Be careful what you pray for or about

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

smkeyes
Wanderer

Be careful what you pray for or about

Unread post by smkeyes »

In a recent game Set in Bizantium where the player of our Bizantium Marine of the Valgorian Guard is in the church and praying to Algor and bemoaning our inept king and in the process asking Algor why he can't fix the king or let him inherit the throne and be the High Father of the church of Algor. This last for about 2 minutes when the character again asks Algor why cant he fix the King a second time and suddenly the GM stands up points to the player and says "Your the woman for the job!" in a deep voice. Needless to say the PC had been male up to that point. The player pantomimes checking his body and confirms that the PC is now female and then says "The king is behind me isn't he?" while looking back.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Be careful what you pray for or about

Unread post by eliakon »

Classic
(yes, be very careful what you wish for....you might get it)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, if I'm reading this right, the question is "Why can't you, Algor, either 'fix' the king (whatever that means) or allow me, Valgorian Guardsman, inherit the throne and be the High Father of the Church of Algor". Algor's response is to make the character a woman. That doesn't make any sense at all.

-Vek
"If he made the character the Kings's baby son, then killed all of the other heirs, maybe it'd make sense."
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

No the King is also the High Father of the church of Algor. Now Algor is the sea God and the King is afraid of water as well as being an inept King. Who would rather throw a party than rule his kingdom. Algor takes it that the marine is criticizing him. So he makes the character a woman and that is her job to straighten out the King.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:Well, if I'm reading this right, the question is "Why can't you, Algor, either 'fix' the king (whatever that means) or allow me, Valgorian Guardsman, inherit the throne and be the High Father of the Church of Algor". Algor's response is to make the character a woman. That doesn't make any sense at all.

-Vek
"If he made the character the Kings's baby son, then killed all of the other heirs, maybe it'd make sense."

The old saying goes... 'Behind any great man stands a great woman.'
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps with some worshippers thinking of Algor as female, he is open to swapping genders himself and thinks his worshippers should be to?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

smkeyes wrote:In a recent game Set in Bizantium where the player of our Bizantium Marine of the Valgorian Guard is in the church and praying to Algor and bemoaning our inept king and in the process asking Algor why he can't fix the king or let him inherit the throne and be the High Father of the church of Algor. This last for about 2 minutes when the character again asks Algor why cant he fix the King a second time and suddenly the GM stands up points to the player and says "Your the woman for the job!" in a deep voice. Needless to say the PC had been male up to that point. The player pantomimes checking his body and confirms that the PC is now female and then says "The king is behind me isn't he?" while looking back.

:lol: Very amusing. I'm sure King Raedean IV will be helpless in his (her) arms.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there might be a writing error here or just a misunderstanding. I though the statement:

and in the process asking Algor why he can't fix the king or let him inherit the throne and be the High Father of the church of Algor

was the PC asking Algor why Algor can't fix the king, etc. Is it supposed to mean that the PC wanted to know why he, the PC, can't fix the king? If that's the case then you just have a very simple, archaic gender role response to the request. It's rather difficult to believe that the king, who is presumably not hurting for female companionship, is going to be so infatuated with the now female PC that he will heed her counsel and improve. It's quite ludicrous and I can't imagine why Algor would do it. I guess he just likes to listen to the very real concerns of a devout follower and to respond by forcing an unwanted sex change.

-Vek
"I didn't know Algor was a 13-year old boy!"

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”