Death of an Iconic Character

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Death of an Iconic Character

Unread post by zyanitevp »

It happened- our longest running character, over 3 1/2 years in real life and game time, died. Overkill the Dwarven Mariner, reformed pirate, wielder of Callandor and Greminor, wearer of Horus' Light, captain of the magic ship Rogtilda, and longest serving member of CrIsis died in a river of lava. He was killed by servants of the Dark, a group calling itself ReSet. Overkill died at 15th level, with 354,870 experience points. This was the 7th time Overkill had died, but there was no chance of resurrection this time, there was too much damage.... (not that he had much of a chance- I take off 10% for every death when rolling resurrections- so he would have had only a 28% chance).

What is the longest you have had a character before he/she died?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Death of an Iconic Character

Unread post by Torval »

I've never had a character over level 9 as far as I can remember. That being said, we don't actually use the EXP system. The GM just decides when it is appropriate for characters to level based on their actions(or inactions) within the campaigns. I know that is very vague but it works well as long as you have GMs who aren't out to punish/defeat their players. My character who is level 9 is probably the character I have played the longest. Going on about 4 or 5 years of play with that one.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Not Overkill! Noooo! What will CrIsis do now?

Also, I love "ReSet" as their foes name.

I've never played Palladium Fantasy, so I've never had a long-running character in that setting. My longest running character that died was my first Rifts superhuman, she made it to level six before making the terrible, life-ending decision to face War in hand to hand combat.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

*Plays the Dwarven Pipes (Bagpipes) in his honor/memory. (( I imagine it something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40 ))*

Greetings and Salutations. I didn't know Overkill, but the loss of a good Dwarf (especially the loss of a good Dwarf 7 times) is always a tragedy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

His smell remains but his spirit has moved on ;)

Overkill was a mariner
that tarried in Byzantium;
he owned a boat that contained a friend
for the world to journey in;
his sails they were of silver fair,
of gold were his rudder made,
her prow was fashioned like a MKIV Coalition Laser,
and a glow upon her engines laid.

In panoply of ancient kings,
in thick reinforced gold he armoured him
his shining armour was scored with runes
to ward all wounds and harm from him.
of gold was his habergeon,
his scabbard of chalcedony
his sword of runes was valiant
of adamant his helmet tall.

(Slightly edited Earendil was a mariner. TY JRRT)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

zyanitevp wrote:What is the longest you have had a character before he/she died?

My oldest character is an insanely old and powerful character that I have been playing since 1988. Since converting to 2nd Edition he is only a 16th level Undead Hunter / 14th level Summoner (when I lowered his power level). I only use him as an NPC and plot device anymore and don't play him in campaigns.

Not only does he have numerous magic items and about a dozen or so rune weapons. He knows all normal spell knowledge, symbols, circles, and power circles. Plus a number of extras magic spells and circles from Rifts Book of Magic and other unique magic. Like the Clone spell from Yin-Sloth jungles. Circle of Youth (Place of Magic) etc...

His race is human but he is almost an immortal moving his soul from one body to another. He has changed bodies at least a dozen times and has hundreds clone replacements locked away in suspended animation in his citadel in the Land of the Damned should he need them.

He is a true Anarchist or chaotic neutral character too the core. He could either be regarded as one of Palladiums Worlds greatest heroes or one of its greatest villians. He has raised up and brought down kingdoms, destroyed whole armies and cities with this magic and yet at the same time has slain hordes of supernatural monsters and saved the world and many lives in his travels. His friends and fellow travelers are equally as powerful. A master wizard even more talented than himself and a Elven master swordman/longbowman. His two greatest enemies is Lord Modeus and Vald Tegor. Notable allies are Thoth, Epim and Belimar.
zyanitevp
Champion

Lukterran wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:What is the longest you have had a character before he/she died?

My oldest character is an insanely old and powerful character that I have been playing since 1988. Since converting to 2nd Edition he is only a 16th level Undead Hunter / 14th level Summoner (when I lowered his power level). I only use him as an NPC and plot device anymore and don't play him in campaigns.

Not only does he have numerous magic items and about a dozen or so rune weapons. He knows all normal spell knowledge, symbols, circles, and power circles. Plus a number of extras magic spells and circles from Rifts Book of Magic and other unique magic. Like the Clone spell from Yin-Sloth jungles. Circle of Youth (Place of Magic) etc...

His race is human but he is almost an immortal moving his soul from one body to another. He has changed bodies at least a dozen times and has hundreds clone replacements locked away in suspended animation in his citadel in the Land of the Damned should he need them.

He is a true Anarchist or chaotic neutral character too the core. He could either be regarded as one of Palladiums Worlds greatest heroes or one of its greatest villians. He has raised up and brought down kingdoms, destroyed whole armies and cities with this magic and yet at the same time has slain hordes of supernatural monsters and saved the world and many lives in his travels. His friends and fellow travelers are equally as powerful. A master wizard even more talented than himself and a Elven master swordman/longbowman. His two greatest enemies is Lord Modeus and Vald Tegor. Notable allies are Thoth, Epim and Belimar.

Now that is an investment!! What is this godlike person called?
My Twitter
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I find a certain irony in "Overkill" having been killed too many times.

Alas for CrIsis! To lose such a champion is a great loss, indeed!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

zyanitevp wrote:
Lukterran wrote:

Now that is an investment!! What is this godlike person called?

The character is named Luk Terran & he is not as cool as he thinks he is :P

Also Luk you need to start your game back up & you can't use baby Thor as an excuse.
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Hotrod wrote:I find a certain irony in "Overkill" having been killed too many times.

Alas for CrIsis! To lose such a champion is a great loss, indeed!

Irony indeed!

I had a character who died 4 times, was 13th level the last time he went down. Let's see...ignoble ends...

Skull crushed by a Gallu
Cut to pieces by a Wolfen warlord's elite guard
Paralyzed by a psychic and stabbed to death
And finally, had a 30v1 fight. They finally got me when there were only 7 left. I complained to no end to my GM they would have run away far before that. :P

You know, it's a testement to how difficult it is to hit 15th, how rare it is among mortals, when the people who make it past 10 have done so by being resurrected, sometimes more than once.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I am glad that you all got a chance to miss Overkill. I really enjoyed playing that character. I have never had a character go from level 7 to level 15. He is such a part of the fabric of the game. The GM still talks about it. Fun stuff... really fun stuff...
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
zyanitevp
Champion

Zenvis wrote:I am glad that you all got a chance to miss Overkill. I really enjoyed playing that character. I have never had a character go from level 7 to level 15. He is such a part of the fabric of the game. The GM still talks about it. Fun stuff... really fun stuff...

He started at Level 4.... I have proof!
My Twitter
Image Image
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Was he really that inexperienced? Wow.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

zyanitevp wrote:It happened- our longest running character, over 3 1/2 years in real life and game time, died. Overkill the Dwarven Mariner, reformed pirate, wielder of Callandor and Greminor, wearer of Horus' Light, captain of the magic ship Rogtilda, and longest serving member of CrIsis died in a river of lava. He was killed by servants of the Dark, a group calling itself ReSet. Overkill died at 15th level, with 354,870 experience points. This was the 7th time Overkill had died, but there was no chance of resurrection this time, there was too much damage.... (not that he had much of a chance- I take off 10% for every death when rolling resurrections- so he would have had only a 28% chance).

What is the longest you have had a character before he/she died?

Farewell Overkill, you shall be missed.

However, the powergamer in me couldn't help but cry out "What, level fifteen and you STILL had nothing that gives impervious to fire? it's like a third level spell!" :lol:

Seriously, it's always sad when a longrunner char dies. Game on, though!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”