impervious to energy?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

victor15065
Wanderer

impervious to energy?

Unread post by victor15065 »

Dose that work for all energy or only certain ones
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: impervious to energy?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

All mundane energies but kinetic energy. Some GMs might also exclude fire too....I would.
Magic energy effects too.

Does not protect vs non-energy attacks like charm or dominate.....

Thus, it would protect the target of the spell from a lighting bolt (both natural and magical), it would not protect a TK thrown item.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
victor15065
Wanderer

OK ty
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Why do some GM's exclude fire?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

"The arcanist can make himself impervious to all forms of energy, including fire, heat, electricity, lasers and so on. Energy attacks do no damage whatsoever. Physical attacks, punches, kicks, knives, clubs, arrows, etc., inflict normal damage."

So yes... it does make you impervious to fire as well as all types of energy.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

flatline wrote:Why do some GM's exclude fire?

--flatline

I used the word "might" not "do".

Cause it is fire and not a directed energy weapon energy.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

That's still not making any sense.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Yeah, the engineer within me cringes when I see a blanket term like energy thrown around that way.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Hotrod wrote:Yeah, the engineer within me cringes when I see a blanket term like energy thrown around that way.

I know what you mean Hotrod. There are numerous types of energy.

However, you just have to determine that the Game Maker was only trying to keep things simple and not include all the crazy possibilities. When he described this spell.

Basically you are impervious to:
- Electricity and electrical attacks
- Laser or Light damage
- Fire and Heat

That is the most common stuff you are going to encounter in the game as written. Without introducing things from Rifts or other games. If you do have things like RF, Microwaves, Gamma Rays, Partical Beams etc...you are probably impervious to that too (just refer to the Big Rifts book for those rulings).

However, stuff like Gravitational, Magnetic etc...you are obviously not impervious too.
flatline
Knight

Lukterran wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Yeah, the engineer within me cringes when I see a blanket term like energy thrown around that way.

However, you just have to determine that the Game Maker was only trying to keep things simple and not include all the crazy possibilities. When he described this spell.

- Laser or Light damage
- Fire and Heat

That is the most common stuff you are going to encounter in the game as written. Without introducing things from Rifts or other games. If you do have things like RF, Microwaves, Gamma Rays, Partical Beams etc...you are probably impervious to that too (just refer to the Big Rifts book for those rulings).

However, stuff like Gravitational, Magnetic etc...you are obviously not impervious too.

What do Ion weapons count as?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Aside from the obvious that it's just a copy and paste job I offer the following explination:

It's "Energy" as the people of Palladium world haven't discovered electricity.
The Beast

flatline wrote:
Lukterran wrote:

- Laser or Light damage
- Fire and Heat

--flatline

IIRC, they'd fall under electricity.
flatline
Knight

The Beast wrote:
flatline wrote:
Lukterran wrote:

- Laser or Light damage
- Fire and Heat

--flatline

In the West End Games Star Wars that would be true. In real life, they're usually a subset of particle beams. It's never been clear to me what the Palladium authors intend it to be.

--flatline

victor15065
Wanderer

I just ment why is there an impervious to energy spell and impervious to fire spell
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

flatline wrote:
The Beast wrote:
flatline wrote:
Lukterran wrote:

- Laser or Light damage
- Fire and Heat

--flatline

In the West End Games Star Wars that would be true. In real life, they're usually a subset of particle beams. It's never been clear to me what the Palladium authors intend it to be.

--flatline

Both particle beams and electricity fall under the Palladium category of "energy" so either way, ion weapons are subject to the impervious to energy spell (though how you got ion weapons in a Palladium Fantasy game is a separate issue).
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Beast

victor15065 wrote:I just ment why is there an impervious to energy spell and impervious to fire spell

One is for most types of energy, the other is for just fire & heat.
victor15065
Wanderer

OK ty
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Since Fire and Heat are going to be the most common "energy" one will encounter, it is perfectly reasonable to create a less costly protection spell to save on PPE when one doesn't need to be protected from all forms of energy. On those occasions when one does encounter additional forms of energy though, it is nice to have the ability to protect oneself... even if it is more costly.

Options are good.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
victor15065
Wanderer

Agreed
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

While I would never dispute the intention of the spell includes fire, I dislike the blanket spells a lot, and found after drawing back on this (and similar) spells blanket immunity, the specialized ones where actually taken by players, and it created a bit more of a situational use, letting them sweep through some targets when they where immune, but have to think more about non-immune opponents. Even just Immune to Laser's is a hugely potent spell in rifts.

As to the OP's question, the spell as written is intended to be all non-kentic energy, so nearly everything that's not a melee attack, thrown, arrows, guns, rail guns, thrown ships, and the like. Particle beams are grey to me, and I'm not 100% on Plasma, which PB's likes to flip flop around on defining what it is (I'd say yes to the spell as written, since the spell works on other MD effects, unlike some other fire immunity). I'd also agree that PB's very vague wording on something like the blanket term 'Energy". There's a lot of energy that being immune to would prove very lethal.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
flatline
Knight

I have never understood why particle beams are considered energy weapons.

You're being struck by a particle that is traveling at relativistic speeds. Why isn't that considered a kinetic attack?

--flatline

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”