composite bow is a 20th century innovation, which speaks for its inclusion as a "modern weapon". However, it employs the block and tackle principle and that is within the Palladium fantasy tech level. Also a composite bow is, well, a bow, so it seems closer to include it in the ambit of the W.P. for bows. Up to each of us to decide, I guess. I follow the simple delineation that all guns are "modern" and a bow, even a "modern" one, is a bow. It needs bow skills not gun skills.

Agreeing with drewkitty, although I do not understand the reference to 5-30 feet?

As to the PP bonus for bows: I can find nowhere in the rules that you do not get a PP bonus when using a bow. The attributes section only speaks about the PP stat giving you a strike bonus. Thereafter, the rules speak only about a strike bonus, which has two sources mainly, i.e. PP stat bonus and HtH.

While the BtS-II clarification I quoted above is missing in PFRPG - sorry if I misrepresented that - it is clear to my mind that you get your strike bonus for any attack, unless expressly stated to the contrary.

For example, when using a long bow only Longbowmen and Rangers get their full strike bonus while all others only get half strike boni, no matter the source.

Kindest regards
Hendrik

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Hendrik wrote:snip...

Agreeing with drewkitty, although I do not understand the reference to 5-30 feet?

...snip

John Woo style gun fights at close range. Like the ones in Hard Boiled. Where a high PP effects are more pronounced.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

So how about 10 ft laser poles, vibroblades and energy swords, are they modern or not? they definitely work on the hit em with a stick principle but are definitely modern, just like the modern compound bow, and if a compound bow is just a bow, a rifle is just a crossbow you don't have to crank to reload.

The modern wp also covers explosives too btw.

The longbow is exclusive (sorta, a lot of classes say any wp) to the ranger and longbowman but only longbowman get no negatives.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

W.P. Modern covers guns. Again, I don't have the book in front of me, going to work now - even if explosives are covered that would be no argument to cover any bow.

Vibroblades etc would be knives or swords, I would say. Laser pole arms would be, well, pole arms or spears. A rifle is not a crossbow under the rules as I read and understand them...

I get your argument and, why not, cover whatever you want under WP Modern. It will usually be a purely rhetorical thing. As the rules advise, use any more modern Palladium game if you need more weapon skills. I would use the ones from BtS if I ever had modern weapons of any frequency. I have none.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

There is the helpful fact that the W.P. Sections in the books have an "Ancient Weapons" and "Modern Weapons" sections....
Bows are always in the Ancient section, as are pole arms, shields, knives, swords, forks, thrown, improvised, blunt and the like.
While Modern weapons have guns, energy weapons, shot guns, grenades, missile launchers, deadballs, heavy weapons, and the like.
Off hand I would respectfully suggest that this is what is meant by 'modern weapons'

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

eliakon wrote:There is the helpful fact that the W.P. Sections in the books have an "Ancient Weapons" and "Modern Weapons" sections.... Bows are always in the Ancient section, as are pole arms, shields, knives, swords, forks, thrown, improvised, blunt and the like. While Modern weapons have guns, energy weapons, shot guns, grenades, missile launchers, deadballs, heavy weapons, and the like. Off hand I would respectfully suggest that this is what is meant by 'modern weapons'

That makes sense :-)

I guess the reason for W.P. Modern Weapons was - and IIRC the text says as much - to cover the rare case that modern weapons find their way onto the Palladium Fantasy world. These weapons are normally not something for which widespread schooling is available; these are items that will seem magical to people from our fantasy world, aka "boomsticks". If it became more widespread, let's say a feature and not an artefact, the more specific WP's from other systems can/should be used (which the text also says). Use of those skills would also allow for better boni when using them.

kiralon wrote:... if a compound bow is just a bow, a rifle is just a crossbow you don't have to crank to reload... The longbow is exclusive (sorta, a lot of classes say any wp) to the ranger and longbowman but only longbowman get no negatives.

Sorry if I sounded a bit obstinate before, Kiralon. Never type when you are in a rush, I guess. I like your argument with the crossbow when compared to the rifle. I can see that. The reason why I do not agree is that a crossbow is a weapon covered with its own W.P. (and fits the setting) while a rifle does not have its own W.P. in PFRPG but is part of the Modern Weapons "melting pot" (and not usually part of the setting). Also, crossbows and rifles are not handled in one W.P. throughout Palladium. Again, though, why not.

Re longbow=exclusive ... I do not agree. The longbow can be used by anyone, untrained or trained with the W.P. (archery etc.), but as you said, only the longbowman (and the ranger, but I do not recall from the top of my head if to the same extent) gets it, as you rightly said, without mali.

Kindest regards
Hendrik

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As for the PF2 WP Modern Weapons, I take it as to mean close quarter fighting; ranges being between 5-30 feet; with the modern weapons. Which is why the PP or WP targeting counts for it. However.... After rereading it just now, the PF2 WP Modern Weapons does not state any bonuses in and of itself. It only states what an untrained character gets when using a modern weapon in the PF setting. And.... They left out which WP Targeting bonus that the char would get while shooting. I am thinking that they get the 'Bow, x-bow, & spear bonus' because of the similarities.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:John Woo style gun fights at close range. Like the ones in Hard Boiled. Where a high PP effects are more pronounced.

I will come back to this later today, drewkitty :-) IIRC, W.P. Modern Weapons does not restrict range but is "just" any use of a modern weapon (as specified).

Kindest regards
Hendrik

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Just for the record, the "Modern Compound Bow" is listed in ranges and damage under W.P. Archery. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Just for the record, the "Modern Compound Bow" is listed in ranges and damage under W.P. Archery. Farewell and safe journeys.

Thank you, Prysus. You would know that, of course :-)

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Going further off topic but
According to the book only longbowman get full bonuses with a longbow, other skilled archers bonus to strike is halved and their ROF is = to their HTH. That's the longbows exclusivity.
The modern compound bow range and damage is listed under archery but that is just one of the signs of the schizophrenic manner that the books have been laid out in, as they obviously forgot to put in ranges for ranged weapons so the put the info in the wp, rather then near the equipment, because they forgot to put the pistol/light/heavy crossbow into the equipment list because they copy pasted that from 1st ed and only updated damage, and the weapon list is where I get what wp you need to use that weapon.
The wp is the care and maintenance of a weapon too, and the care and maintenance of a modern compound bow would be hard. Anybody got any Dacron in palladium, or some aircraft grade aluminium or carbon fibre. That's what I was trying to get at with the rifle/xbow thing. Use of the weapon is very similar, care of the weapon isn't. Where do you draw the line of needing the modern wp. I'd class the modern compound bow as a longbow for firing, but couldn't be done, break a string, bad luck, throw the thing away.

back on topic
Even in the description in weapon proficiencies says that ALL bonuses are cumulative
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I really hope someone tries to add PP bonuses to setting an explosive.

-Vek
"Also, I'd like to see what happens if you roll a 1-4 with explosives."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I really hope someone tries to add PP bonuses to setting an explosive.

-Vek
"Also, I'd like to see what happens if you roll a 1-4 with explosives."

Lol, it gets very messy

Explosives is a %roll, so you could get a bonus of %5 per plus.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, of course it's a %. I was just being absurd.

-Vek
"Why should I start contributing useful posts now?
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I was being silly too, but you are correct anyway, throwing grenades can be just to hard for some people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzjJFKzFCfo
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

If someone wants PP bonuses to strike with a bow they ought to have to select Sharpshooter. Allowing normal PP and sharpshooter PP to both count is broke-inducing.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:If someone wants PP bonuses to strike with a bow they ought to have to select Sharpshooter. Allowing normal PP and sharpshooter PP to both count is broke-inducing.

If that is how you run your game, that is fine for your game. Even if it is not in the RAW.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:If someone wants PP bonuses to strike with a bow they ought to have to select Sharpshooter. Allowing normal PP and sharpshooter PP to both count is broke-inducing.

Well first there is not Sharpshooter Skill in PF
Second depending on how you read the text it may already be that way. A strict interpretation of the skill could lead to the conclusion that the Sharpshooter PP strike bonus replaces the regular PP bonus instead of adds to it.

Though to be honest, considering the number of skill slots it takes to get Sharpshooter, and the limited utility of the increase it is not all that much of a boost in PF.

Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I can't believe there are still arguments about this P.P. bonuses are added to ranged bow strikes. This has already been answers in these forums

Under "Ranged Combat FAQ" in the "Games F.A.Q. Archive"

Question: Are the PP bonuses to strike applicable to any of the ranged combat WPs?
Specifically Archery & Targeting but also the more 'modern' weapon proficiencies.
Answer: The bonus from PP is aplicable to ALL ancient style weapons including bows and crossbows, spears when thrown, throwing knives, shuriken, and other "thrown" weapons.
P.P. bonuses only apply to modern weapon proficiencies in certain circumstances/systems.

Question: I'v seen it posted here many times that P.P. bonuses to strike are not added to ranged combat.
Up till now I've just assumed that this was correct as most of you all here on the boards have much more experience and knowledge of the system than I do but I got curious as to where in the books this is stated as NONE of the people I've EVER played ANY of Palladium's games as EVER done it this way. I've looked through the combat section of the silver hardbound RMB and haven't been able to find such a rule.
I'm not all that good at finding rules so please point me to it.
If possible please quote me a book and page # of where I can find said
"P.P. Bonuses to strike do not count tward ranged combat" rule.
Answer: SB1, p. 7; Unrevised Conversion Book 1, page 8; Ninjas & Superspies, page 132 (Revised N&S, page 134); BTS1E, page 41; Revised TMNT, page 67.
RGMG (4th printing),(as well as BtSN2e and Splicers) do have this rule, but it's a contradiction of the other material.
PFRPG2 uses W.P. Modern Weapons, which DOES allow P.P. bonuses to be used (as does Splicers).

You have always added all attribute, O.C.C., racial and W.P. bonuses together. For their applicable category (i.e., strike). It has been this way since 1st edition.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Lukterran wrote:I can't believe there are still arguments about this P.P. bonuses are added to ranged bow strikes. This has already been answers in these forums

Under "Ranged Combat FAQ" in the "Games F.A.Q. Archive"

Question: Are the PP bonuses to strike applicable to any of the ranged combat WPs?
Specifically Archery & Targeting but also the more 'modern' weapon proficiencies.
Answer: The bonus from PP is aplicable to ALL ancient style weapons including bows and crossbows, spears when thrown, throwing knives, shuriken, and other "thrown" weapons.
P.P. bonuses only apply to modern weapon proficiencies in certain circumstances/systems.

Question: I'v seen it posted here many times that P.P. bonuses to strike are not added to ranged combat.
Up till now I've just assumed that this was correct as most of you all here on the boards have much more experience and knowledge of the system than I do but I got curious as to where in the books this is stated as NONE of the people I've EVER played ANY of Palladium's games as EVER done it this way. I've looked through the combat section of the silver hardbound RMB and haven't been able to find such a rule.
I'm not all that good at finding rules so please point me to it.
If possible please quote me a book and page # of where I can find said
"P.P. Bonuses to strike do not count tward ranged combat" rule.
Answer: SB1, p. 7; Unrevised Conversion Book 1, page 8; Ninjas & Superspies, page 132 (Revised N&S, page 134); BTS1E, page 41; Revised TMNT, page 67.
RGMG (4th printing),(as well as BtSN2e and Splicers) do have this rule, but it's a contradiction of the other material.
PFRPG2 uses W.P. Modern Weapons, which DOES allow P.P. bonuses to be used (as does Splicers).

You have always added all attribute, O.C.C., racial and W.P. bonuses together. For their applicable category (i.e., strike). It has been this way since 1st edition.

Since those FAQs are not exactly canon (and some of the answers have been....inconsistent with published rules...) it still comes up
As for the second one, that doesn't help much since Bows are not a "modern weapon" and do not use the W.P. Modern Weapons.

Though to be fair, I am one of the advocates for "yes" on the theory that it says PP adds to all ancient weapons, bows are in the ancient weapons section, ergo PP adds to bows

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I thought that the bonus for ranged should be a different stat, so even though I think the bonus does count (as it says + to strike, not plus to strike with some weapons) I thought the bonus from having a high pp was do big to be added to weapons and bows, so I made the Perception stat and use that instead.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Your forgetting K.I.S.S.

Combat Rules PF Main pg. 44
The Palladium combat system is relatively simple, quick and realistic.
It has been thoroughly play tested and has appeared in a dozen different
RPGs with great success. It is designed to be fast-moving and
easy to understand.
All combat moves (strikes, parries, dodges, etc.) are
resolved by rolling a twenty-sided die (1D20).

If you find rules complex or contradictory you are probably over thinking it and looking at it through the wrong "lens" of keeping it simple and fast.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Combat Rules PF Main pg. 44
It has been thoroughly play tested

Lol, I roll an 18 to disbelieve. It is fun and quick but not realistic (back flipping, flying jump kicking palladins or you need a 2 or higher to shoot a rabbit at 1000ft with a longbow and the rabbit is moving at 50mph, or when you are high level full plate is as useful as papier-mâché armour)
Thoroughly playtested, possibly but if it was they didn't fix a lot of the issues.
Fun - definitely.
For me though fun has to have a higher level of reality then is present in the game thus house rules.
Lukterran
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:Combat Rules PF Main pg. 44
It has been thoroughly play tested

Lol, I roll an 18 to disbelieve. It is fun and quick but not realistic (back flipping, flying jump kicking palladins or you need a 2 or higher to shoot a rabbit at 1000ft with a longbow and the rabbit is moving at 50mph, or when you are high level full plate is as useful as papier-mâché armour)
Thoroughly playtested, possibly but if it was they didn't fix a lot of the issues.
Fun - definitely.
For me though fun has to have a higher level of reality then is present in the game thus house rules.

You're correct simplistic and realistic seem like the are at opposite ends of the "balancing scales" when you try and create rules for a game system. Either it is simple and you have crazy unbelievable situations like you described, when you play strictly to those rules. Or you have a very complex set of situational rules that go to great links to make the game realistic.

Somewhere in the middle you have to find a balance. That is why having a judge or mediator (i.e., GM) to interrupt (or look past) the rules and apply common sense when applicable makes games like this work.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”