Extending duration of a spell?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Extending duration of a spell?

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

When your spell duration is about to laps would you let your players extend the duration of a spell by channeling more PPE into said existing spell at long as it is one they have cast?
Prysus
Champion

Re: Extending duration of a spell?

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While I'm not opposed to the idea in concept, while playing the Palladium system I'd say no. If they wanted to extend the duration of a spell they'd need to learn Energize Spell (this is not found in any PF book I'm aware of, but I know it's in RGMG page 111) and follow its limitations. While not a PF spell, it shows that what you're suggesting is not an official method within the Palladium system (and I'd allow conversion of the Rifts spell into PF).

Mind you, as a G.M., I make several exceptions and house rule things all the time, usually depending on power level of the campaign. However, as a general rule, I'd say no. Hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I agree with Prysus, if something hasn't been figured out beforehand i'd say no, but saying that I do have perks that can extend spell magic, but the duration extension is decided at time of casting, not when the spell is about to run out.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

kiralon wrote:I do have perks that can extend spell magic, but the duration extension is decided at time of casting

Tell me how that works. I mean do you double the PPE to cast it or what?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe make a Sorcerous proficiencies from the Nightbane:Though the Glass Darkly,if the spell cast at night it,s longer duration.

Maybe magic item that have the power to boost the duration of spells by it.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would not allow it, though I would allow them to recast (obviously).

Allowing a second duration layered on the first becomes especially problematic when dealing with spells for which there is a saving throw. If they recast, the person gets a new saving throw; if you just let them pump in more PPE, then you remove the chance for a second saving throw.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

ShadowHawk wrote:
kiralon wrote:I do have perks that can extend spell magic, but the duration extension is decided at time of casting

One of my house rules is characters get a certain amount of perks, and one of the perks does this.

Spell Continuation
Doesn’t it suck when you are sneaking around, buffed to the eyeballs with your favourite spells, and you come around a corner to find <Insert favored enemy here> waiting for you, and your buffs run out, and it eats you. That doesn’t have to be you if you take ACME‘s spell continuation, 1 jolt from this puppy will have your spells lasting longer, or at least longer than that knife cutting up hammers

Rank 1
Use 100% more PPE to add %50 the duration of your spells.
Reqs: Maaaaaggiiiiiiiiic

Rank 2
Use 150% more PPE to Double the Duration of your spells.
Reqs: Lvl 5, Rank 1 Spell Extension.

Rank 3
Use 50% more PPE to double the duration of your spells.
Reqs: Lvl 7, Rank 2 Spell Extension.

Spell Extension
Find that your lightning bolts are just stopping short of their intended target, or that the Carpet of adhesion spell barely makes it past your toes. Well, with this perk you can put more effort into ranged spells to, you guessed it, make them hit your opponents more than 2 1/2 miles away*.

Rank 1
Use 100% more PPE to Double the range of your spells.
Reqs: Spellcasting Obviously.

Rank 2
Use 50% more PPE to Double the range of your spells.

Rank 3
Double the range of your spells.

*If you are standing on a 6 point nexus and have a 15000 pt power focus and have 2 1/2 mile long arms.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

ShadowHawk wrote:When your spell duration is about to laps would you let your players extend the duration of a spell by channeling more PPE into said existing spell at long as it is one they have cast?

No you can't. Not normally anyway. I know this because there is a spell that specifically allows you to do it. Like an 'extend duration' spell that costs the P.P.E. of the extension spell plus the P.P.E. of the spell already cast as if to cast it again. However, i can't find it! :D I know it is in one of the books somewhere, but i can't locate it right now! Maybe in Mysteries of Magic? I'll look again.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. While I'm not opposed to the idea in concept, while playing the Palladium system I'd say no. If they wanted to extend the duration of a spell they'd need to learn Energize Spell (this is not found in any PF book I'm aware of, but I know it's in RGMG page 111) and follow its limitations. While not a PF spell, it shows that what you're suggesting is not an official method within the Palladium system (and I'd allow conversion of the Rifts spell into PF).

Mind you, as a G.M., I make several exceptions and house rule things all the time, usually depending on power level of the campaign. However, as a general rule, I'd say no. Hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Just use Energize Spell from Rifts Book of Magic.

BTW - Palladium, Rifts, etc... is a megaversal system which means that the same spell Globe of Daylight that is cast in Rifts is the same that is cast in Phase World, which is the same that is cast in Palladium, which is the same that is cast in Hades or any other dimension. It is all the same. Only ambient magic present in each dimension changes the amplitude of the spell, but it is still the same spell which means that it exists and can be learned by a magic user. Which means you can use spells from Rifts in PF and vice versa.

Or does Baal-Rog from Hades which can cast all level 1-4 fire spells suddenly "gain more knowledge" when he steps through a Rift into Rifts earth and can cast the added spells of Firebolt, Fireblast, Part Fire, Fire Blossom and See Through Smoke. Yet when the same demon steps into the PF world that knowledge and ability is now gone. I think not.

Some GMs prefer not to cross material and I understand why. However, from a Palladium Books perspective all the material crosses over that is why they created a "megaversal system" and made conversion books.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

kiralon wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

One of my house rules is characters get a certain amount of perks, and one of the perks does this.

Spell Continuation
Doesn’t it suck when you are sneaking around, buffed to the eyeballs with your favourite spells, and you come around a corner to find <Insert favored enemy here> waiting for you, and your buffs run out, and it eats you. That doesn’t have to be you if you take ACME‘s spell continuation, 1 jolt from this puppy will have your spells lasting longer, or at least longer than that knife cutting up hammers

Rank 1
Use 100% more PPE to add %50 the duration of your spells.
Reqs: Maaaaaggiiiiiiiiic

Rank 2
Use 150% more PPE to Double the Duration of your spells.

Rank 3
Use 50% more PPE to double the duration of your spells.

Spell Extension
Find that your lightning bolts are just stopping short of their intended target, or that the Carpet of adhesion spell barely makes it past your toes. Well, with this perk you can put more effort into ranged spells to, you guessed it, make them hit your opponents more than 2 1/2 miles away*.

Rank 1
Use 100% more PPE to Double the range of your spells.
Reqs: Spellcasting Obviously.

Rank 2
Use 50% more PPE to Double the range of your spells.

Rank 3
Double the range of your spells.

*If you are standing on a 6 point nexus and have a 15000 pt power focus and have 2 1/2 mile long arms.

Please explain rank in your game.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

When I got fallout 2 it came with the rpg pdf (cut down version) with a heap of perks, I converted some and created others trying to keep the tone of the descriptions as they amused me.
Characters, depending on what race they play get a set amount of perks (Humans get 3 at level 1, the other races 2 or 1 as I thought the other races got too many free bonuses like nightvision or stat bonuses) to start with, and another 1 perk at lvl 2,3,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,14,15
For spell extension it requires that you can cast magic so you can pick rank 1 in it and double the range of your spells for double ppe.
Rank 2 requires that you have rank 1 in spell extension and that you are level 5, If you spend your level 5 perk on spell extension now doubling the range of your spells only costs %50 rather than %100
and if you spend your level 7 perk on spell extension your spell range is now doubled free of charge.

So the Ranks are just levels of power of each perk, a couple of them have 8 ranks.

pm me and I can send you the entire perk list
Soldier of Od
Hero

Mryoto wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:When your spell duration is about to laps would you let your players extend the duration of a spell by channeling more PPE into said existing spell at long as it is one they have cast?

No you can't. Not normally anyway. I know this because there is a spell that specifically allows you to do it. Like an 'extend duration' spell that costs the P.P.E. of the extension spell plus the P.P.E. of the spell already cast as if to cast it again. However, i can't find it! :D I know it is in one of the books somewhere, but i can't locate it right now! Maybe in Mysteries of Magic? I'll look again.

I'm sure I am going to be wrong about this, but I might as well be corrected if I am. Anyway, wouldn't that most likely use up the amount of spells you can cast in a round of actions. If I remember correctly you can only cast a few spells per action rounds, so wouldn't casting 3 spells essentially go over that threshold for most magic users?

If I remember correctly that's not how it works. You cast your original spell as normal. Then, when it is nearing the end of its duration (or anytime during its active period) you can decide to cast your 'extend duration spell' to keep it going. The extend duration spell costs x P.P.E., plus the normal P.P.E. cost of the original spell, but you are not actually casting the original spell again, just casting 'extend duration spell'.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Prysus wrote:
If they wanted to extend the duration of a spell they'd need to learn Energize Spell

Lukterran wrote:Just use Energize Spell from Rifts Book of Magic.

Energize Spell, that's the one! Sorry, I missed that these guys had already mentioned it! From a Rifts book, as usual, but does the job fine in my opinion!
Rifter Contributor:
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

In Through the Glass Darkly (Nightbane) it suggest to increase the duration of the spell by one level, meaning to go from
melee rounds to minutes (say 1d4 melee rounds to 1d4 minutes) would cost double the P.P.E. This would be a modification the
wizard made with the spell. You can do the same with the range as well.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”