Last nights game...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Last nights game...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

1 player has accused me of being a "boring and unfair GM"...But I was having to game master a group of players who have never gamed before, except for him who insisted on gaming with the group of players knowing that it would be with players that were totally new to the role playing...I'm having to make them actually think about things in character terms, getting them to engage with setting and the people and things in it. 1 recognizing that anything can be a plot hook and a GM's tool! 2 that yeah, the falcon just flew down to their feet, and chirped at them, rather friendly like is an odd behavior for a trained bird of pray much less a wild one One of the Squire had the skill falconry, so he gestured to it to land on his bracer. He saw the banding had a crest up on it and had the skill heraldry, but flubbed the roll BIG TIME 94. The other squire nailed it with a 1. Which in my games you get 10 or under means you get bonus info that might come in handy, and an 1 adds 1D6 to the skill, where as a 2 adds 1D4. I texted him the information. And told him that if he chose to relay that info, to do so as it as your character would to the others, as much or as little is up to him. I was trying to establish and encourage group dynamics and PC interaction.

He has been gaming with me since he was 13. And had set in on A LOT of games before that. These guys hadn't. They are my cousins, and are around the same age as he is and he wanted to interact with them.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Last nights game...

Unread post by Bill »

You can't make everybody happy. I hope he didn't criticize you in front of the other players. That might undermine your inexperienced players' interest.
pblackcrow
Champion

Bill wrote:You can't make everybody happy. I hope he didn't criticize you in front of the other players. That might undermine your inexperienced players' interest.

He did...And he made himself look bad in front of people his own age who were new to it. That is something that I do not understand why.

I have talked to him face to face.to try to find out what is wrong. But he's a teenager. He is in that stage where he takes everything personal, out side of games mind you.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

I think it's more the case of he wanted and expected them to get it right away like he did. But not having been exposed to it or able to sit in on the many many WE ARE TALKING HUNDREDS IF NOT OVER A THOUSAND OF GAMES! And sat very quietly and listened and observed, asked questions after the games had ended. He never disrupted a game.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Okay, you guys can go ahead and delete this post. I know what it was that was wrong. He texted me. He was basically wanting to vent some aggression...he had a really BAD week. Still, had he acted like someone and told me this I could have had a solo game planned for him.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

I've had a player or two accuse me of being biased toward certain players.

Now before I go any further I need to explain that for nearly 20 years of active gaming (averaged 2 nights a week) I was the GM 99% of the time. As GM I had a core group of 4-5 players that were there the entire time. One or two of them drifted away for 6 months to a year now and then, but they always returned. There were another half dozen or so who popped in, sometimes for a couple of years, sometimes for only few weeks at a time.

Now when you have that kind of group, certain players that have been gaming with you for a looooooong time are going to understand your nuances and rhythms much better than the other players. As you will theirs. They know how you think, plot, plan traps, hide your loot, weave your stories etc.

Looking back I can see how some players thought I was biased towards my core players.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Me & my bro get calle dbias all the time with each other (its a sarcastic comment meant for fun nowadays as an ongoing joke). It stems from whichever of us isnt GMing, the other as the player usually gets the most experience points of the night.
But simply its that we are both more into the games than the rest of the group so we interact more and do more xp worthy actions. And ofc we dont always get the most xp - just 95% of the time.

Glad ur mate sorted himself out PB.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”