Immobilize

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Immobilize

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is a great, almost overpowered, spell. It functions as an offensive spell to, you know, immobilize opponents. It also is a good barrier as nothing will pass through it. Even saving against the spell only shortens the duration of the effect. But there are questions about its function:

1. The spell description says it halts EVERYTHING in its cone. It specifically mentions speech and movement. Does that mean the people inside can't breathe?

2. It says anyone entering or touching the cone is also immobilized. So if I touch it does the effect of the cone extend around me or just immobilize me? If it doesn't extend to me as well, could someone attack me while I'm immobilized? If it does extend around me, does it then extend to someone who touches me? That would allow people to daisy chain the spell an almost infinite distance.

3. If it's cast on something larger than its area, say a dragon or a sea monster, does it immobilize that creature entirely, or just that part of the creature? If its just the part, can the creature wrench itself free or is it stuck like flypaper? Also, could you attack the creature while it's head or limb is trapped by the spell?

4. Is it stationary where placed or attached to something? If you cast it on the prow of a sailing vessel, would it stay there, or would it immobilize the vessel? Could you use it in mid air to trap flying creatures in mid flight?

-Vek
"I know you guys are tired of my magic questions."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Immobilize

Unread post by kiralon »

Well, this is a great, almost overpowered, spell. It functions as an offensive spell to, you know, immobilize opponents. It also is a good barrier as nothing will pass through it. Even saving against the spell only shortens the duration of the effect. But there are questions about its function:

This way I have played it (First Ed mind you)

1. The spell description says it halts EVERYTHING in its cone. It specifically mentions speech and movement. Does that mean the people inside can't breathe?
Time Stops so they don't need to breathe

2. It says anyone entering or touching the cone is also immobilized. So if I touch it does the effect of the cone extend around me or just immobilize me? If it doesn't extend to me as well, could someone attack me while I'm immobilized? If it does extend around me, does it then extend to someone who touches me? That would allow people to daisy chain the spell an almost infinite distance.
I make it so if someone touches it they get a saving throw with a bonus, and if they fail they get sucked into the radius of effect, if there is not enough space for them to be sucked in it won't effect them and the immobilise will be an impenetrable wall.

3. If it's cast on something larger than its area, say a dragon or a sea monster, does it immobilize that creature entirely, or just that part of the creature? If its just the part, can the creature wrench itself free or is it stuck like flypaper? Also, could you attack the creature while it's head or limb is trapped by the spell?
If the Target is bigger then the area effect the spell fails, just like trying to put a wall where there is a magic wall already

4. Is it stationary where placed or attached to something?
Physics ignoringly stationary
If you cast it on the prow of a sailing vessel, would it stay there
If the mage believes it does yes otherwise there would be other issues (see below about planet speed), but only to catch things smaller than its area effect e.g it wouldn't trap the boat.
or would it immobilize the vessel?
nope, can't effect something that big.
Could you use it in mid air to trap flying creatures in mid flight?
If they are small enough yes.

-Vek
"I know you guys are tired of my magic questions."
Never as they make people think

What my players do is immobilise someone, then shoot arrows, throw rocks and that sort of thing, when the immobilise comes down the target gets suddenly pounded by multiple attacks and usually dies, but try not to do it as it gives the enemy the idea and karma is sometimes not your friend.

Also the palladium planet is zooming through space, if you immobilise something on earth truly, (As passengers on Earth we are all carried around the sun at a mean velocity of 66,600 mph. Add to that dizzying notion the fact that we are spinning at the equator at a 1,000 miles-per-hour clip) that something is projectile getting hit by a planet at 66000 mph or shoots off into space at 66000mph as earth leaves it behind. The immobilise has to be relative to the planet speed.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, the spell as written, specifically rules out the arrows in waiting tactic. It states that objects such as arrows will drop to the ground when the spell is over.

-Vek
"Now go back and bring back to life all NPC's who were killed in this fashion. ;)"
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, the spell as written, specifically rules out the arrows in waiting tactic. It states that objects such as arrows will drop to the ground when the spell is over.

-Vek
"Now go back and bring back to life all NPC's who were killed in this fashion. ;)"

First Ed version didn't hehe
but it also a good spell to hold up gates, slow avalanches and that sort of thing.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I looked in my 1st edition book and that line is there.

-Vek
"It's really good to stop bleeding."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

it does too, and I have read that passage a thousand times lol
tmbn
Wanderer

Unread post by tmbn »

I agree with answers above.

In general immobilize is not used that much because you cant attack the ones in the immobilize field. Becuase everything will be immobilized. So on persons, creatures Paralyze bolt is better. Because then you can attack the poor victim just standing there.

I think Immobilize is well balanced in the 1 ED book. compared to River of Lava :)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

IIRC under ship to ship combat it says you cant immoblize ships (as theyre too big IIRC??).

Should help with Q3.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”