Ancient Master

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sandancer
D-Bee

Ancient Master

Unread post by Sandancer »

Does anyone know if there is a conversion for the Ancient Master from Heroes Unlimited to Palladium 2nd edition RPG?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Ancient Master

Unread post by Jefffar »

It can go almost as is, the big thing is giving it an appropriate skill set. I recommend using either of the Monk classes for skills - don't take any of the special abilities though, the Ancient Master has plenty.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

some of the ninjas and superspies martial arts can be used
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

In the back of Ninjas & Superspies there is a conversion for the "Ancient Martial Artist O.C.C." and while it isn't exactly the Ancient Master, it is a good fit for the setting.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Jefffar wrote:It can go almost as is, the big thing is giving it an appropriate skill set. I recommend using either of the Monk classes for skills - don't take any of the special abilities though, the Ancient Master has plenty.

I can agree that the best skills set for the AM within PF2 would be the Warrior Monk's, I would say that the player could retain the stick fighting skills but choosing that as the AM's <of choice> WP and one OCC Related skills from the skills set. And trade out the Channel &U Physical Energy for the Spirit Strike (& the WM PPE base).
I would also have them retain the Art and 1st aid skills and the two domestic skills from the AM skills.

As to back story I would have the AM be a combat instructor that has ether gained a desire to roam the world or was given the boot for "some" :roll: "reason" (be imaginative in creating the reason).

filo_clarke wrote:In the back of Ninjas & Superspies there is a conversion for the "Ancient Martial Artist O.C.C." and while it isn't exactly the Ancient Master, it is a good fit for the setting.

The N&S text is not as you say a AM CC it is building the Dedicated MA CC from that book as a Ancient Master.
------
Comparing the two options presented (above), the Warrior Monk skill set is better for a well rounded char then the DMA N&S option.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sandancer
D-Bee

Unread post by Sandancer »

How about this for changes.

Drop Feign Death & Cleansing Spirit to take Stick Fighting & Spirit Strike.

Drop Positive Energy & Channel and Unleash Physical Energy to take the Temple Skills from the Warrior Monk.

Use the Warrior Monk's starting Gold and Equipment.

Use the skills from Ancient Master but make any choices from each skill category as if you were a Warrior Monk.

Part of the problem seems to be all the bonuses that the Ancient Master gets from Hand to Hand Ancient Master.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty~..~ wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:In the back of Ninjas & Superspies there is a conversion for the "Ancient Martial Artist O.C.C." and while it isn't exactly the Ancient Master, it is a good fit for the setting.

The N&S text is not as you say a AM CC it is building the Dedicated MA CC from that book as a Ancient Master.

It has been ages since I last looked at a friend's copy of N&SS, but doesn't it also use the Skill Program system like HU? IINM it does so in that sense it probably can provide the frame work to convert the HU Category/Skill Program into a the OCC system for PF rather than a from scratch approach. Or you could convert the HU character class to N&SS class (is that possible?) and then move it into PF as the book outlines.

---
The simplest way (short of just dropping the character in as is, and making any adjustments as you go) is probably to make the HTH: MA form from the Ancient Master available to select appropriate classes as a HTH replacement either as a no-cost trade (ex select HTH: Assassin or Martial Arts) or for a select number of "other skills" (Rifts Japan takes this approach).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yep, sort of. But the char templates are called OCCs.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The Ancient Master would be the equivalent of lvl15 char from memory. If you want a martial artist in palladium the conversion Is in the back of n&s and advises that you limit the matial art styles to a few. Cha Chuan kung fu and Zanji both work fairly well. The martial artist is very limited to what skill he can take but is generally a death dealing machine in hth. Chi abilities are especially unbalancing as palladium people/creatures don't rally have a defence. The Zenjorike abilities aren't to bad though.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”