Monster books

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Brian44
Newb

Monster books

Unread post by Brian44 »

Would anyone like to see a series of monster books for Palladium fantasy?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Monster books

Unread post by Bill »

I love bestiaries and more of them would be great to have. However, Palladium's supement model focuses on regions; including creatures that can be found in different locations along with common OCCs and playable races in the same book. While two bestiaries for PFRPG2 have been released, Dragons & Gods and Monsters & Animals both in 1996, it's not how the company usually does things. There's even a decent sales-based reason for followiing the model that Palladium does. A bestiary is a supplement bought mostly by GMs and collectors while a regional supplement has material of interest to all players.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

While I love the way they put out the books by region, it can make for a frustrating time trying to find information on a certain creature/item. A lot of "Which book was that in again?"
I find it faster to post on here and ask. Someone will give you the book and page number pretty quickly.
Having supplemental books for weapons, creatures, magic etc is a nice resource.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'd like it, but it probably won't happen, due to the reasons others have already said.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

My Monsters & Animals has a first print of 1985. I wonder if in the last 30 years there isn't enough material between the source books, the Rifter, and perhaps some of the best of the Monstrous Creations thread to put a Monsters & Animals II together similar to the Book of Magic?

I, for one, would love not to have to search multiple books for the creature I remember reading about 5 years ago and would be perfect for an encounter. I think GMs and players would buy it.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Totally could be done, much like D-bees of North America compiles RCCs from other sources. However, I think the real question is still, would it sell? Is PFRPG's fanbase large enough to make another bestiary profitable? I have no idea, but the folks at Palladium could make an educated guess based off the annual sales of the two currently in print.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”