Tombs of Gersidi Maps

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Tombs of Gersidi Maps

Unread post by Hotrod »

At Kiralon's request, I'm creating some simple revisions of the Tombs of Gersidi underground maps. I've never done much with tactical or dungeon maps, so this is a bit of a learning process. I'm trying for a faithful reproduction of all the information in the original adventure maps, with a few subtle additions. For example, I want the map to show staircases leading up or down.

Here's my first draft of the 1st underground level. It lacks a legend and scale; I'll add that in later (or just include it in the Level 2 map)

As always, critiques and suggestions are quite welcome. I could probably make something fancier, but I'm taking this in baby steps.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Tombs of Gersidi Maps

Unread post by kiralon »

Very Nice
One thing that always bugged me about the tombs of gersidi was the door placement, did you want to fix that up (in doorways rather the 3 feet from where you would normally put a door)
And would it be possible to have the surrounding terrain black and red (as in not the corridors and rooms but the solid areas) as that would match the book colour better.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The door placement kinda bugged me too. I'll adjust it. The wall texture shouldn't be a problem; I'll see if I can find some rock textures with red.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

How's this?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:How's this?

Sweet
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I've been wondering how to show the secret passages; the canon map just has a simple text symbol. I'm thinking of a thin wall extension, but that might look too much like the doors. One potential issue is that secret passages sometimes seem to lead to other levels in the text description, which might require something like a trap door. Tricky.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I love you, for showing some love to the Vampires that weren't the pawns of a vampire intelligence, to the original Palladium Vampires. Long live The Gersidi!
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Maybe a door with an s through it for secret doors on the same level, a trapdoor with an s for going down and a ladder with an s going up.

and
I agree zer0kay, I think the original vamps were better (but at least in 2nd ed they don't glitter :lol: )
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Heck yeah, sparkly vampires suck (pun intended)! #Team Jacob

*turns in Man Card(TM)*

Aaanyway, I like the S idea, though the doors are a bit thin to get decent amounts of pixels for letters. I'll try out some variations.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

kiralon wrote:Maybe a door with an s through it for secret doors on the same level, a trapdoor with an s for going down and a ladder with an s going up.

and
I agree zer0kay, I think the original vamps were better (but at least in 2nd ed they don't glitter :lol: )

What's wrong with glittering vampires? They're what elementary school children use on project, where do you think that annoying stuff comes from?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hotrod wrote:Heck yeah, sparkly vampires suck (pun intended)! #Team Jacob

*turns in Man Card(TM)*

Aaanyway, I like the S idea, though the doors are a bit thin to get decent amounts of pixels for letters. I'll try out some variations.

:thwak:
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Not sure how I missed this thread.. I'm working on the update for the Tombs and have been thinking of putting together a package of battle maps to use with minis for this...

Zer0 Kay wrote:I love you, for showing some love to the Vampires that weren't the pawns of a vampire intelligence, to the original Palladium Vampires. Long live The Gersidi!

There is a canon way in PF 2E to address Vampires without a vampire intelligence, and that's what I'll be doing with the Gersidi vampires.. 8-)
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Not sure how I missed this thread.. I'm working on the update for the Tombs and have been thinking of putting together a package of battle maps to use with minis for this...

Zer0 Kay wrote:I love you, for showing some love to the Vampires that weren't the pawns of a vampire intelligence, to the original Palladium Vampires. Long live The Gersidi!

There is a canon way in PF 2E to address Vampires without a vampire intelligence, and that's what I'll be doing with the Gersidi vampires.. 8-)

8) Hmm, the Madman has possibly revealed a spoiler to his updated Gersidi adventure.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

MADMANMIKE wrote:Not sure how I missed this thread.. I'm working on the update for the Tombs and have been thinking of putting together a package of battle maps to use with minis for this...

I love you too, for bringing them back. Are you going to have death is and the amber sword of doubling in there... Even though they were redone in Blethorad?

It is odd though because on one hand the Gerseidi vamps are weaker than the newer PB vamps but they're traditional and self directing. I'd rather be one of their spawn than a spawn of an unoriginal Old One spawn who must have met the Gerseidi and decided to make its pawns like them.

Gerseidi = Original
VI vamps = Fakes, similacrum, a xerox of a xerox... But with VI boosts. Old One (alien intelligences) spawn's minions "hey those Gerseidi have a good idea, I'm gonna share it with my siblings, we'll just tweak it a little."
MADMANMIKE

If anyone is going to GenCon, I have three games on the registry, all playtests for the Tombs..

The Smuggler's Pass - RPG1691751
The Secrets of Castle Instax - RPG1691752
The Tombs of Gersidi - RPG1691753
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

:cry: Why!? Why am I stuck here on the West coast!?!
MADMANMIKE

Zer0 Kay wrote::cry: Why!? Why am I stuck here on the West coast!?!

If you've got the time and patience, you can take AmTrak from LA to Indianapolis for a little over $100..
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

MADMANMIKE wrote:If anyone is going to GenCon, I have three games on the registry, all playtests for the Tombs..

Glad I'm going to be there to take a look see.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

22 hr flight time is just a bit too much unfortunately.
Good luck to those going!
MADMANMIKE

kiralon wrote:22 hr flight time is just a bit too much unfortunately.

I've taken Coach trains to the Open House a few times; the seats are more comfortable than a plane or bus, and there's plenty of room to go for a walk and stretch your legs... Don't think of it as 22 hours cramped on a plane, think of it as a day to work on characters, nap, and see the country.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote::cry: Why!? Why am I stuck here on the West coast!?!

If you've got the time and patience, you can take AmTrak from LA to Indianapolis for a little over $100..

Dude, five kids... Not happening, unless it's within a 30 min driving range :'(
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
kiralon wrote:22 hr flight time is just a bit too much unfortunately.

I've taken Coach trains to the Open House a few times; the seats are more comfortable than a plane or bus, and there's plenty of room to go for a walk and stretch your legs... Don't think of it as 22 hours cramped on a plane, think of it as a day to work on characters, nap, and see the country.

Not much to see when flying over the pacific, and being taller than average it is a real pain flying, takes me a few days to unkink myself.
Wish PB would come to Australia for one of the conventions here, it definitely needs more exposure over here.
You should see if you can record the sessions and put em up on you tube or twitch. (not likely for a playtest I know)
RavenStarver
Explorer

Unread post by RavenStarver »

Sorry for being the noob, but what book are these maps from?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

RavenStarver wrote:Sorry for being the noob, but what book are these maps from?

IIRC, they're in the 1st Ed PFRPG main book.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

they are indeed, and you can get it quickly from drive thru rpg
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Dungeons are never big enough, I always thought it would be cool to join with the Gersidis and help expand the tombs even larger, like dig additional levels, widen it, reinforce the walls, etc.

Vampires who could make you immortal are much cooler allies than a bunch of orc/wolfen working with greedy human dark priest and diabolist to gain riches for themself. They can't gain me immortality.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

MADMANMIKE wrote:If anyone is going to GenCon, I have three games on the registry, all playtests for the Tombs..

Bummer, can't make it to GenCon this year.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

MADMANMIKE

Myrrhibis wrote:

Bummer, can't make it to GenCon this year.

Sorry to hear that.

There are still 3 tickets for The Smuggler's Pass on Thursday (which may evolve into The Old Kingdom Lowlands), and 2 tickets available for The Tombs of Gersidi on Saturday; these games are a progression, so you could very well play the same characters in each game, only with levels raised by Saturday.
Axelmania
Knight

Hotrod do you plan to set this in the same time as the original campaign, the past, the future?

The cool thing about the adventure is you can say it happened and after the invaders were expelled it spurred a complete redesign to keep the incursion from happening in the future by increasing security. More rooms, more trap doors, more deeply buried treasure, stronger grabby corpses, more skeleton archers.

Best thing about ToG in PRPG is how it makes skeleton archers canon. That way you can give bows to minions you make from 'animated dead'.

I was always sore in Diablo 2 that I could fight skeleton archers but never make any of my own, so I will get that here.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Axelmania wrote:Hotrod do you plan to set this in the same time as the original campaign, the past, the future?

The cool thing about the adventure is you can say it happened and after the invaders were expelled it spurred a complete redesign to keep the incursion from happening in the future by increasing security. More rooms, more trap doors, more deeply buried treasure, stronger grabby corpses, more skeleton archers.

Best thing about ToG in PRPG is how it makes skeleton archers canon. That way you can give bows to minions you make from 'animated dead'.

I was always sore in Diablo 2 that I could fight skeleton archers but never make any of my own, so I will get that here.

The map is a straight re-creation of what was in the original Palladium Fantasy adventure; it's just spruced up to look nicer.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

and it certainly does so far
Axelmania
Knight

Is that allowed? With so much changed about the world, seems like the 2nd ed Gersidi should be more complex as well. We need to dig deeper.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

So do we have a rough time frame for a possible sighting of the Tombs in one of PFRPG's books? Just curious. I have loved the Tombs since I first went through them as a player nearly 20 yrs ago.
Axelmania
Knight

As a fan of necromancers, I love that it has skeleton archers, settling the question that yes, bow and arrow are among the ancient weapons you can equip Animated Dead with, and presumably also golems/mummies/zombies.

Course they wouldn't have the WP so it wouldn't be very fast or accurate but it's still pretty cool to have ranged attacks for your summons so they don't get picked off without being able to fight back.

Presumably this also means you can have skeletons fight with slings.

The rules that animated dead and mummies can't use guns (zombies can, but with big penalties) seems very strange to me though since I think I'd personally find a gun much easier to use than a bow and arrow.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Marcethus wrote:

So do we have a rough time frame for a possible sighting of the Tombs in one of PFRPG's books? Just curious. I have loved the Tombs since I first went through them as a player nearly 20 yrs ago.

Hell, I'd be perfectly willing to purchase this as a stand-alone product over on DriveThruRPG.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Marcethus
Champion

Myrrhibis wrote:
Marcethus wrote:

Hell, I'd be perfectly willing to purchase this as a stand-alone product over on DriveThruRPG.

Or even as a hardcopy stand alone.
MADMANMIKE

Alright, I ran three games at Gencon, four hours each, all designed to be part of the Tombs of Gersidi manuscript. All of the player reviews were positive and on Friday I actually had a four players from Thursday try to get back in (two did as I had two extra characters).

I learned a few hard lessons GMing the Tombs, and I have a clear path to a manuscript, but I'm sorry to say that this has to go back on the back burner for a while. If you've read the latest updates, you'll have seen that Carmen is developing a Rifts Board Game.. what they didn't mention is that I'm doing all the board art. This is good as it will be experience for making the maps for the Tombs, but bad because it's a substantial project that will delay my transition back to writing.

But it's much closer to reality now than it was before GenCon.
Marcethus
Champion

Thanks for the Update, while it sucks that it delays the Tombs anything that in the end makes it better is a good thing.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm working on a way to send my kids group through the tombs. Having your map on the screen while I read through the adventure made everything so much easier.
Are you planning to make the rest of the levels as well?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I'm working on a way to send my kids group through the tombs. Having your map on the screen while I read through the adventure made everything so much easier.
Are you planning to make the rest of the levels as well?

Unfortunately, when my laptop went bust about six months back, I lost the source files, so I'll have to recreate them from scratch. I'm pretty busy right now with my mapping, working on a joint project with Glen Evans and a paid commission (plus some home remodeling, 4 kids, a PhD dissertation, and 5 part-time jobs). I'll get to it eventually, but unless you're wanting to commission me, this will be low on the priority list.
I did find this draft of Level 3, though.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hotrod wrote:Unfortunately, when my laptop went bust about six months back, I lost the source files, so I'll have to recreate them from scratch. I'm pretty busy right now with my mapping, working on a joint project with Glen Evans and a paid commission (plus some home remodeling, 4 kids, a PhD dissertation, and 5 part-time jobs). I'll get to it eventually, but unless you're wanting to commission me, this will be low on the priority list.
I did find this draft of Level 3, though.

Is that all? Slacker!!
Just kidding man, be well!! Using your Valley map finally last game and also next game, so if you want to see one of your maps in action.... 9p Eastern on the 28th... Twitch link in my signature.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm not in a big hurry. I want them to be at least level 6 before they head there. They're only level 2 now. If you haven't returned to the maps by the time I start getting serious about sending them there, we'll talk.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”