Frost Magic

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Frost Magic

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Rifter 70-Frost Magic. 40 “official,” new cold-based spells, plus the Frost Mage and other ideas by H. Nathan Bingham
and Kevin Siembieda.

Sounds like the Tome of Northern Winter (mentioned in Library of Blethered) is about to get fully detailed. Which means water
warlocks will be acquiring more spells. My friend John who played a sorceress who using nothing but ice magic from that book
in a long campaign is about to get real excited.

Having went through all of PF in an effort to locate and categorize all the warlock spells, then to have Ocean Magic brought to
the world, to see water warlocks get another batch of spells is just a little disappointing. Between Hinterlands, Library of
Blethered, Mysteries of Magic 1, and Bizantium these guys have received more than enough. Time for Fire and Earth to get
some extra lovin :hug:
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Frost Magic

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I had an Ice Warlock in MOMM, but hasn't come out yet.

However, I could really see some interesting stuff being done with Earth. Where my Omashu peeps at? ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Yeah, where's the love for Fire Warlocks already?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Reagren Wright wrote:Rifter 70-Frost Magic. 40 “official,” new cold-based spells, plus the Frost Mage and other ideas by H. Nathan Bingham
and Kevin Siembieda.

Sounds like the Tome of Northern Winter (mentioned in Library of Blethered) is about to get fully detailed. Which means water
warlocks will be acquiring more spells. My friend John who played a sorceress who using nothing but ice magic from that book
in a long campaign is about to get real excited.

Having went through all of PF in an effort to locate and categorize all the warlock spells, then to have Ocean Magic brought to
the world, to see water warlocks get another batch of spells is just a little disappointing. Between Hinterlands, Library of
Blethered, Mysteries of Magic 1, and Bizantium these guys have received more than enough. Time for Fire and Earth to get
some extra lovin :hug:

Bout time we got some more ice spells for PFRPG and rifts. Of all the major normal types of magic there is a pretty limited amount of cold magic and cold focused ability users.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Nate, aka HenryBingham, has shared some of the magic with me- I cannot wait for it to come out!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

zyanitevp wrote:Nate, aka HenryBingham, has shared some of the magic with me- I cannot wait for it to come out!!

Ditto
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

The problem with this theory is that you are assuming that Water Warlocks will have access to these spells.

Yes, Ocean and Frost magic can overlap with a Water Warlock's spells to some degree, but that is true with most areas of specialized magic. Just because these new types of magic also deal with "water" to a degree, it doesn't mean that the Water Elemental spells will suddenly get a huge boost in the number of spells they have access to.

Even if they do, one also has to remember one important thing... Warlock spells are granted by the Elemental Intelligence Warlocks have forged a pact with... it is that Elemental Intelligence that decides which spells to impart to a Warlock, though the Warlock can make some suggestions as to what spells would be useful. If the Intelligence decides not to grant a Warlock magic found within the Ocean or Frost Magics... then the Warlock doesn't get them.

It really is that simple. If you don't want Water Warlocks to have access to these spells... then don't give them these spells. There is nothing in the description of Ocean Magic (at least the Rifts version) that says Water Warlocks have access to those spells beyond the ones that are actually part of the Elemental Water list.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A compromise might be to leave Ocean Magic spells at their normal levels... so a Water Warlock CAN get them, but not at the lower water warlock levels.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Hey Glen, This is a dream come true. I can't wait!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I've always had such problems playing a water warlock on land. If you're not close enough to a pond, you're kinda hosed for your better weapons in your arsenal. It is SO unnecessarily hindering to have that be a problem, so I am stoked about this as well!
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zyanitevp
Champion

This Saturday will be the first appearance of a Frost Mage in my game - I will let you all know how it goes.
My Twitter
Image Image
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Sounds cool!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:Yeah, where's the love for Fire Warlocks already?

Fire warlock love is easy
Just say "Okay you can take any canon fire spell at your level" *points to the Living Fire Magic and the dozens of other fire spells out there* Voila Red Hot Fire Lovin'.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

zyanitevp wrote:This Saturday will be the first appearance of a Frost Mage in my game - I will let you all know how it goes.

I had better get the cold weather gear out then.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Razorwing wrote:The problem with this theory is that you are assuming that Water Warlocks will have access to these spells.

Yes, Ocean and Frost magic can overlap with a Water Warlock's spells to some degree, but that is true with most areas of specialized magic. Just because these new types of magic also deal with "water" to a degree, it doesn't mean that the Water Elemental spells will suddenly get a huge boost in the number of spells they have access to.

Even if they do, one also has to remember one important thing... Warlock spells are granted by the Elemental Intelligence Warlocks have forged a pact with... it is that Elemental Intelligence that decides which spells to impart to a Warlock, though the Warlock can make some suggestions as to what spells would be useful. If the Intelligence decides not to grant a Warlock magic found within the Ocean or Frost Magics... then the Warlock doesn't get them.

It really is that simple. If you don't want Water Warlocks to have access to these spells... then don't give them these spells. There is nothing in the description of Ocean Magic (at least the Rifts version) that says Water Warlocks have access to those spells beyond the ones that are actually part of the Elemental Water list.

Bizantium specifically allows a number of Ocean Magic spells to be taken by Water Warlocks.

The 'granted spells' thing is true of all granted mages. You get your magic from someone else who picks your spells. That being is generally represented by the Player but the GM can veto this at any time. (Or override the normal rules. If your Elemental Intelligence decides that you really need spell X now, even if your 'full' then by darn you are going to know spell X. The flip side is that if they decide that you have not been doing a good job then just because you leveled up doesn't mean you will get any spells.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Mark Hall wrote:Where my Omashu peeps at? ;-)

Two lovers forbidden from one another
A war divides their people,
and a mountain keeps them apart
Built a path to be together.

"Secret tunnel! SECRET TUNNEL! Through the mountain!"

Excellent episode. Though for the record I'm definitely in the Water camp.
zyanitevp
Champion

kiralon wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:This Saturday will be the first appearance of a Frost Mage in my game - I will let you all know how it goes.

This is why I don't sneak preview on the boards- you will be the first to die Kiralon/Indaris!
My Twitter
Image Image
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

zyanitevp wrote:
kiralon wrote:

This is why I don't sneak preview on the boards- you will be the first to die Kiralon/Indaris!

I expected it a little earlier actually, I had envisioned a frost giant joining reset
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Sounds nice. Every Rifter from now on should have at least 1 official thing, official sells Rifters.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I give Frost Magic and the Frost Mage a big :ok: . Completely separate from Water Warlocks. I also love the
Bizantium references included. I only wish that this cool official mage/magic category would have made it into
Bizantium so it would receive a wide acceptance. I know there are some people out there who hold a dislike for
official material if for some reason its included in a Rifter for some reason. The Rifter is the best way to get updated
material then reprinting an entire book.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Reagren Wright wrote:The Rifter is the best way to get updated
material then reprinting an entire book.

Yeah-yuh it is! I love official stuff in Rifters!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”