Palladium Noob

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vilechylde
D-Bee

Palladium Noob

Unread post by Vilechylde »

Hi! I got the Fantasy Role-Playing game as my first venture into Palladium and I was really hoping on running a game on the system. I've GM'ed well in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and I think I can convert fairly easily.

I really hope to become one of the MA's for Nebraska and Iowa as there are a lot of good conventions around here. So far with what I'm reading it seems a lot more simple than D&D 3.5 ... something my players can appreciate. A friend of mine told me of the system as an alternative to D&D and so far, I think I can roll with this.

What do you suggest for a GM starting out on this system? There's nobody really here to run the campaign other than myself, but I was hoping to play the game. I live in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area of Nebraska.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Palladium Noob

Unread post by kiralon »

Really depends on what books you have or can get.
Main book
Dragons and Gods
Monsters and Animals
are very handy general reference books
Old Ones and Western Empire are good for adventuring
High Seas for ship information
Isle at the edge of the world is a good campaign, even though it is first ed it converts easily enough.

It is a much looser free form rpg, and sometimes the rules don't make sense and/or contradict themselves, so some house rules will usually be created. There is a lot of info about that on the forums if you can be bothered looking.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Vilechylde wrote:What do you suggest for a GM starting out on this system? There's nobody really here to run the campaign other than myself, but I was hoping to play the game. I live in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area of Nebraska.

Welcome to the boards!

Easy answer for a new Palladium GM wanting to play some games - come to the Palladium Open House next month! Noobs are welcome!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

Welcome! There are so many diverse aspects of the game, you can try out a lot of different flavors.

Pick a town or storyline from the books that you like, and perhaps start with a small mercenary company doing jobs. You could try a group of treasure hunters in the Swamps or play as Coalition Soldiers on an important mission. I like that as the GM I can introduce aspects from other systems, books, or my own crazy mind into the storyline. The framework is built to accept the creative input that you want to put into it. Have at it! :)

Elly_G
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
Vilechylde
D-Bee

I got the core Fantasy book to test drive some things. I know I won't be using insanity rules unless we have a character who likes drinking.

Od: Is the Palladium open house in Nebraska?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

First off, welcome to the boards! As for your question, I'd think about what kind of game/campaign you want to run, as what kind of setting appeals to you and your players. The nice thing about Palladium Fantasy is that it provides a diverse setting. Each region of the world has its particular themes, and there's a lot of fun to be had exploring the regional sourcebooks.

Mechanics-wise, my advice is to take a similar approach to Kevin Siembieda when it comes to combat: keep things moving. If someone wants to do something that's a bit debatable rules-wise, settle it with a dice roll or a coin flip rather than a debate.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Vilechylde wrote:Hi! I got the Fantasy Role-Playing game as my first venture into Palladium and I was really hoping on running a game on the system. I've GM'ed well in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and I think I can convert fairly easily.

I really hope to become one of the MA's for Nebraska and Iowa as there are a lot of good conventions around here. So far with what I'm reading it seems a lot more simple than D&D 3.5 ... something my players can appreciate. A friend of mine told me of the system as an alternative to D&D and so far, I think I can roll with this.

What do you suggest for a GM starting out on this system? There's nobody really here to run the campaign other than myself, but I was hoping to play the game. I live in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area of Nebraska.

Welcome to the boards! Lots of online and play by post games, and if you really want to dive in headfirst come to the Open House!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Vilechylde wrote:I got the core Fantasy book to test drive some things. I know I won't be using insanity rules unless we have a character who likes drinking.

Od: Is the Palladium open house in Nebraska?

No, the Open House is in Michigan.

If you're looking to play locally, a good way to start is check out local comic book stores; there tends to be a fair crossover with gamers, so it's a good place to start. You might also check universities... UNO and IWU will both, possibly, have a gaming culture that you can tap into (and if you happen to be an adult who doesn't mind cooking large amounts of relatively cheap food, you will have a very loyal group in college students; my ex and I would host our gaming group, and make something like spaghetti or, if folks would chip in cash, a turkey and mashed potatoes. They get real food, we got gaming).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Vilechylde
D-Bee

Well, I want to run something simple to get people used to the system before I run something really cool. I think I'll just stick to fantasy and then go into modern. I wanted to make a difficult campaign which was similar to Saw by letting the team run through a trap-laden house with people trying to kill them.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Vilechylde wrote:Hi! I got the Fantasy Role-Playing game as my first venture into Palladium and I was really hoping on running a game on the system. I've GM'ed well in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and I think I can convert fairly easily.

Welcome to the PFRPG and the boards!

I would say it's a bit more strait forward vs. 3.5.

One thing you might wanna do is take an encounter that you are familiar running in 3.5 and try to recreate it using Palladium rules. That should give you a good idea on how the differences and how the two systems function. I also recommend trying to get a good feel for how the core system does and does not work for you. Lots of people house rule things and there are some situational gaps in the rules that aren't covered or are mentioned in areas you wouldn't think to look for right off the bat..

Aside from that enjoy and have fun!
Vilechylde
D-Bee

I'm really glad to get this input. I'm likely going to have to put in some house. I was suggested to get Beyond The Supernatural as a series for my concept. I wanted to do something like the first Phantasmagoria game and have people trapped in a mansion with critters and traps.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Hail and well met.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”