Bards?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eric42
Wanderer

Bards?

Unread post by Eric42 »

So far, I only have the Palladium Fantasy 2nd E, Dragons and Gods and Monsters and Animals books. I'm crafting my own adventure and got to wondering if there is an existing OCC for a bard in any of the other books?

If not, what could be a good setup for a normal person that's bard?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Bards?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Adventures on the High Seas has a bard. They are generalized entertainers, not the semi-magical musicians of D&D.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

they don't really need to be magic to be a bard. as a bard you are never turned away at taverns nor at town gates. bards were the "sex symbols" of the day. source of entertainment, news, culture, sophistication, decorum, manners, etiquette, and elocution. skilled in conversation, story telling, barter, flirtation, seduction, public speaking, music, and the use of weapons. the ones who was welcomed almost anywhere due to their wit and refinement. the bard was in-the-know on all the latest gossip, rumors, current upheavals, and basically general knowledge of several cities and areas or can find out easily enough!

the ink quill is mightier then 10,000 swords. the things they can do with a mere song. help or hinder trade, help or hinder a church, topple a kingdom or make it seam like heaven, start or stop an uprising or revolt, etc. in a way, their songs are magical. they can plant seeds through music and reach a lot of people quickly.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mark Hall wrote:Adventures on the High Seas has a bard. They are generalized entertainers, not the semi-magical musicians of D&D.

There is a Song mage in on of the Rifters. "Should" be findable with in the rifter index, or my list of Magic in the Rifters.

It is presented as a PF CC I believe.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Adventures on the High Seas has a bard. They are generalized entertainers, not the semi-magical musicians of D&D.

There is a Song mage in on of the Rifters. "Should" be findable with in the rifter index, or my list of Magic in the Rifters.

It is presented as a PF CC I believe.

Rifter 18, Page 47.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Library Ogre

No, you don't need magic to be a bard, but the frequent assumption of "Bard" in RPGs is one who is magical in some way. If the OP was looking for such a character, knowing where the bard OCC is doesn't do him a lot of good if he's looking for "Minor wizard who sings" or "magical musician" or any other interpretation commonly tied to the name "bard".

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

If you want a magical bard let him take some psionics or play a half wizard bard
However I did create a range of monsters that were effected by music, and the better the music the worse it was for the bad guys (reduced their invulnerability, stopped them from using certain powers and could stop their regen).
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

you've been watching Repossessed with Leslie Nielsen, Linda Blair, and Ned Beatty.
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

Well, in my adventure, I simply wanted a bard that's a local "celebrity" that could be a source of info and lore for my players. It'd be nice to have some magic skills on him but it doesn't matter. I'd like to have his songs maybe grant blessings or something...
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

I also want to have a barmaid too, but I've found no setups for one, except in Dead Reign's normal occ list - "Wait Staff/Cook", but there is too much I'd have to eliminate... too many of the "modern" skills...
Library Ogre

I'd call the barmaid a Vagabond/Peasant OCC, myself. I don't see a terrible reason for them to be a full OCC.

If you want the bard's songs to grant blessings or something like that, you might make him the priest of some deity, just with those minor powers available. I worry less about balance when it's not intended for PC use.

All Palladium Articles
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

Mark Hall wrote:I'd call the barmaid a Vagabond/Peasant OCC, myself. I don't see a terrible reason for them to be a full OCC.

That's a fantastic idea! Except, I think the merchant occ would be better. Thanks for the idea!

Mark Hall wrote:If you want the bard's songs to grant blessings or something like that, you might make him the priest of some deity, just with those minor powers available. I worry less about balance when it's not intended for PC use.

I'd have to customize it, but it'd be close to the priest...

The idea I have is that the blessings are not tied to a deity of any kind and are just minor boosts that lasts for maybe a week or so.
Library Ogre

Eric42 wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I'd call the barmaid a Vagabond/Peasant OCC, myself. I don't see a terrible reason for them to be a full OCC.

That's a fantastic idea! Except, I think the merchant occ would be better. Thanks for the idea!

NP. That's what the optional classes are really for... "I need this NPC, but don't feel like coming up with a full new OCC to describe left-handed willow-wood basketweavers."

All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eric42 wrote:Well, in my adventure, I simply wanted a bard that's a local "celebrity" that could be a source of info and lore for my players. It'd be nice to have some magic skills on him but it doesn't matter. I'd like to have his songs maybe grant blessings or something...

If it is going to be a NPC then you don't need to write her up as so much but his personality and his skill and her possession and what the NPC knows.

Eric42 wrote:I also want to have a barmaid too, but I've found no setups for one, except in Dead Reign's normal occ list - "Wait Staff/Cook", but there is too much I'd have to eliminate... too many of the "modern" skills...

The Saloon Girl in the Rifts New West book is the template I go to for bar/tavern maids. Just replacing the modern skills with ones from the PF setting.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If it is going to be a NPC then you don't need to write her up as so much but his personality and his skill and her possession and what the NPC knows.

The Saloon Girl in the Rifts New West book is the template I go to for bar/tavern maids. Just replacing the modern skills with ones from the PF setting.

I don't have any of the Rifts books. Not sure I'll ever get any of them. Oh well.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It's fine, you don't need them. There were some pretty good suggestions besides using Rifts as a framework.

Though for bard type NPC's, I'm all about just winging it.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Rifter #18 has a Song Mage class that is basically a mage that uses music to cast magic that might be what your looking for.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Bard OCC pg 19 Adventures on the high seas

saloon girl / barmaid occ pg 123 New west just remove high tech skills and weapon proficiency to adapt it to pfrpg

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”