Do summoned enteties level up with his summoner

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lodisy
D-Bee

Do summoned enteties level up with his summoner

Unread post by Lodisy »

So, I have another summoner related question. My GM has been quite permissible regarding my summoning shenanigans. My Gargoyle somewhat eclipses the remaining members of my party and even as just my summoner I'm pretty sure I could take some other members of my party.

My GM seems to like the idea of forming more permanent bonds of friendship with my summoned minions. He even seems interested in having my gargoyle possibly someday achieving his true potential and becoming a gargoyle lord.

The rulebook says you use the Ranger experience track for the Gargoyle, which seems to imply to me that they are intended to level with the party, but I'm not sure, as the rules for leveling them are never stated and other things in the book seem to indicate they would not.

So my question is: if I can level my Gargoyle, do I take levels in Soldier O.C.C. (that is where they draw their skills from) do I take levels in ranger, do I take levels in some unknown Gargoyle R.C.C. or would my GM and I have to houserule something new? If rules already exist somewhere, that would be awesome.

Last thing. I'd like peoples opinion. Is trying to level my gargoyle up too much? I feel like I might already be bothering one of my party members by eclipsing him (he was the muscle before my gargoyle showed up) and once my gargoyle gets his giant double axes, he will be substantially more powerful.

Any and all feedback/advice would be appreciated, thank you!

-Lodisy
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Do summoned enteties level up with his summoner

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would say it's very reasonable for your summon to level up at about the rate you do, especially if you can summon the same individual again and again (and, thus, he gets experience for your adventuring).

Gargoyles, however, are what's called an RCC... they're a race-that-is-a-class. There might be a few with proper OCCs, but most of your gargoyles won't, and I'd be reluctant to allow it as a GM. So, when he levels, get gets the listed benefits for his RCC (can't recall them off the top of my head), a bonus to any skills he has for leveling up, and an increase in his hand to hand skill (if he has one; again, I can't recall). If you have Rifts books, there may be a more complete Gargoyle RCC that you can use.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

Awesome. I'm super new to PFRPG and I've never played any sort of Rifts game. I have a few of the books, but nothing major. If someone could give me an idea of what book I'd need to look in to find Gargoyle R.C.C. that would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll just look till I find it :)
Love your signature, Mark.
Maybe I should get one, and an avatar.
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

Look in NGR\Triax Rifts world book 5, or the Hades book dimension book.
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

Awesome, thank you :)
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Whenever I've rolled up summoner minions, its always been according to exactly what the books say a random gargoyle would look like, which also includes a dieroll on what level gargoyle they are in terms of RCC level.
Library Ogre

Looking at the Gargoyle on page 314 of the PFRPG, I'd just go with that. Call them a Soldier, give them 3 skills plus the secondary skills, and level them up as you go along. I would also ignore what the RCC says about ignoring their hand-to-hand skill; I'd use that as the basis for the Gargoyle gaining hand to hand bonuses and attacks as they level up.

Now, to party dynamics... a summoner can be a rough customer, with their summoned creatures adding substantial heft. But you're not going to be able to jander into town with a 10-20' gargoyle at your back, and he's not able to disappear like a gargoyle mage or gargoyle lord.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

I had definitely considered that. I've done some things to boost my personal defense (I have a parry of 10 with my blocking dagger), and I think for my second summon I'm going to do a Fiend and have him take an innocuous form so he can follow me into towns and such. Fiend doesn't seem to be nearly as powerful as a gargoyle, but being able to go anywhere with me (with the exception of holy ground maybe, or anti Deevil circles) seems well worth it.

On that note, if you have a better suggestion for a summon that can follow me into towns and whatnot, that would be well appreciated. ( I understand I could summon an actual human NPC or even a PC with the right circle, but that seems more evil than my character is at this point).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Do a summoned minion level up when the summoner levels up? No.

Can they level up? yes, but the GM would need to assign EXP to the summoned minion somehow.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre

Your problem with summoning demons and deevils is always what you have to work with... they're nasty jerks who will cheerfully cause all manner of trouble, from simple mischief to outright murder. There aren't too many things you CAN summon that won't have that same problem.

Elementals tend to be literal, but unlikely to cause trouble just because. An air elemental can be invisible, nearby, and nasty, without being a demonic presence. Earth Elementals can likewise tag along through the ground, without too much trouble. Both have the drawback that they prefer not to be summoned.

All Palladium Articles
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

I tend to take Mark's stance on it most of the time. We know that demons and deevils will be jerks on purpose, because theyre evil. But lots of creatures will resent the kind of captivity that being summoned entails, and they will do the same thing. Taking steps to prevent jerky-ness is a must.
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

I gave my Gargoyle the standard 3 laws of robotics/ 4 laws of demonics (patent pending)
1) you may never harm me or through inaction allow me to come to harm.
2) (I made this one up) You may not harm any sentient being or property of another sentient being without my consent, except where it interferes with the first law (meaning even if I should somehow accidentally instruct him to harm me, the first law would prevent it)
3) you may never allow innocence to come to harm except where it interferes with the first law
4) you may not allow yourself to come to harm, except where it interferes with the first, second and third law.

It sounds foolproof, but as readers of I Robot can attest to, it certainly is not.
Last edited by Lodisy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The offical answer is no, Demons do not level up with the summoner, in fact they level up abysmally slow. most demons are thousands of years old and maybe 6-8th level after all.

but the GM is free to give them XP/Levels if he wants, nothing says they can't, it's just not default.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

If he's going to let you go all "Four Laws of Demonics", then I'd glance through the demonic bestiary in the PFRPG and find something that can look human (or otherwise innocuous) at will.

All Palladium Articles
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I thought you were just born a Gargoyle Lord or Mage, not that they were stuff normal Gargoyles could train to become. Same as how Gargoylites are not just baby Gargoyles.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre

Tor wrote:I thought you were just born a Gargoyle Lord or Mage, not that they were stuff normal Gargoyles could train to become. Same as how Gargoylites are not just baby Gargoyles.

This is correct. Some few gargoyles are born lords or mages; though never specifically said, I like the idea that these randomly pop up in normal gargoyle bloodlines, not that they're separate breeds entirely (so you can't necessarily eugenics ALL lords, ALL mages, or NO lords or NO mages). Gargoylites and Gurgoyles I understood as being separate breeds entirely, though.

All Palladium Articles
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

I haven't found anything in the books to indicate that Gargoyles are born as Gargoyle Lords, though I am admittedly not nearly as knowledgeable on PF as some others here.

My rationale is that, with the exception of stone form, Gargoyle Lords don't have any abilities or attributes that couldn't be gained/learned from experience (They're the same height, have the same attribute spread, etc.), and I think maybe stone form is something that all Gargoyles could attain from enough discipline or training.
Library Ogre

Huh. I looked back over it, and can see how the statements I read as being "some gargoyles are born with mage or lord abilities" can easily be read as "these are small subspecies that don't have the fecundity of regular gargoyles."

Because that's about the only way for it to really happen... though I did have a neat thought of gargoyles being eusocial, and the various breeds being the result of different environments for the eggs (completely unsupported, but a neat idea).

All Palladium Articles
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Might be a fun rule to make Lords/Mages sterile, but the problem here is that you have that old NPC queen who has a daughter so maybe not Mages, but I could see Lords at least being sterile.

Or maybe (due to the commonality of turning to stone) the offspring of Gargoyle Lords become Gargoylites and Gargoylites are sterile?

*has trouble picturing a pregnant gargoylite*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:Might be a fun rule to make Lords/Mages sterile, but the problem here is that you have that old NPC queen who has a daughter so maybe not Mages, but I could see Lords at least being sterile.

Or maybe (due to the commonality of turning to stone) the offspring of Gargoyle Lords become Gargoylites and Gargoylites are sterile?

*has trouble picturing a pregnant gargoylite*

lol
maybe they lay eggs?
Library Ogre

I had some notes on this in an old notebook. IIRC, I had Gargoyle Lords and Mages be the result of rare mutations that made them very powerful, but sterile. Gargoylites were the result of specific experimentation on gargoyle eggs by Gargoyle Mages... they could reproduce, but some new ones were created every now and again.

IMC, gargoyles are egg-laying, including gargoylites. Their egg beds are extensive, and usually too small for full-size gargoyles, so they are defended by gurgoyles. I don't see a problem with a Gargoyle Lord having a "daughter"... just because they're not strictly blood doesn't prevent the relationship from being there, and it might be culturally common for older Gargoyle Lords to adopt a younger one in a parental relationship.

All Palladium Articles
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

kiralon wrote:maybe they lay eggs?

I believe they do, but I think you still swell in the belly while forming the eggs prior to laying.
Library Ogre

Tor wrote:
kiralon wrote:maybe they lay eggs?

I believe they do, but I think you still swell in the belly while forming the eggs prior to laying.

Depends on how many you lay and how big the egg is as a proportion of your body. Keep in mind that gargoyles are 10-20 feet tall... something that big could easily carry 3-4 basketball sized eggs in its abdomen and you wouldn't notice.

All Palladium Articles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Triax 2 has details on gargoyle reproductive methods. In short, they lay eggs, and prefer caves and other sheltered areas to incubate them. Incubation is along reptile lines in method.

As far as summoned gargoyles go though, I'd say use the RCC as described in the hades book, since those native to other dimensions aren't as likely to be the ones summoned.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps we could use the 'Deevil Dragon' in Dyval as a guideline for Hades Gargoyles. Like perhaps selling out to a Demon Lord makes the Gargoyles infertile and they reproduce by stealing the eggs of un-bound Gargoyles?
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I hope Lodisy's GM isn't on the forums because I'm about to ruin his 3rd law of demonic's. Without defining "Innocents" (I assume you meant that and not "innocence") the gargoyle can merely regard anything as guilty. It doesn't even matter of what the creature is guilty (guilty of being in my way), the mere fact of it being guilty of SOMETHING makes it not innocent. If you're not in a court of law, focusing on a crime, then innocent implies a general innocence which a summoned creature can explain away with ease. That would include the PC's.

Further, the Gargoyle can essentially attack anyone it can reasonably believe is about to cause you harm. If one of your comrades draws a sword within your vicinity, that could mean the comrade is going to attack you, which would allow the creature to attack it. The same would go for any authorities who are close to you, or a weaponsmith, an alchemist, any wizard who is speaking, etc. To counteract this, you would have to spell out exactly what actions are ones which could lead you to be harmed, which would mean all other actions the creature could ignore. IT could even be a total jerk and make you specify every action. "what do you mean swinging a sword at you?"

The problem is YOU know when you feel at risk but the creature has its own mind and can willfully think differently.

-Vek
"Demons are too much trouble."
Library Ogre

Veknironth wrote:Well, I hope Lodisy's GM isn't on the forums because I'm about to ruin his 3rd law of demonic's. Without defining "Innocents" (I assume you meant that and not "innocence") the gargoyle can merely regard anything as guilty. It doesn't even matter of what the creature is guilty (guilty of being in my way), the mere fact of it being guilty of SOMETHING makes it not innocent. If you're not in a court of law, focusing on a crime, then innocent implies a general innocence which a summoned creature can explain away with ease. That would include the PC's.

"You're a pure soul. You have nothing to worry about... But you did not say 'God bless you' when I sneezed."

All Palladium Articles
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

"Loki!"

"You're getting off light."

"LOKI!"
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Cosmo-Knights can fire killer beams from their eyes while looking like a normal human.

Based on this: if any human looks at a Gargoyle, they may be a potential threat about to laser them in the eye. ENGAGE

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”