Dragon hoard?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Heres_Beefy
D-Bee

Dragon hoard?

Unread post by Heres_Beefy »

Hey everyone,
I am planning a mission and I plan to have my group fight a basilisk, my question is if they are successful is there somewhere in the books that wil outline te treasure it has accumulated? I checked the dragons and gods book and it says that reassures can rang from thousands to tens of thousands and even more.
How do you guys determine the loot and items that are found?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Dragon hoard?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

"What do I want the players to have?"

The thing for me is that working with coins really changed my view of dragon hoards. I used to think of mountains of coins, but realized that a container the size of a shoe box would hold about 500 coins, and 500 coins doesn't mean 500gp value; there's some multiple GP coins out there.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Depends on the dragon, if its a cultured smarter type dragon I will usually give it works of art, statues, musical instruments and the like as well as gems and gold, but how much depends on the type, age and location of said dragon.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Conversion book 1 (unrevised has the stats for a dragon hoard on the top of page 120
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

That's the perfect time to introduce plot devices. Maps or books on lost kingdoms or to forgotten treasure. The first of a set of __# of magic weapons that will lead to a quest. Special scrolls that will be helpful to the characters etc.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

It really all depends on the dragon. What are they interested in? How recluse or in touch with society are they.

Some might even have an account in a bank somewhere. Or even worse go into baking. You pay your debt, you pay on time, you pay in full OR ELSE!

Also older and wiser dragons more than likely don't hoard it all in one spot. So one dragon might have a couple of smaller hordes in addition to it's main horde.

In addition consider the risk level of some of the items it may have attained over the years. Some might be highly dangerous items that have to be kept in a special vault. Others could be prized possessions taken from a foe that said foe would literally kill to get back.

If I was a dragon that spent time traveling from one dimension to another I would move my valuables from place to place to decrease the likelihood of being robbed. Imagine the looks on your players faces when the dragon flees and they access the horde which is kept in crates. They start busting them open only to find US Dollars.

Completely useless in the Palladium world! worst they could do is be spiteful and set fire to them. And then the Dragon will seek revenge. Hey just cuz the party has no idea how valuable the money was they destroyed doesn't make it any less offensive and isn't a loss for the dragon financially.

HA you could even have credsticks from RIFTS laying about. Congrats you are a credit bazillionaire! Now go find out where in the megaverse they will accept those as payment!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dragon hoards only look impressive until you realize that only the top layer is coins, and underneath is just a bunch of old newspapers, and cats.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Here is what I would do...I would ask myself: What do I want them to have? How much gold should they have? How many items should they have? How many weapons should they get? How many of these things should be plot devices (such as maps, scrolls, books, histories, names of ancient nobility that the dragon has kept up to date as a hobby and could link a PC's family directly to a noble line and/or discredit and prove a knight's or noble's line is invalid, an ancient vampire's journal, history of the time of a thousand magics, history of inventions, history of magic from the time of a thousand magics, a song of healing that calls upon an unknown god to heal, history a list of ancient gods names long forgotten in the world of Palladium Fantasy and where their statues are located, a list of old ones and where their remains can be found, complete accounting of the Elf Dwarf war, map to a dwarven forge, a complete map of the palladium world drawn from the moon, etc)?, how many spells and which ones should the wizard get from a spell book? Etc..Then just go from there.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Seems like I'm pushing this site today...

http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/treasure/index.cgi

Enter a few variables, hit the button, and voila! Instant Treasure Hoard!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

kiralon wrote:Depends on the dragon, if its a cultured smarter type dragon I will usually give it works of art, statues, musical instruments and the like as well as gems and gold, but how much depends on the type, age and location of said dragon.

Even, if the GM wants to deal with it, some pieces of technology from the Dragon's dimensional travels. A lava lamp. A plasma sphere (the harmless kind with the arcs running through it). Technology doesn't have to be use full, just like the art maybe it was just aesthetically pleasing to the dragon.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

pblackcrow wrote:Here is what I would do...I would ask myself: What do I want them to have? How much gold should they have? How many items should they have? How many weapons should they get? How many of these things should be plot devices (such as maps, scrolls, books, histories, names of ancient nobility that the dragon has kept up to date as a hobby and could link a PC's family directly to a noble line and/or discredit and prove a knight's or noble's line is invalid, an ancient vampire's journal, history of the time of a thousand magics, history of inventions, history of magic from the time of a thousand magics, a song of healing that calls upon an unknown god to heal, history a list of ancient gods names long forgotten in the world of Palladium Fantasy and where their statues are located, a list of old ones and where their remains can be found, complete accounting of the Elf Dwarf war, map to a dwarven forge, a complete map of the palladium world drawn from the moon, etc)?, how many spells and which ones should the wizard get from a spell book? Etc..Then just go from there.

A map to the ruins of the Ancient humans before the Elves. A history of the time prior to the time of 1000 magics.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:Dragon hoards only look impressive until you realize that only the top layer is coins, and underneath is just a bunch of old newspapers, and cats.

And below that the kitty litter? Eww

So how many cats does a dragon need before it is considered one of those crazy cat dragons?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Dragon hoards only look impressive until you realize that only the top layer is coins, and underneath is just a bunch of old newspapers, and cats.

So how many cats does a dragon need before it is considered one of those crazy cat dragons?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I think it depends on how many rodents it has.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

That depends. Is the dragon raising them as a food source? Or does the dragon just have a thing for kittens?

http://image.blingee.com/images17/content/output/000/000/000/6b2/615564818_181667.gif
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Severus Snape wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

That depends. Is the dragon raising them as a food source? Or does the dragon just have a thing for kittens?

http://image.blingee.com/images17/content/output/000/000/000/6b2/615564818_181667.gif

If the dragon has use for them, then it's not really "hoarding."

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I wonder how many dragons are on hoarder reality shows.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”