Deathblow on Sneaks

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Deathblow on Sneaks

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

So...does anyone here allow use of this on any hit for someone being sneaky? Not just rolling the requisite number, but just saying, "hey, this guy is ripe for insta-death...let's make it happen."

Most deathblows aren't gained until higher level, which matches up with when you get exceptionally sneaky. It can be powerful, but what do you think?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Deathblow on Sneaks

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there are certainly times where someone can't defend him or herself and you can go with an automatic kill. These are people who are asleep, paralyzed, or otherwise incapacitated. For attacks on creatures that are conscious and motile, I wouldn't allow an automatic kill just because the target is unaware of the attacks. That would make Invisibility very overpowered. There is always a chance that the target might move unexpectedly and the attack will miss.

-Vek
"I quiver to think what this would mean for bow attacks (intended)."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. No, because Death Blow without a number is a specific technique that costs two actions. Granted, since this is the PF forum I don't think any classes or hand to hand actually grant that version of Death Blow (possible exception of the Palladin and their Demon Death Blow, but that's debatable). However it still exists within the Megaverse. Granting Death Blow freely cheapens it for those that do earn the ability (I also fixed it in my home games by adding hand to hand styles that did grant Death Blow without a called number). Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Heroes unlimited hand to hand assassin gains death blow as desired at Level 7.

Giving a few critical not for sneaks seems fair.

I also allow those work Sniper skill to use a death blow on the first shot from cover.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Death blow is one of those things that sounds really awesome but has really bad mechanics associated with it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If you have 2 actions, as you would with an unaware enemy (most likely), why not? It isn't certain death, but it is a smack to the HP, which is pretty lethal.

Though I keep forgetting that there is deathblow at will, as well as on a rolled number.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”