WAY OFF topic question...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

WAY OFF topic question...

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

dragons are warm blooded, mammals in PF as well as Rifts...correct? If so, would they have a baculum? If so, would the draconoids (I think they're called) from the Phase World books?

having an debate with a PC.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: WAY OFF topic question...

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowHawk wrote:dragons are warm blooded, mammals in PF as well as Rifts...correct? If so, would they have a baculum? If so, would the draconoids (I think they're called) from the Phase World books?

They aren't mammals. And it is of note that magic that works on serpents/reptiles works on them. They actually are not any sort of life on our 'tree of life' since as Creatures of Magic they are a separate class of life form from any terrestrial organic life.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the closest equivalent to dragons IRL would be dinosaurs.. reptilian characteristics (and some with a mix of avian in there), but warm blooded. and as Palentological studies have shown, dinosaurs didn't have bones like the Baculum. (a bit of palentological explanation of what they might had instead is here

which mean no they probably don't have baculum's, but like the crocodilia and birds their biology down there may get rather freaky.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowHawk wrote:dragons are warm blooded, mammals in PF as well as Rifts...correct? ...snip

Warmblooded, Yes.
Mammals, No.
Avoids answering the 2nd question.
And avoid the 3rd question also.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

ShadowHawk wrote:dragons are warm blooded, mammals in PF as well as Rifts...correct?

Debatable. Originally, dragons were stated to be mammals, but page 17 of Dragons & Gods says that while they are not reptiles, and are warm-blooded, they are "probably" not mammals, either. The only species to actually be depicted with mammary glands is the Ultucan (D&G, p. 46), but as Creatures of Magic, dragons can't really be held to the normal rules of biology.

ShadowHawk wrote:If so, would they have a baculum? If so, would the draconoids (I think they're called) from the Phase World books?

Unknown. There is no evidence that any of these creatures even possesses genitalia. In the case of Draconids (all bipeds, really), I would just assume that they're anatomically similar to humans.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

ShadowHawk wrote:dragons are warm blooded, mammals in PF as well as Rifts...correct? If so, would they have a baculum? If so, would the draconoids (I think they're called) from the Phase World books?

Dragons are monotremes. Their closest relatives on modern earth are platypuses and echidnas.

Since monotremes on Earth do not have baculum, neither do dragons. I wouldn't know about draconoids... they LOOK like dragons, but are not necessarily related to them.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Do dragons revert to their natural form if they die? Or does a limb, if it is severed?

Since, even if they lacked a baculum in their reptilian form, presumably they could have one if they became a dog or something.

Draconids appear to be chest, or at least the females. I am not displeased.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

:ok: thanks guys.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

The description for the Draconoids says that they are mammals that "give birth" but they "look" reptilian
The Dragon Has Spoken
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Snake Eyes wrote:The description for the Draconoids says that they are mammals that "give birth" but they "look" reptilian

which would make them comparable to Synapsids.. given their very reptilian traits, comparable to pelycosaur's
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

GM's call.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”