New players make classic mistake...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

New players make classic mistake...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I tell them they see darkness...They have entered a cave and are well enough away from the entrance and didn't light torches or anything.

Player 1 "Feel for a light switch."
me: "Your character has no idea what a light switch is, it's the equivalent to the middle ages, and this a cave...Not a mages tower."
Player 2 "l have wooden stakes, and a torch."
Player 3 "So do I."
Player 1: "How long do they last?"
Me: "Valid question. I'll give you both the 12 hour ones. And you guys all have flint & steal to light one. Before you say, I light it...the best of luck. There is just one problem with doing it here, you can't see here to find a torch much less flint and steal."
Player 3: "I say, cool cave, a bit deep...I'm going back to the entrance, find my flint and steal and light my torch."
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: New players make classic mistake...

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yup.
Caves are fun.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Well, at least they didn't shoot a gazebo with a +3 magic arrow...

That having been said, one of the ladies I used to game with couldn't quite wrap her head around the fact that in a medieval society, children work from the age of about 5 or so, and that SCHOOLS and LITERACY are luxuries that only the rich can afford.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Few weeks ago we were in a cavern, seeking treasure and fighting bad guy spider things...they came pouring out of the walls and we were locked in a big battle!

One of the party members was holding a lantern (our only light source, all our torches were used up). You can guess whats next right?

So yeah there my Sword wielding man at arms is, swinging madly, slashing the spider things down, when suddenly....

GM says to lantern holder character, "Two spider creatures rush towards you".
Players response, " I thrown the lantern at them! I watch them burn"!
GM, "Um yes you do....then they are all burned up after a few seconds and you are all in darkness".

The rest of us.....were stunned to say the least. YOU DID WHAT?! Threw our only light source at it?! How will me see?

Was funny....till we party wiped. Heh so we "re-rolled" new level one characters that were the same basically and went back in as a new group. All the while thinking that when I find the dead other "me" I want his gear! ;)
Dan Frederick
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Borast wrote:Well, at least they didn't shoot a gazebo with a +3 magic arrow...

That having been said, one of the ladies I used to game with couldn't quite wrap her head around the fact that in a medieval society, children work from the age of about 5 or so, and that SCHOOLS and LITERACY are luxuries that only the rich can afford.

Ha! Yeah no doubt. Everyone knows that you can only harm a gazebo with weapons made of silver. :D
pblackcrow
Champion

Yeah, that's why you need to take a wizard, or a crystal of light in a mirror box or something like that. Also in case you have to swim anywhere while in a cave, it's always a wise for the GM move to throw in some glowing mushrooms or things like that into the game.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

pblackcrow wrote:I tell them they see darkness...They have entered a cave and are well enough away from the entrance and didn't light torches or anything.

me: "Your character has no idea what a light switch is, it's the equivalent to the middle ages, and this a cave...Not a mages tower."
Player 3 "So do I."
Me: "Valid question. I'll give you both the 12 hour ones. And you guys all have flint & steal to light one. Before you say, I light it...the best of luck. There is just one problem with doing it here, you can't see here to find a torch much less flint and steal."
Player 3: "I say, cool cave, a bit deep...I'm going back to the entrance, find my flint and steal and light my torch."

The feel for a light switch is hilarious. :lol:

The stakes could make a good (if small) fire but not a decent torch unless modified with cloth and lamp oil or pitch or some such. ;)

Any adventurer worth their salt would have their flint and steel in a belt pouch and would have tinder (cotton, charcloth, maybe even a little vial of some very distilled spirits or lamp oil) there to catch the spark also. It would be at hand, and easy to get going, even in the dark. Fire in medieval times meant light, heat, cooked food, and in general life. Its not something that would be forgotten about or randomly tossed into a pack so you did not know where it was.

I guarantee that even if I had my fire starting kit and torches in my backpack I would know where in the pack they were and could get to them quickly (less than a minute) and get them lit even in pitch black conditions.

Just my two cents but I would have called you out on that as a player.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Radar.
I'm good in caves.
Rain and snow not so much.
pblackcrow
Champion

Thinyser wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:I tell them they see darkness...They have entered a cave and are well enough away from the entrance and didn't light torches or anything.

Player 3 "So do I."

The stakes could make a good (if small) fire but not a decent torch unless modified with cloth and lamp oil or pitch or some such. ;)

Any adventurer worth their salt would have their flint and steel in a belt pouch and would have tinder (cotton, charcloth, maybe even a little vial of some very distilled spirits or lamp oil) there to catch the spark also. It would be at hand, and easy to get going, even in the dark. Fire in medieval times meant light, heat, cooked food, and in general life. Its not something that would be forgotten about or randomly tossed into a pack so you did not know where it was.

I guarantee that even if I had my fire starting kit and torches in my backpack I would know where in the pack they were and could get to them quickly (less than a minute) and get them lit even in pitch black conditions.

These are level 2, plus it was their 3rd or 4th time playing ever, and they said specifically that they just threw their stuff into their packs. I am trying to teaching them organizational skills as we go. These are teenagers, so...while I hope for the best, I expect nothing. Heck, until they came to me they couldn't even read a map or do math in their heads. And made A's in geography and Math! It disgust me too no freaking end the way the school system here in the states are teaching kids to take test, and robbing them of life needed skills!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

pblackcrow wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Player 3 "So do I."

These are level 2, plus it was their 3rd or 4th time playing ever, and they said specifically that they just threw their stuff into their packs. I am trying to teaching them organizational skills as we go. These are teenagers, so...while I hope for the best, I expect nothing. Heck, until they came to me they couldn't even read a map or do math in their heads. And made A's in geography and Math! It disgust me too no freaking end the way the school system here in the states are teaching kids to take test, and robbing them of life needed skills!

Yeah that is sad.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

classic greenhorn mistake.

When the gm laughs, AND they laugh with you.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:
Borast wrote:Well, at least they didn't shoot a gazebo with a +3 magic arrow...

Ha! Yeah no doubt. Everyone knows that you can only harm a gazebo with weapons made of silver. :D

Except, creatures vulnerable to silver are also vulnerable to magic weapons.
However, if you truly want to deal damage, a crowbar or sledge hammer would be the preferred weapons... In any case, after several rounds of combat, the GM halted the game and asked the offending player if he even knew what a gazebo was. He didn't. He'd never heard of one before. He thought it was a monster.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Attacking a Gazeebo is a well known mistake, only slightly less well known is this, don't go in against a Dwarf, when death is on the line!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

and you cant forget never get involved in a land war in Asia
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Jerell wrote:Attacking a Gazeebo is a well known mistake, only slightly less well known is this, don't go in against a Dwarf, when death is on the line!

Gazebo hmm, which book is that in?

Oh yes. Here we go.

Rifts World Book Inanimate Objects and Dangerous Stuff.

Page 657... Gazebo. Right found it.

You hear that SIMS 6 is going to be a new format of the Rifts game?

Rifts SIMS. Saw the advertisement in the back of the Inanimate Objects book.

Ha! New Player Classic Mistake # 47, playing with a drunk and sarcastic GM.
Dan Frederick
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, technically a light switch could exist in a Palladium World. If you wanted to punish someone with a long, flexible stick, but didn't want one that was very heavy or thick a light switch would be just the thing.

-Vek
"Not sure how that would help in a cave, though."
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Veknironth wrote:Well, technically a light switch could exist in a Palladium World. If you wanted to punish someone with a long, flexible stick, but didn't want one that was very heavy or thick a light switch would be just the thing.

-Vek

Well played sir, well played.

:lol:

Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Veknironth wrote:Well, technically a light switch could exist in a Palladium World. If you wanted to punish someone with a long, flexible stick, but didn't want one that was very heavy or thick a light switch would be just the thing.

-Vek

A three year absence from the boards and that's what you return with?!

Good to have you back :D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Soldier of Od wrote:

-Vek

A three year absence from the boards and that's what you return with?!

Good to have you back :D

Well, if it was a holly switch and the person was Balder... :wink:
Fnord

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

...then someone is about to commit a murder. :shock:
Deadboy Dakka
Wanderer
Comment: I'll smite with my smiting stick!!!

Unread post by Deadboy Dakka »

Or when a veteran player casts fire ball at the Zavor. And the rest of the party wades in with magic weapons...
Uhh... Dragging of flesh and bone followed by a moan? Let's go examine the creepy sound.
With an automatic shotgun of course.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Deadboy Dakka wrote:Or when a veteran player casts fire ball at the Zavor. And the rest of the party wades in with magic weapons...

or after casting armour of ithan on themselves they start punching the zavor and complaining that they are still splitting.
Deadboy Dakka
Wanderer
Comment: I'll smite with my smiting stick!!!

Unread post by Deadboy Dakka »

kiralon wrote:
Deadboy Dakka wrote:Or when a veteran player casts fire ball at the Zavor. And the rest of the party wades in with magic weapons...

or after casting armour of ithan on themselves they start punching the zavor and complaining that they are still splitting.

I'm not that messed up. That's just all kinda of mean :D
However, I have no problem throwing Zavor at a party of people who knocked off a Splugorth caravan and took the Rune weapons. gotta balance out loot somehow.
Uhh... Dragging of flesh and bone followed by a moan? Let's go examine the creepy sound.
With an automatic shotgun of course.
pblackcrow
Champion

NICE!!! Um, a bit unlikely to happen in my Fantasy game...Considering I outright abhor the thought of MDC machinery in an SDC environment. But still, it's cool.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Torval »

Borast wrote:
Except, creatures vulnerable to silver are also vulnerable to magic weapons.
However, if you truly want to deal damage, a crowbar or sledge hammer would be the preferred weapons... In any case, after several rounds of combat, the GM halted the game and asked the offending player if he even knew what a gazebo was. He didn't. He'd never heard of one before. He thought it was a monster.

I literally got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at this. Thank you for brightening my morning!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Torval wrote:I literally got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at this. Thank you for brightening my morning!

No prob., first read that one back in the 80's.
Fnord

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

http://www.dndadventure.com/html/articl ... ories.html
Was the version I heard, I think it was in a dragon magazine.
I had a party playing a BTS N&S cross game and they were dealing with werewolves, but when they were messing with a summoners plans so he fled through a dimensional portal (they just thought it was a teleport portal into snow) and they chased him to a camp of what they thought were roman werewolves, and then proceeded to start mowing them down with machine gun fire until one of them noticed that the "werewolves" were actually dying to lead bullets, which confused them. They called out atruce which the wolfen having lost 2/3's of there patrol agreed to, and the first words out of the Pc's appointed speaker was" we will never forgive you" "we know you might not ever forgive us but we a very sorry"
Same PC was doing an adventure out of the books were the party had to try and get some info about pirates at a tavern rumoured to be pirate controlled, we had been joking about walking in there and saying we are pirates, give us all your money. We planned it, the pc's would go in there at separate times to arouse less suspicion and to check how dangerous the place was. The first ones in got a hostile reaction and really crappy ale from the bartender but weren't thrown out, so the second group went in sat down. When the barkeep came over to take their order the speaker slapped his hand on the table and said in a bad pirate accent "You know, I always wanted to be a pirate" to the barkeep. I laughed so hard I cried.
snowfox14
Newb

Unread post by snowfox14 »

so my group was traveling through the northern wilderness to deliver a sack for a mad man. when they come to the cabin and are all standing out front of it.
Player 1: "alright, how should we approach this?"
Player 2: "why dont we just knock?"
They all just shrug and walk to the door, the player with the sack tells me he drops the sack on the ground near a tree. i just roll with it cause i dont see why hes doing it but you never know. So they knock on the door and they hear a faint hello. as they enter they find a elf chained to the wall (new player coming in). after a little bit they have the new player being warmed by a fire they started i have every one roll a perception.
P1: 17
P2:15
P3:20
and the new player rolled a 2
player 1 and player 3 catch a glimpse of a bear outside. with out a beat after i finish the new player says "so cause i hear a bear outside i.." and before they finish the thought i say "sorry what did you roll?" they answer 2 and i respond with "you didn't hear ****." and i dont know why but we all just died of laughter.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

kiralon wrote:http://www.dndadventure.com/html/articles/gaming_stories.html
Was the version I heard, I think it was in a dragon magazine.

"Heard" the story on-line. No player names were mentioned. I was subscribed to Dragon from the mid 80's until early 90's. (#54[?] is the earliest I have, subscription started at about issue 70, ended shortly after early 200's.) Never saw the mentioned stories therein...

I've heard of the HEART of Vecna, but never the head...and it was a TSR published product. :twisted: Much the same sort of thing, except group 2 wasn't another group of PCs, it was the group on Greyhawk dedicated to bringing Vecna back. It apparently had similar effects on the 2-3 search groups from said Vecna devotees. heheh...
Fnord

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”