past 15th level.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

past 15th level.

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

I am wanting everyone's opinion, so don''t just read this, please hit reply. weigh in, don't just linger in the shadows like 50% +/- of you do.

at level 16, should your character be aloud to pick a new class at level one, if the player doesn't want to retire the PC? Or should he or she be allowed to continue playing the class only adding the amount from 15 level (ie, the master collector has to acquire 53,000 points for every level after 16)? and continue to give skills and such? or what? I am trying to come up with some options for my friends.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: past 15th level.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You could continue your class, sure. It's easy to see how much more exp you'd need.

But it's silly to do so unless you're a class that gains spells or psionic powers as it levels. Men of Arms would be much better served by switching to a new class because Hand to hand runs out at 15 and the gained skills from making 80k or so exp, and gaining them every other level is just a slap in the face, really.

Of course, if you want to come up with new abilities for classes to learn past 15, then that works too. If you're past 15, things would likely start getting silly anyway, so using stuff like the enhanced skills or weapons specialization/mastery found in Rifter 30 would be on point, in my opinion.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I wouldn't make it the same amount of EXP to gain level 16 as 15. It should be higher.

-Vek
"I can only assume there are years worth of playing to attain level 15."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowHawk wrote:I am wanting everyone's opinion, so don''t just read this, please hit reply. weigh in, don't just linger in the shadows like 50% +/- of you do.

at level 16, should your character be aloud to pick a new class at level one, if the player doesn't want to retire the PC? Or should he or she be allowed to continue playing the class only adding the amount from 15 level (ie, the master collector has to acquire 53,000 points for every level after 16)? and continue to give skills and such? or what? I am trying to come up with some options for my friends.

Assuming the GM allows for PCs to go past the 15th level, you could, in theory just continue on. The amount of XP though would keep going up and would have to be calculated for each level.
Or of course you can move on to a second class as PF is where the rules for this are from.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd say most folks would continue in the same class. I'd be willing to extend HTH tables above 15th level in that case, with extremely high level combatants improving critical strikes, death blows, and the like.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Don't force a class change, leave that in the player's hands to decide. Keep leveling past 15, but the XP needed doubles for each level. So whatever it took to go through 15 to 16, double it, then keep doubling it for every level after.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only EXP table I can think of, off hand, that goes past L15 is the Dragon Exp table in Dragons & Gods page 17.

You can do the maths of how much (% or Ratio) does each level costs. and then transfer those numbers to the other tables to figure out how much the other exp tables go up with each of the levels above L15.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre

I'd probably take a page from AD&D and just start giving a flat amount per level.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Mark Hall wrote:I'd say most folks would continue in the same class. I'd be willing to extend HTH tables above 15th level in that case, with extremely high level combatants improving critical strikes, death blows, and the like.

I think most would stay in class if the GM was offering awesome high level stuff. By the book, though, it's better to change.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Library Ogre

Yeah, but that's partially because Palladium's classes are heavily front-loaded... the ideal situation is to switch between 6 classes, get to 2nd level in all of them, then find a 7th class and go to infinity level with that one.

All Palladium Articles
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's just meta though. Would be a feat just to explain why you did it.

Library Ogre

Unfortunately, my rules for Hedge Wizards, Lay Priests, and Suppressed Warlock didn't make it into MOM. I had a way for a Knight to be all of them, eating up an enormous amount of skills.

All Palladium Articles
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:Yeah, but that's partially because Palladium's classes are heavily front-loaded... the ideal situation is to switch between 6 classes, get to 2nd level in all of them, then find a 7th class and go to infinity level with that one.

This is why officially you can only change classes once (twice if your changing back), specifically to prevent this exact scenario.

Of course the GM can do what they want. But if they changed the rules to allow something, then the results of that are on them, not the game designers.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Yeah, but that's partially because Palladium's classes are heavily front-loaded... the ideal situation is to switch between 6 classes, get to 2nd level in all of them, then find a 7th class and go to infinity level with that one.

This is why officially you can only change classes once (twice if your changing back), specifically to prevent this exact scenario.

Of course the GM can do what they want. But if they changed the rules to allow something, then the results of that are on them, not the game designers.

That is only if they are using the canon rules in the High seas book. The optional ones (the ones superseded by the published ones when High Seas came out) posted in the Cutting room floor under the title "Dual O.C.C.s" have no such limitation in their text.

However, it is clearer in the the "Dual OCCs" rules, that PCCs could not be a apart of the CC round robin Mack suggested. The Duel OCCs rules mention that they cover changing from OCCs and RCCs in their 1st line, & ISP is not one of the things that increase with the new CC. Even then all the text in the Duel OCCS says that the new CC is an OCC. this is contrasted to that only OCCs are mentioned in the canon text in the High Seas, that can be misconstrued to mean all CC because the writers often misuse the label OCC to mean all CC's.
(Yes, I almost always mention the exclusion of PCCs [even if they are mislabeled for any reason] are specifically excluded from the changing class rules if the changing class rules are mentioned.)
--------------------------------------------

Mark Hall wrote:Unfortunately, my rules for Hedge Wizards, Lay Priests, and Suppressed Warlock didn't make it into MOM. I had a way for a Knight to be all of them, eating up an enormous amount of skills.

Do you know when MoM2 will be considered for publication? Or is MoM1 be the only MoM?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Do you know when MoM2 will be considered for publication? Or is MoM1 be the only MoM?

I have no earthly idea. I did my last work on that nearly a decade ago. Since I touched that, I've lost one wife, changed careers, gained another wife, and a son. There's enough material in what I sent for Palladium to make 3 or 4 books the size of HoM.

All Palladium Articles
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I say at 15 you are allowed to dual class, gaining the occ skills and other skills but not secondary skills advancing as normal.
Hp continues to advance as normal, Upto thirty D six in hp is definitely a cool thing.
Mondo number of skills, lots of benefits.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall, can you pit them on a website or google? sounds interesting.
Library Ogre

They belong to Palladium, as they were part of the MoM submission.

All Palladium Articles
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:They belong to Palladium, as they were part of the MoM submission.

They didn't get used though. You might want to check with Kevin and see if you can.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

ShadowHawk wrote:I am wanting everyone's opinion, so don''t just read this, please hit reply. weigh in, don't just linger in the shadows like 50% +/- of you do.

You could always up date their position a bit...Squires become knights, knights become nobles, nobles become greater, wizards become guild masters, Priests become the highest short of the top position, rangers become outpost captains, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
1stTimeGM
D-Bee

Unread post by 1stTimeGM »

Funny enough, I just saw this available for pre-order...

https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... gicks.html

As for the OP, I'd let the player decide. Then we'd find out if I could make level 16 worth it.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Past 15th level is pretty epic so I would so to go to level 16 you would need %150 of the xp needed to go from lvl 14 to lvl 15.
I would also make up high lvl abilities for them too (Things like failed skill re-rolls and that sort of thing), but none of my players have gotten there so haven't had to yet.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I have 1 character (in rifts, and just a human at that, hah on your MDC!) that made it past 15, but he changed classes since no one wanted to design epic stuff.

Only took like....10 years.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The experience tables are designed to tell you exactly how much experience you need to reach level 16. Even though it lacks a row, knowing the upper limit of 15 does this.

So yeah, get there, enjoy the heightened skill/spell and utter lack of any benefit to your hand to hand abilities.

As for changing OCCs, you can do that at any level.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Certain rccs such as Sea Titan and Dragon continue advancing past 15th level.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Is it really that hard to come up with additional bonuses for combat skills past level 15?

Just because Palladium Books doesn't offer support for characters past this point doesn't mean that no one gets past it. There are many races that live for hundreds (if not thousands) of years that likely have truly ancient members who have reached beyond this plateau of power. Yes... many likely expand their knowledge into new areas (becoming multi-class), but there are likely just as many who don't wish to do so.

Now, assuming that a character just doesn't want to start all over with a new profession, just what are the bonuses past 15th level likely to look like? Some think they should be epic in scale since these characters are of an epic level... but then don't they already have epic level bonuses just by reaching 15th level? The truth is... the closer one is to the top of their game, the smaller any improvement will seem in comparison to when they were just starting out.

For example, a 1st level soldier (with average stats) starts with very few bonuses... so even a small bonus will seem significant. By the time that same soldier reaches 15th level, the accumulation of bonuses are likely to be quite significant... so much so that even a small bonus that seemed significant before will seem almost insignificant now. This is true in all professions... the better one gets, the less improvement one sees (for one is often measuring from where they are rather than where they were).

My point is that combat bonuses don't need to be that big at levels past 15... simply because the amount that can be improved upon is probably not that much to begin with. Even so... a +1 to strike, parry, dodge or roll (or even a small improvement on criticals) will be all that is really needed. Yes... it takes longer to make any improvements and the improvements don't seem as significant as before... but that is life... and even if one changes professions, one isn't likely to see a great improvement in abilities either... just learning more tricks.

In the end, either way should be viable for players. If a player wants to continue past this point without changing the character into something he doesn't want... why not let them and give them something for doing so. Why should only those characters who decide to change into something else be allowed to gain even a small benefit for continuing to be played?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I agree, any numerical gains should be small and few. That's why you give them technique.

Let a fighter type get a power attack, double their damage bonus (Minimum +4) by taking a -4 to strike.

Let a wizard select a number of spells equal to 1/4 their IQ to either cut PPE cost in half, reduce casting time by 1 action (minimum 1) or increase spell strength by 2.

Allow assassin to Death Blow for 1 action if their enemy is unaware or distracted by another opponent...or allow them to ignore AR on any called shot.

Any character might choose Automatic Roll with Impact.

Things like that.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I am just going to throw out a counter idea here.
Why assume that you keep on improving indefinitely? Perhaps you eventually plateau out as a master of a craft and to improve further you will need to either add on additional factors (your extra skills that you keep collecting), or add in a whole new way of looking at the issue (another OCC or five).

Alrik Vas
Knight

We've already thrown that idea in. It's there. /shrug

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

I have one player at level 18, and one at 16 currently. I granted an "epic wish" (item, spell, etc) for each character at 15. I continue the path of progression at higher levels, give bonuses to perception and initiative, and allow players to create things that are not in the books.
For my xp scale you can go here, where I have broken it out to level 25.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

I allowed player to go past 15. I used the dragon table as a guide to see the % between levels and rolled with that. I also allowed them to change classes. I didn't put a limit on how many classes you could learn, but I did require you to be at least level 5 before changing classes and then you start your new class at level -1. having to make them gain enough experience to get to level 3 before they are considered level 1 of that class. (no bonuses at level -1 all class abilities have 50% skill check, half at 0 class abilities have 75% skill check) I also require them to have a teacher or the very less books for the subject (books xp gain is half)

I only ever had two players use either of these, one kept getting to level 5 and changing. the other ended up getting level 40 (granted he played a hatchling dragon starting a few hours old and was 300 years old last we played)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Looking at page 17 of Dragons and Gods would make you think initially that you only knew how much experience it took to reach level 30 (40,000,001) but since we know where level 30 ends, we also know where level 31 begins (60,000,001) and that's just prime.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”