The EarthShakers Brigrade - a conumdrum

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Justthis Guy
Explorer

The EarthShakers Brigrade - a conumdrum

Unread post by Justthis Guy »

To be an member of the Earth Shakers the description says one should first be an Ogre and then have an exceptional ability such as magic user, assassins skill or psionics. However I read in the racial descriptions that ogres do not possess psionic ability. How do you guys out there deal with this?

Myself, I allow ALL PC's a chance at psionics even if the books say it is impossible. I give a very low chance roll a 00 or 01 and then they have minor psi abilities at double strength.

Feedback?
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: The EarthShakers Brigrade - a conumdrum

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Justthis Guy wrote:To be an member of the Earth Shakers the description says one should first be an Ogre and then have an exceptional ability such as magic user, assassins skill or psionics. However I read in the racial descriptions that ogres do not possess psionic ability. How do you guys out there deal with this?

Myself, I allow ALL PC's a chance at psionics even if the books say it is impossible. I give a very low chance roll a 00 or 01 and then they have minor psi abilities at double strength.

Feedback?

Hi Guy,

It's "must be an ogre OR have an exceptional ability such as magic, psionics or assassin training". Hope that helps!

SoO
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Soldier of Od wrote:
Justthis Guy wrote:To be an member of the Earth Shakers the description says one should first be an Ogre and then have an exceptional ability such as magic user, assassins skill or psionics. However I read in the racial descriptions that ogres do not possess psionic ability. How do you guys out there deal with this?

Feedback?

Hi Guy,

It's "must be an ogre OR have an exceptional ability such as magic, psionics or assassin training". Hope that helps!

SoO

OK....what is EarthShakers Brigrade?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Feedback?

Ogres not having psionic ability is something that came about in 2nd edition. If you contrast the OCCs available to Ogres ("Any, without restriction") to Trolls ("Any, except psychic PCCs and Illusionist"), it seems reasonable to assume that ogres are meant to be psychic.

But that, along with the change in ogre and troll size, and the slashing of changeling lifespans, are some things I dislike about 2e's changes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Justthis Guy
Explorer

Unread post by Justthis Guy »

I have to agree with you Mark. Considering that Ogres are a from a male ogre and female human it would make sense that they would psionic ability (a chance there of) like a human would. I do give them normal chances at psionics and would allow an ogre mind mage if a player wanted to play it ( but it would be a waste of all that PS!)
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I just assume it was an error in researching and ignore it. (either that or maybe its a subtle hint that they are secretly hiring changling mind mages that are pretending to be ogre psychics.....)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Justthis Guy wrote:I have to agree with you Mark. Considering that Ogres are a from a male ogre and female human it would make sense that they would psionic ability (a chance there of) like a human would. I do give them normal chances at psionics and would allow an ogre mind mage if a player wanted to play it ( but it would be a waste of all that PS!)

Consider that a lot of ogre wizards and men of magic likely come out of Nimro, where they're looking for something to distinguish them among the giants twice their size. It's not a waste of PS when everyone has PS in abundance.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”