What do Jinn look like?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

What do Jinn look like?

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi everybody,

This may be a stupid question, but what do Jinn look like? In my head I’ve somehow got an image somewhere that they look somewhat similar to the classic ‘genie’ from popular fiction, you know, big muscular humanoid with black, white, green or yellow skin, probably with pointy ears and probably wearing a turban and curly shoes, because, well that’s the Jinn fashion.

But I read the Rifts conversion book and saw a picture in the Jinn description showing what is presumably a Black Jinn as a ‘rock monster’. I was surprised at that so I looked for the description of their physical appearance. And didn’t find one. So I went back to the Palladium Fantasy main book – no description there either. And no picture. So I looked further afield and found that everywhere the Jinn are mentioned there is no description of their appearance. It only says that they are 8-24ft tall and naturally invisible. And no picture of one either. In fact I only found one other picture of a Jinn all of the Palladium books across all the various lines (see below).

Their description says that ‘like true elementals, their natural state is invisible; can only be seen by warlocks, etc.’ So does that mean they are actually just kind of shapeless energy beings with no ‘physical’ form? It doesn’t say they’re intangible or anything. I don’t think so as they can wear armour and use physical weapons. And they can only be trapped in a bottle if they have turned to mist.

The most recent occurrence of the Jinn in print is in the Hades book. Again, no description, but there is finally another picture, and this time it looks more like the classic ‘genie’ look. But as many have said, pictures in Palladium books aren’t always right!

So what do they look like?!

I can look up what mythological Jinn are supposed to look like according to the Quran or whatever, but I want to know what a Palladium Jinn looks like according to Palladium books. Can anyone point me to the right book and page? Thanks!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: What do Jinn look like?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd lean towards a classic genie look (though perhaps less Orientalized), but with distinctly unnatural skin... they're not black-like-Manute-Bol, they're black-like-obsidian. Their natural height is anything between 8' and 24', and can change it to whatever they like.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

The books really don't say what they look like. I believe that like most Palladium material it was inspired our own mythology and ancient religions. Which leads me to believe that they are intended to look more like the Quran version of Jinn. That is why they are only described as being invisible in their natural form. I would also assume that they have a generally humanoid form.

However, from a game since I would assume that their appearance relates to the element that they are aligned toward. So I could see a Jinn looking like a "Rock Monsters" if it was a Black Jinn.

Its a good question but I think that detail was left off because much of the actually mythology related to Jinn isn't very specific in describing their appearance.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn#Class ... cteristics

they are based on real mythology.. albeit heavily 'palladium-ized' like usual. in the islamic/arabic belief, they are natural shapeshifters, so i'd say they'd take on the appearance of whatever they wanted to look like, and that in their 'natural form' they are a mass of shimmering energy.. which is what lead to the belief they were created out of fire.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Or how about from the Wishmaster movies?
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

Danny DeVito with a turban
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
Soldier of Od
Hero

Thanks to everyone for your input. Like I said, I can look up what Jinn are supposed look like according to mythology or various depictions in other works of fiction, but I would like to know what the Palladium books say about it, as anything else is basically just making it up myself. Does anyone know of an actual reference in the books to the appearance of a Jinn, perhaps from and NPC or adventure or something that I haven't found? Thanks.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I always figured it would be like Robin William's guy or red-transformed Jafar from Disney's Aladdin.

If you let them possess mortals like Elementals are capable of then the 2002 film "Long Time Dead" gives some ideas on how a fire Djinn might be.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The first ed description with the giant 2 handed scimitar makes them sound like dnd genies except for their colours

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs14/PRE/i/2 ... montes.jpg
Soldier of Od
Hero

kiralon wrote:The first ed description with the giant 2 handed scimitar makes them sound like dnd genies except for their colours

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs14/PRE/i/2 ... montes.jpg

Ah, so there's a description in 1st edition Palladium Fantasy? That's good - probably just what i'm looking for! But telling me they sound like dnd genies doesn't help me i'm afraid, as i don't know what dnd genies look like either, sorry! Can you please let me know what the description in 1st edition PFRPG actually says? Thanks.

I guess the picture you have attached is a representation of one of the genies from the Aladdin story, right? So, although it is a cool picture :ok: it doesn't help me solve the problem! Thanks anyway!
Rifter Contributor:

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”