Bizantium is at the printer!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which features are you most-interested in?

Waterchanter O.C.C. and 20+ magic spells new to the Fantasy setting.
5%
Necromancy revisited. Many spells new to the Fantasy setting.
8%
90+ spells in all, including Ocean Magic for the Waterchanter, Necromancy and more.
10%
Serpent Chaser, Bizantium Marine and other new character classes.
1%
The Iceborn, their man-eating Raiders, Skinbinders and Sea Witches. A forgotten race of monsters who worship death, wield death magic, hunt humanoids, eat their flesh, and wear their skin. A villain you will love to hate.
10%
The Iceborn’s Necroilus – massive vessels made from the remains of dead sea serpents and animated by Necromancy to prowl the seas.
6%
Vengeful gods, monsters, Sea Serpents and Sea Monster creation tables.
4%
The Seven Treasures touched by the Northern Gods, lost for centuries, waiting to be found.
5%
New and old Bizantium ships including the Bireme, Ice Breaker and Battleship.
1%
Bizantium as never before seen.
3%
The Northern Islands described in new detail.
8%
The Great Ice Shelf – a new continent to explore.
9%
Bizantium’s origin, history, and mysteries revealed.
12%
Bizantian society, culture, religion, magic and notable places.
17%

Total votes: 77

Hotrod
Knight

Bizantium is at the printer!

Unread post by Hotrod »

Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Bizantium is at the printer!

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'm interested in the 90+ magic spells considering I only wrote 10. None of them Ocean Magic and Necromancy. However, I
love the idea (you can never have enough Necromancy in Palladium Fantasy) and the thought never
occurred to me to bring Ocean Magic from Rifts Underseas and Lemuria to Palladium Fantasy. Yet it makes sense and certainly
fit the world of Bizantium and will make a welcome magic addition to Fantasy.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Give me the culture and flavor.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I tend to view all of Palladium's books as sourcebooks for my Heroes Unlimited or Rifts games, so in that vein I'm most interested in the top three options: Waterchanter O.C.C. and 20+ magic spells new to the Fantasy setting, Necromancy revisited. Many spells new to the Fantasy setting, 90+ spells in all, including Ocean Magic for the Waterchanter, Necromancy and more. Though I am worried that most of these spells are reprints of spells I already have because of Rifts, I still am interested in seeing them in an S.D.C. context. When I thought this book was just setting information I wasn't all that interested, but now I think I'm going to be placing an order.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Glistam wrote:I tend to view all of Palladium's books as sourcebooks for my Heroes Unlimited or Rifts games, so in that vein I'm most interested in the top three options: Waterchanter O.C.C. and 20+ magic spells new to the Fantasy setting, Necromancy revisited. Many spells new to the Fantasy setting, 90+ spells in all, including Ocean Magic for the Waterchanter, Necromancy and more. Though I am worried that most of these spells are reprints of spells I already have because of Rifts, I still am interested in seeing them in an S.D.C. context. When I thought this book was just setting information I wasn't all that interested, but now I think I'm going to be placing an order.

Thanks for getting Bizantium a second chance. I would never write a setting book. This book was written to fully flesh out a
place that didn't get the proper treatment it needed.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I keep meaning to start picking up the fantasy books.

Maybe this will be the year.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

The Northern Islands described in new detail.
The Great Ice Shelf – a new continent to explore.
Bizantium’s origin, history, and mysteries revealed.

Monsters give me scenario ideas but the above give me CAMPAIGN ideas - that's exciting! And who doesnt get excited about revealed mysteries??!!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Slight news flash that relates..

I've been given part of the manuscript revolving around the O.C.C.s and R.C.C.s and should have a set (or two) of Bizantium Paper Miniatures done and in the market the week the book comes out.

Set 3: NPC Encounters is in the store now, and sets 4, 5 and 6 will be coming over the next couple of weeks; Set 4 will come in handy for the Bizantium Necromancy, as it's a collection of various types of undead (and a few of the Skeletons are wearing ragged pirate/sailor gear).
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Reagren Wright

MADMANMIKE wrote:Slight news flash that relates..

I've been given part of the manuscript revolving around the O.C.C.s and R.C.C.s and should have a set (or two) of Bizantium Paper Miniatures done and in the market the week the book comes out.

Set 3: NPC Encounters is in the store now, and sets 4, 5 and 6 will be coming over the next couple of weeks; Set 4 will come in handy for the Bizantium Necromancy, as it's a collection of various types of undead (and a few of the Skeletons are wearing ragged pirate/sailor gear).

Well that's cool. Looking forward to seeing which ones.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

LIES!!!!

I won't believe it until I see it and have read it twice.

Yeah you could say I am a bit of a skeptic.
Tyberius
Wanderer

Unread post by Tyberius »

I'd buy that for a dollar
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Please don't include "Strength of the Whale" in PF. That is the top overpowered spell in the game.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Reagren Wright

I have read the preview and I give it a :ok: :ok:. I hear my voice although the wording is slightly different, just as if I
handed over a research paper to a college level writing tutor. The intent and idea is intact. The concept is there. Things that
have been improved upon, make it better than what I had originally wrote. What was worded weakly has been strengthen. For
those who are afraid to write/submit something in fear that you work/voice will be lost, if given to someone like Kevin, fear
not, it is there in all it color and glory. It is my sincere hope that more aspiring writers get to enjoy this feeling I'm having
right now. Hard work, accepting criticism, being honest with yourself, being passionate, professional, consistent, doing your
research, and patient. Do all of these things with a little talent to guide you and opportunity will come.

And from the preview alone, I can tell you Chuck's artwork is amazing. The Iceborn are nasty and vile. March 24 can't get here
soon enough. Can't wait, can't wait.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The preview is indeed awesome! I was thrilled to see Tad Davis' Palladium World map included. It was also great to see that my map of Bizantium and its Colonies made the cut, getting its own page (though you'll have to get the book to see my map; it's not in the sneak peek).

I was also very pleased to see more information on the Edge of the World and its location/shape. Now I can put it into my "everything" vector map.

I also love the concept and execution of Selkies, the Iceborn, and the Eoten.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

What I have read of the preview so far looks great. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Reagren Wright wrote:I have read the preview and I give it a :ok: :ok:. I hear my voice although the wording is slightly different, just as if I
handed over a research paper to a college level writing tutor. The intent and idea is intact. The concept is there. Things that
have been improved upon, make it better than what I had originally wrote. What was worded weakly has been strengthen. For
those who are afraid to write/submit something in fear that you work/voice will be lost, if given to someone like Kevin, fear
not, it is there in all it color and glory. It is my sincere hope that more aspiring writers get to enjoy this feeling I'm having
right now. Hard work, accepting criticism, being honest with yourself, being passionate, professional, consistent, doing your
research, and patient. Do all of these things with a little talent to guide you and opportunity will come.

And from the preview alone, I can tell you Chuck's artwork is amazing. The Iceborn are nasty and vile. March 24 can't get here
soon enough. Can't wait, can't wait.

Really neat from what I have seen in the preview. Chuck looks like he is on fire as usual art wise and the iceborn look like a very interesting idea. Looks like a really good way to kick off production of more PFRPG supplements after a bit of a drought.
Bronn
D-Bee

Unread post by Bronn »

I am overjoyed to see a Palladium Fantasy setting book coming out again after so long. Even though I'm not currently playing the game, I am definitely going to pick it up for the read and just to support the line so they will hopefully make more (in a timely fashion)! And who knows, maybe it will rekindle a few of my old players to dust off the old game. :)
Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

Something I'm wondering - Some of the Marines get 'Red Barnacle' armor, but I don't see that in the book. Is it in another?
Reagren Wright

Stormseed wrote:Something I'm wondering - Some of the Marines get 'Red Barnacle' armor, but I don't see that in the book. Is it in another?

:( Yes I'm well aware that the Red Barnacle Armor was "edited" out of the equipment section, even
though it says the Valgorian Guardsmen receive it as standard equipment and Mottull Jostein in the city
of Wujik makes it. Kevin probably didn't care for it, and all reference to it should have been removed
but for those interested....

Red Barnacle Armor

Made exclusively in the city of Wujik, Mottull Josteinson secret is biofouling; the accumulation of
microorganisms, plants, algae, or animals on wetted surfaces. Where the waters of the River Krkyn
mixed with the Inland Sea, the spot is the sole location where the Red Barnacles live. Mottull merely
has to toss a full suit or half suit of chain male into waters beside his armory and within a matter of 10
minutes it’s covered with living Red Barnacles. Once removed out of the water, the Red Barnacles die
yet remain permanently attached to the chain mail, their red impermeable calcite shells providing an
extra layer of protection to the armor. Only natural dice rolls 10 or above will inflict damage to the
armor (an accumulative strike roll of 19 or higher will harm the wearer). Mottull simply has to perform
some slight modifications and make some pre-measurements in order for the armor to be fit exactly
for his customers. The metal of the armor becomes untarnishable and grants a water resiliency and
natural buoyancy to its wearer. The armor cannot be repaired, so once it sustains significant damage, it
crumbles into dust.

Full Suit-Weight 58 lbs (26.1 kg), A.R. 18. S.D.C. 92, Cost: 700 gold
Half Suit-Weight 36 lbs (16.2 kg), A.R. 18. S.D.C. 68, Cost: 425 gold
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I was about to start a thread about that. Thanks for sharing!
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I have one question about the water warlock access to the ocean magic spells. It states that they specifically don't gain access to the armor of algor spell but in the spell description of the armor of algo(armor of neptune) spell it states the warlock casting level. So for clarification was it intended water warlocks not have access to it or have access to it. If they wind up having access to it that is a huge boost for water warlock power as only earth warlocks currently have any magical body shield type powers.

It almost would make sense if they did have access to it though as water and earth are the more defensive utility options and fire/are are the offensive ones.
Reagren Wright

I must confess I didn't come up with the Wavechanters (Matt's idea), which I totally love as they are far better than the
sailor mages originally submitted. As for your question, as I look over the different spells, that is a editing nightmare.

Armor of Algor, Mystic Seahorse, Senses of the Shark, and Weed Snare ALL say on page 100 they are not available but in
their individual descriptions they are :roll: . The only ones on page 100 that are not available are Metamorphosis Fish and
Communicate with Sea Creatures. But that is incorrect because Communicate with Sea Creatures is a 4th level water warlock
spell found on page 241 of PFRPG. So the only spell in description not available is Metamorphosis Fish. Even the spell
Whirlpool (104) that cost 100 P.P.E. is 5th level water warlock spell on page 242 of PFRPG and cost only 40 P.P.E. So in short I
would say GO with what the description says and ignore the restrictions on page 100.
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Reagren Wright wrote:I'm interested in the 90+ magic spells considering I only wrote 10. None of them Ocean Magic and Necromancy. However, I
love the idea (you can never have enough Necromancy in Palladium Fantasy) and the thought never
occurred to me to bring Ocean Magic from Rifts Underseas and Lemuria to Palladium Fantasy. Yet it makes sense and certainly
fit the world of Bizantium and will make a welcome magic addition to Fantasy.

Excited about this book!
Which necromancy spells are included/converted for Palladium Fantasy? Some of newer ones taken from some of the more recent Rifters? Or are the spells converted from Rifts Aftica/BoM?

I am very excited about this section (and so is my necro), as well as any additional elemental/water spells.

Thanks.

(And congrats!)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Reagren Wright wrote:I must confess I didn't come up with the Wavechanters (Matt's idea), which I totally love as they are far better than the
sailor mages originally submitted. As for your question, as I look over the different spells, that is a editing nightmare.

Armor of Algor, Mystic Seahorse, Senses of the Shark, and Weed Snare ALL say on page 100 they are not available but in
their individual descriptions they are :roll: . The only ones on page 100 that are not available are Metamorphosis Fish and
Communicate with Sea Creatures. But that is incorrect because Communicate with Sea Creatures is a 4th level water warlock
spell found on page 241 of PFRPG. So the only spell in description not available is Metamorphosis Fish. Even the spell
Whirlpool (104) that cost 100 P.P.E. is 5th level water warlock spell on page 242 of PFRPG and cost only 40 P.P.E. So in short I
would say GO with what the description says and ignore the restrictions on page 100.

That is kinda my gut call as well simply because with the additions in mysteries of magic it makes sense that water warlocks get a shield spell as it balances them with earth and not really overpowering in either PFRPG or rifts.

This is a pretty awesome book though all told lots of nifty stuff. I do find the whole sea serpant hunting industry interesting. Clearly a case of eat or be eaten.
Reagren Wright

kaid wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:I must confess I didn't come up with the Wavechanters (Matt's idea), which I totally love as they are far better than the

That is kinda my gut call as well simply because with the additions in mysteries of magic it makes sense that water warlocks get a shield spell as it balances them with earth and not really overpowering in either PFRPG or rifts.

This is a pretty awesome book though all told lots of nifty stuff. I do find the whole sea serpant hunting industry interesting. Clearly a case of eat or be eaten.

It was touched on in Hinterlands, and I figured hey yeah gotta feed them Wolfen living next door if want access to their
forest. And I like the idea that we're shooting killing sea serpents more than killing dolphins and whales (which is
happening), but not so much that it might touch a sensitive nerve to people who take issue to the real life whaling industry.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Oh it makes perfect sense. You will wind up having to hunt sea serpents anyway if for no other reason to thin their numbers down so they are not destroying your merchant ships so may as well make some lemonade from your lemons and get as much use out of them as possible.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Just finished this book- and might I say to all, this is a must have!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Land of the Damned 1: Chaos Lands, p59 wrote:Great sperm whales and blue whales also populate the northern coastal waters in force (since there is no industry for whale oil in the Palladium World, Bizantium sailors do not hunt these magnificent beasts).

Another inconsistency I found with the Bizantium book. I can't blame you for it, though; the LotD books are quite a handful to wade through, as I'm discovering in my latest mapping project.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Hotrod wrote:
Land of the Damned 1: Chaos Lands, p59 wrote:Great sperm whales and blue whales also populate the northern coastal waters in force (since there is no industry for whale oil in the Palladium World, Bizantium sailors do not hunt these magnificent beasts).

Another inconsistency I found with the Bizantium book. I can't blame you for it, though; the LotD books are quite a handful to wade through, as I'm discovering in my latest mapping project.

:lol: I'm goning to have to look that reference up for my own amusement. Black
Whale were orignally a type of sperm whale that hunted other whales, yet they got
turned into humpback whales (which we didn't have stats for in M&A). What's funny
about that is it says in Hinterlands they have a whaling industry :roll: , but as I'm
finding out sometimes some misinformation does occur in books.
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Hello,

New poster.

Which necromancy spells are included/converted for Palladium Fantasy? Some of newer ones taken from some of the more recent Rifters? Or are the spells converted from Rifts Aftica/BoM?

I didn't care for the ones in the newest rifters-just wondering...

And thank you.
Reagren Wright

None of the new "official" necromancy spells from Rifter #62 are in Bizantium, the rest of the Necromancy spells
are from Rifts Africa and Rifts Mystic Russia, or find them all in Rifts Book of Magic. Bizantium expands the original spells and
Necromancer found in Adventures of the High Seas. You now can make a complete Necromancer in PF without having to grab
a Rifts books to complete your character. That being said please grab Rifter #62 and check out the Necro spells in that book,
they already have been converted to be suited for both MDC and SDC game. As I said before to Kevin, you can never have enough necromancy :demon: .
Besides the Iceborn need even more necro magic to punish player characters with. :mrgreen:

Let me share some advice Kevin sent me about the reason we updated the necromancy.

"Glen, do not assume that the customers/gamers know the setting as well as you do nor that they have EVERY book we've
published. That's why I included reprints of the Necromancer and Necromancy spell descriptions and some other spell and skill
descriptions in the book. You don't want them to have to reference more than one or two other books, and not for small,
simple things that could be easily reprinted."
Last edited by Reagren Wright on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Reagren Wright wrote:None of the new "official" necromancy spells from Rifter #62 are in Bizantium, the rest of the Necromancy spells
are from Rifts Africa and Rifts Mystic Russia, or find them all in Rifts Book of Magic. Bizantium expands the original spells and
Necromancer found in Adventures of the High Seas. You now can make a complete Necromancer in PF without having to grab
a Rifts books to complete your character. That being said please grab Rifter #62 and check out the Necro spells in that book,
they already have been converted to be suited for both MDC and SDC game. As I said before to Kevin, you can never have enough necromancy :demon: .
Besides the Iceborn never even more necro magic to punish player characters with. :mrgreen:

Let me share some advice Kevin sent me about the reason we updated the necromancy.

"Glen, do not assume that the customers/gamers know the setting as well as you do nor that they have EVERY book we've
published. That's why I included reprints of the Necromancer and Necromancy spell descriptions and some other spell and skill
descriptions in the book. You don't want them to have to reference more than one or two other books, and not for small,
simple things that could be easily reprinted."

Thank you.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Good afternoon, whelps and elders!

I hope you won't mind this old wolf posting her two-thumbclaws-up for an 'Other' option in the poll: Kevin Siembieda doing artwork in Palladium Fantasy, and of the Wolfen as well, no less! (Aye, saw the 'assassination scene' bit, along with the closeup of the Wolfen cousin, in the DriveThru 32-page Preview!) Kevin's work was the first I remember really whetting my appetite for Palladium's products when I first read a friend's copy of Monsters & Animals (this was 1990 or so) and roped me in, so to speak. ^_^

I will most certainly be picking myself up a copy of Bizantium in the next few months; probably not upon release but not too long afterwards! Thanks for the preview, and thank you all at Palladium Books for keeping this cub well-supplied!

-Boe.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

Wow this book is great. I love learning about the history, geography, Iceborn, monsters, Bizantium and more on the Northern religion. Great job all around everyone who helped make it.

That being said I was a little disappointed at all the reprinted skills and spells, but also there is missing Necromancer data (good thing I have High Seas).

One change I didn't quiet get was in WB3 2 Dragons Horns in union was 2d4x10 damage and 350 sdc, but in Bizantium the attack becomes 2d4x10+10 with the same sdc. I don't quiet understand why that change was made not that it has affected any of my players or I. No one's been a Necromancer yet. I figured if you were a Necromancer who's killed a dragon you'd just wear its head and not a pair of horns.

8/10

Edited sdc miscalulation
Reagren Wright

VIsgar wrote:Wow this book is great. I love learning about the history, geography, Iceborn, monsters, Bizantium and more on the Northern religion. Great job all around everyone who helped make it.

That being said I was a little disappointed at all the reprinted skills and spells, but also there is missing Necromancer data (good thing I have High Seas).

One change I didn't quiet get was in WB3 2 Dragons Horns in union was 2d4x10 damage and 350 sdc, but in Bizantium the attack becomes 2d4x10+10 with the same sdc. I don't quiet understand why that change was made not that it has affected any of my players or I. No one's been a Necromancer yet. I figured if you were a Necromancer who's killed a dragon you'd just wear its head and not a pair of horns.

8/10

Edited sdc miscalulation

Thank you for the kind words :ok: . Yes I was a little annoyed with the cut and paste treatment
of the Necromancer. I'm sure those changes we made accidently in the editing process. Early
editions of Necromancer in High Sea were missing the same material, which is why its missing
again in Bizantium. If you like the format Bizantium went, the same will appear in Lopan and Phi
and pretty much anything else I write for PF. Skills were reprinted because Bizantium is a sea
travel book so its easier just to reprint those skills. I have a goal to transfer many skills from Yin
Slot 1st edition to 2nd edition by reintroducing them in new books.I also want to bring over any
skill in the Palladium Megaverse that fit for the setting.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

Phi and Lopan is there an approximate eta on that book release (6 months, 2 years, tbd)?

It would be wonderful to get a updated or expanded Holistic: Chemistry.
Reagren Wright

Unfortunately cannot give you a time table on that. Right now Kevin has several other
items on his plate, including as announced at the Open House Palladium's first digital
only release of interactive atlas, written by yours truly and Hot Rod (map maker
extraordinarire). We're crossing our fingers on this project which involves the Great
Northern Wilderness/Wolfen Empire to see what exactly happens and if it meets with
Kevin's approval. We shall try to keep PF fans informed as much as we are allowed.

Garden of the Gods takes place in Lopan so information that appears in that book
could alter material in Lopan. To avoid errors Lopan as well as Lopanic Games and Phi
have to wait to see what happens here.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Good Luck with the Project, I hope Kevin just doesn't sit on it for years but with you 2 on it will be good.
zyanitevp
Champion

Reagren Wright wrote:Unfortunately cannot give you a time table on that. Right now Kevin has several other
items on his plate, including as announced at the Open House Palladium's first digital
only release of interactive atlas, written by yours truly and Hot Rod (map maker
extraordinarire). We're crossing our fingers on this project which involves the Great
Northern Wilderness/Wolfen Empire to see what exactly happens and if it meets with
Kevin's approval. We shall try to keep PF fans informed as much as we are allowed.

Garden of the Gods takes place in Lopan so information that appears in that book
could alter material in Lopan. To avoid errors Lopan as well as Lopanic Games and Phi
have to wait to see what happens here.

Cannot wait for the interactive atlas!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I know I am a wee bit late to the party, but I have just very happily re-read Bizantium. An excellent book that definitely grew further on me during my second reading.

I love the description of the city of Bizantium, especially the taverns and inns section and how each major item has a story and is hidden somewhere (my favourite is the hammer of Belimar for its hiding place). Great and enjoyable to find details like the story about the elven high priest in the city or the character backgrounds for the innkeepers. Absolutely love descriptions like the ancient elven monastery, just came to life for me!

A small criticism is the mention of an inn franchise. That, for me, is too modern and sad. It is what helps kill the individuality of pubs and makes modern cityscapes so boring and uniform, but, happily, The Grinning Goblin (great tavern) does not go that far and stays far away from being as bland as even a tiny McDonaldization threatens.

All that said, when I read the book I could not help but feel the love for the Palladium Fantasy world and its uniqueness. It feels like a story told by a man who was there!

I am not so much into giant creatures and the North does have an abundance of them, but, wow, they are impressive. Not a part of the oceans where a sailor will get much rest! I find the Iceborn a bit too strong, but those are some truly ogrish „white walker“ Vikings - the bone ships and the sea witches make me shudder! Definitely appropriate and a compliment to the writing.

Beastla, not such a fan of the name, but her and Brgg are great additions to the chorus of PF gods. Beastla also is a very nice nod to the Ragnarök serpent and Brgg to Fenris (with the chains). Always a sucker for new gods that fit the PF bill, these two do!

Outstanding artwork as a cherry on top. Shame, though, that there is no picture of a stone ship.

Well done!

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Reagren Wright

Thank you for the complements. Yes the Iceborn are a bit too strong. Not entirely my doing. The
best way to solve this I believe is to negate their A.R. The goal of Bizantium was to flesh out a place
that had no meat or potatoes to it in as seen in Adventure in the High Seas. Lots of easter eggs in
the books. If you like this format it will continue in Lopan, Phi, and etc.
zyanitevp
Champion

Reagren Wright wrote:Thank you for the complements. Yes the Iceborn are a bit too strong. Not entirely my doing. The
best way to solve this I believe is to negate their A.R. The goal of Bizantium was to flesh out a place
that had no meat or potatoes to it in as seen in Adventure in the High Seas. Lots of easter eggs in
the books. If you like this format it will continue in Lopan, Phi, and etc.

Can't wait for the Phi & Lopan books!
My Twitter
Image Image
Reagren Wright

Hanging out at Gen Con talking to fans about Bizantium must have shook up my memory cells and it allowed me to recall something,
specifically about an issue about fish market prices. Some friends asked why is tuna valued so low? Well it comes from the fact that I based
the material on the actual fish that were eaten in Medieval Europe in the 12th and 13th century, and I'm sorry to say tuna was not one of them.
tuna is a deep sea fish and the ability to fish for such animals is not easy at all. So considering the hardship of fishing in the Sea of Despair and
North Sea and tuna not being a popular fish to eat and considering the fish getting its Earth size makes it a meal likely to be eaten by sea
serpents and other stuff there is no real value in tuna. So that's where that comes from.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”