New system for Rifts Announcement

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

New system for Rifts Announcement

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kevin Siembieda wrote:Rifts® is heating up

There has been a flurry of interest in Rifts® by third parties these past few months. Nothing big like a Walt Disney movie yet (waaahh, are they ever going to make a Rifts® movie?!), but a few things we think you’ll find fun and exciting.

Something new and exciting. In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks. This is only the second time in Palladium’s history that an outside company will create new game material under a different set of rules. Rumor Squashing: No, Palladium is NOT going to stop publishing Rifts®, nor change to a completely different set of rules. Far from it. In fact, Palladium expects to release six new Rifts® titles in 2015 and 98% of all Rifts® titles are in stock and available for purchase right now! The idea is that by offering Rifts® via another game company’s set of popular rules it creates a parallel dimension of gaming enjoyment. An expanding Megaverse®, if you will. This is a bit of an experiment, but we are excited to see how it all unfolds.

I apologize that I cannot reveal who these partners are or when you can expect their products, at least not yet. These other companies will make the big, full announcements when they are ready; probably sometime over the next 4-10 months. When they do, I’ll be sure to let you know and provide more details.

So, reading this, is anyone else thinking about the implications for Fantasy?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: New system for Rifts Announcement

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm gearing up to start a new fantasy campaign. I was toying with the idea of using pathfinder but in the palladium world. We'll figure it out this Sunday.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think the implications for all of Palladium's game lines are very interesting, but only in an unofficial way. I expect we'll see the "no conversions" flag having to be raised constantly.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

Looks like PFRPG is still the red headed stepchild
:? :cry: :?
wodens_blade
D-Bee

Unread post by wodens_blade »

well..i am NOT interested. it seems like some company will use the setting to promote their game. while I would be excited in having new source material...new adventures, anything, having to buy something with rules I have no interest in being exposed to does nothing for me.
NOW if they are publishing RIFTS adventures with the Palladium rules? then i'm excited.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this either. Definitely good overall, but for the PFRPG line, it's kind of "meh". I like Rifts, play it occasionally but I don't see myself buying it.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

No, it's the neglected middle child. Rifts precious little spoiled brat of a baby! HU and Robotech are the sort of like the two oldest twins...BtS 2nd ed and 1st ed, ninjas and superspies, system failure, ATB/TMNT, ETC are the step children.

Well, at least we know who's publishing it. Hopefully they won't make everything stupid with MDC. That is not meant as a slam, by the way! I like Robotech because MDC works well within that setting, it is not ridiculously high, nor to the point where it is dysfunctional. I dislike Rifts because of the idiotic amounts of MDC.

Actually, I take that back. I dislike Rifts because everyone I have gamed with in Rifts, with 3 exceptions, has tried to out munchkin the everyone else playing instead of picking something that would actually COMPLIMENT the team, that and the fact that their answer to everything was to blow stuff up. I simply got until I hated the setting. Shawn, Marc, and Alex are the 3 exceptions to the rule. But they were like, "Yeah, we are gaming with munchkins." That was when we introduced the rule of on MDC worlds 1 MDC = 10 SDC. They formed their own group after they heard that.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Mark Hall wrote:

There has been a flurry of interest in Rifts® by third parties these past few months. Nothing big like a Walt Disney movie yet (waaahh, are they ever going to make a Rifts® movie?!), but a few things we think you’ll find fun and exciting.

Something new and exciting. In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks. This is only the second time in Palladium’s history that an outside company will create new game material under a different set of rules. Rumor Squashing: No, Palladium is NOT going to stop publishing Rifts®, nor change to a completely different set of rules. Far from it. In fact, Palladium expects to release six new Rifts® titles in 2015 and 98% of all Rifts® titles are in stock and available for purchase right now! The idea is that by offering Rifts® via another game company’s set of popular rules it creates a parallel dimension of gaming enjoyment. An expanding Megaverse®, if you will. This is a bit of an experiment, but we are excited to see how it all unfolds.

I apologize that I cannot reveal who these partners are or when you can expect their products, at least not yet. These other companies will make the big, full announcements when they are ready; probably sometime over the next 4-10 months. When they do, I’ll be sure to let you know and provide more details.

Nope...

This just means that PB will have extra $$$ to not spend on the fantasy line.. Nothing new here folks!
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Mark Hall wrote:

Nope...

This just means that PB will have extra $$$ to not spend on the fantasy line.. Nothing new here folks!
wodens_blade
D-Bee

Unread post by wodens_blade »

pblackcrow wrote:
Actually, I take that back. I dislike Rifts because everyone I have gamed with in Rifts, with 3 exceptions, has tried to out munchkin the everyone else playing instead of picking something that would actually COMPLIMENT the team, that and the fact that their answer to everything was to blow stuff up. I simply got until I hated the setting. Shawn, Marc, and Alex are the 3 exceptions to the rule. But they were like, "Yeah, we are gaming with munchkins." That was when we introduced the rule of on MDC worlds 1 MDC = 10 SDC. They formed their own group after they heard that.

sounds like you just had a bad experience with power-gamers. nothing is wrong with that either, the world isn't a fair place, some guys are pro-boxers and some drive trucks, the boxer is probably better in fights. I think it adds a tinge of realism if you have a lowly operator in a group of cyborg-soldiers and glitterboys.
Role play it! you could be a glitterboy pilot pacifist and refuse to fight, you could defend bad-guys from your gun-crazy brothers. all things are story hooks.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

wodens_blade wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:

sounds like you just had a bad experience with power-gamers. nothing is wrong with that either, the world isn't a fair place, some guys are pro-boxers and some drive trucks, the boxer is probably better in fights. I think it adds a tinge of realism if you have a lowly operator in a group of cyborg-soldiers and glitterboys.
Role play it! you could be a glitterboy pilot pacifist and refuse to fight, you could defend bad-guys from your gun-crazy brothers. all things are story hooks.

Bad? Try a constant pain for 7 years, and it wasn't just 1 group of players it was everyone of them, it got me to where I absolutely hate playing Rifts and where I still will not play unless the MDC to SDC ratio is greatly reduce.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Eh, I'm ok with it. Bad Beagle has its own fantasy line. I'm thinking it won't be difficult to simply import the new Rifts rules into Fantasy. That's the whole idea of the system, isn't it, to be a universal system you can customize to a wide range of settings? Such a move could be a nice way to use all these new, fancy paper minis.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

I wonder if they will be pushing new material or just reprinting existing world books converted to their system?
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Suicycho wrote:I wonder if they will be pushing new material or just reprinting existing world books converted to their system?

Both i would imagine.
They are going to have to at least touch on the iconic classes from RUE.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Suicycho wrote:I wonder if they will be pushing new material or just reprinting existing world books converted to their system?

Both i would imagine.

I see no need to buy existing material from a different game line.

However, when they publish NEW material, it will be worth purchasing and should be no problem for experienced GM’s to easily adapt to palladium rules.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Suicycho wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

I see no need to buy existing material from a different game line.

However, when they publish NEW material, it will be worth purchasing and should be no problem for experienced GM’s to easily adapt to palladium rules.
Actually having the core material from the first SvW book will go a long way to making the changes simpler (existing benchmarks and all).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I've got the SW core book and the Fantasy Companion book. They're not bad, but I didn't find them to be particularly compelling, either.

The thing that I really like about SW is that the mechanics allow for fast resolution of combat so you can get back to the important stuff like, err, non-combat.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, in the April 19th update it said Rifts Earth (guessing a main book) and "adventure sourcebooks." I could be wrong about its meaning or usage usage, but sounds more like adventure scenarios (possibly quite detailed) which is something Palladium doesn't do much of. Just my interpretation. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre

Prysus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, in the April 19th update it said Rifts Earth (guessing a main book) and "adventure sourcebooks." I could be wrong about its meaning or usage usage, but sounds more like adventure scenarios (possibly quite detailed) which is something Palladium doesn't do much of. Just my interpretation. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Which would be in keeping with the general output of smaller presses like Evil Beagle. However, that could still see things converted... tossing in Wolfen, or goblins, or trolls, or what have you.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Prysus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

Which would be in keeping with the general output of smaller presses like Evil Beagle. However, that could still see things converted... tossing in Wolfen, or goblins, or trolls, or what have you.

All Palladium Articles
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Prysus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

Seems like this might be pretty limited then.

There are a lot of More O.C.C.s outside the mainbook then in. Perhaps mostly, Coalition themed/based adventures then?

I like Savage Worlds as a system, but I'm curious to see how the SW system deals with all the (good/bad) things that makes it Rifts. Character classes are handled more simply in Savage for instance-but OCCs are more of an old school approach to character class/ which is something I really like.

The die mechanics in Savage have more to do with rolling for success and as one builds up skill improving the chance of success by moving up die (d4 to d6; d6 to d8 etc.).

To be honest at first I was excited about this... Now I'm kind of on the fence... I'll just take the wait and see approach.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Lori wrote:
Prysus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Both i would imagine.

Seems like this might be pretty limited then.

There are a lot of More O.C.C.s outside the mainbook then in. Perhaps mostly, Coalition themed/based adventures then?

I like Savage Worlds as a system, but I'm curious to see how the SW system deals with all the (good/bad) things that makes it Rifts. Character classes are handled more simply in Savage for instance-but OCCs are more of an old school approach to character class/ which is something I really like.

The die mechanics in Savage have more to do with rolling for success and as one builds up skill improving the chance of success by moving up die (d4 to d6; d6 to d8 etc.).

To be honest at first I was excited about this... Now I'm kind of on the fence... I'll just take the wait and see approach.

Sean Patrick Fannon (lead designer of the project) has stated there will be a "guide" to "converting" other occ's.
I would also assume there will be the occasional additional professions added in the adventure scenario books (there are other Iconic classes that will be in high demand by fans... Mystic Knights comes to mind for instance)
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Ivebeen reading the sw rules and i wondering how the magic system will work for techno wizards.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Probably a variation on the AB: Weird Science.
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Riftmaker wrote:Ivebeen reading the sw rules and i wondering how the magic system will work for techno wizards.

Yes, very curious as well.

I'm not familiar with any sort of magic crafting with SW.
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Damian Magecraft wrote:Probably a variation on the AB: Weird Science.

I agree. It seems the most logical conversion to me, though imperfect.

Lori wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:Ivebeen reading the sw rules and i wondering how the magic system will work for techno wizards.

Yes, very curious as well.

I'm not familiar with any sort of magic crafting with SW.

There are a variety of alchemical systems that I'm aware of, though they merely allow one to produce expendable items etc. True crafting I'm not so sure.
V/R,

Dark

Adventure is someone else in deep ****, far far away.
If you want to learn something new, read an old book.
Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
My Keiretsu is bigger than yours.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”