Use of the Charm Spell

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Use of the Charm Spell

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Ok, so same campaign, new question. Our Goblin Witch (god I love this game) has at his disposal the Charm spell. Which, as we all know, makes the subject who fails the saving throw believe the caster is cooler than sliced bread. Which I don't have a problem with - if they use Charm and the bad guys have a bad dice roll, you just ended up with a new buddy for the duration.

My question: Does Charm allow the caster to ask for and receive the True Name of the subject thusly Charmed?

I ask because the Summoner in the group (I know - this group is awesome) wants the True Name so they can use the Summon Pawn circle later in the game. Which is a pretty cool tactic, and I'd allow them to do so and summon these loser random encounter bandits and use them as meat shields. However, the Summon Pawn description states that they need the True Name (or a lock of hair), and we have bandits under the influence of Charm, so...

How would you guys rule on this? Can you get True Name from the use of Charm?
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Use of the Charm Spell

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I know for sure Mind Bond does allow you to do this. But I don't think a Charm spell will. What does work is listed in
Mysteries of Magic.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Use of the Charm Spell

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Severus Snape wrote:Ok, so same campaign, new question. Our Goblin Witch (god I love this game) has at his disposal the Charm spell. Which, as we all know, makes the subject who fails the saving throw believe the caster is cooler than sliced bread. Which I don't have a problem with - if they use Charm and the bad guys have a bad dice roll, you just ended up with a new buddy for the duration.

My question: Does Charm allow the caster to ask for and receive the True Name of the subject thusly Charmed?

I ask because the Summoner in the group (I know - this group is awesome) wants the True Name so they can use the Summon Pawn circle later in the game. Which is a pretty cool tactic, and I'd allow them to do so and summon these loser random encounter bandits and use them as meat shields. However, the Summon Pawn description states that they need the True Name (or a lock of hair), and we have bandits under the influence of Charm, so...

How would you guys rule on this? Can you get True Name from the use of Charm?

For me, it would depend on how protective the individual is of their True Name.

In my conception, most people of the world aren't especially protective of their true name... they don't tattoo it on their forehead, but it's also not a complex mystical formula that only a few people have access to. It's their full name, including patrynomic/matrynomic, clan names, baptismal names, etc.... whatever their culture uses. They don't precisely hide it, but it also doesn't come up that often, and they may be a little suspicious if you start asking around.

But under a Charm? A lot of people will tell you, because it's not a secret. Many magic-users and others with Lore: Magic are probably going to be a bit paranoid about it, and I might give them another save to resist a request like that.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”